Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Thread: Is Art a Waste of Time

Senior Member Honoured LoudAndAnnoying's Avatar
    Level completed: 53%, Points required for next Level: 330
    Achievements:
    1000 Experience Points Tagger Third Class 3 months registered Conversation Starter
    Quote Originally Posted by Desmion View Post
    The baseball example. Is baseball art? The answer is simple. It depends what your looking at. Is the image of a painted baseball player considered art while a beautiful throwing technique not given the same consideration? In my opinion, both are works of art for different reasons.

While some may call art based solely on effort and interpretation, i would lile to point out that some works of art lack both. The example of the colorful lines being a good example. Art must mean something to the beholder. If it doesnt mean anything to you, then you are not affected.
    While I understand that there is the common analogy of comparing a player's pitch or other technique to an art form, I wouldn't consider it an art form. As for art only needing to mean something to the beholder, I can't agree with that definition. The view of a mountain may be preferred to a painting of one by someone, but it would not be considered a work of art.

Art needs to have a creator, that's one clear prerequisite. Art also needs to effectively convey something through it, an emotion or an idea, that's where a baseball pitch falls short, while a game may be emotionally charged and involve strategy, it is not in itself a way to convey thought or emotion. Last I'd say art needs to last, a painting can last hundreds of years, a book can be read an infinite number of times, it needs to be something that is repeatable to a degree, songs can be sung again, nothing that only exists in the moment is considered art, as art needs to come from intent, not happenstance, in essence part of art is a way to come closer to quantifying and understand an emotion or thought, so it has to last.
    Last edited by LoudAndAnnoying; 09-29-2015 at 09:19 PM.

Level completed: 1%, Points required for next Level: 1,494
    Achievements:
    Tagger Third Class 10000 Experience Points Party Person Conversation Starter Repped! Third Class
    Quote Originally Posted by LoudAndAnnoying View Post
    When I was a child, and I tried to draw, or sculpt out of clay, or whatever, and it was awful, and it looked like crap, and some asshole said, "Oh that's cute, what is it?" thinking they're being nice when they're saying they can't even identify this horrid little blob, I'd feel pretty shitty.
    Please tell me this isn't a real argument.... Then you had no imagination as a child. When my nephew sits and draws, it doesn't look like anything, why? Because he is a untrained child who draws because its fun. When I asked what it is, I'll hear many things; trains, trucks, and so on. To a child, or most children drawing is expressing their imagination freely whether or not it looks like a damn thing. I remember when I was a child, I drew a yugioh card, it was perfect, but it represented that cards likeness to a point where some people didn't believe I drew it and you know what, I didn't give a damn. Because I enjoyed myself and it was my escape.

When expressionists draw something, and no one can tell what the hell it is, they have the fucking audacity to say it's everyone else' fault. "They just don't get it."
    What... Movement didn't fucking do this? You can attach the damn statement to literally EVERY DAMN THING PAST ACADEMIC!

It doesn't convey a fleeting moment, if it did, I'd look at it and be reminded of a fleeting moment, saying I'm too dumb or narrow minded when you fail, just makes you an asshole, not an artist.
    ...and you are who? Oh, a guy who doesn't movement. I understand, you don't like the movement, it doesn't look like a fleeting moment because it doesn't fit your conception of what is or isn't art. But, then again, art doesn't conform to your ideas. I don't like minimalism, cubism, tubism, futurism, synthesism, and quite a few others but I don't shit talk it...or anyone who has a different perspective than me about them.

And now you say art is representation in visual form? It keeps changing what art is! How does it do that? Is it magic maybe? I don't know, the definition, you look at it one minute and it's creativity, blink and it's expression. No wait, what? look again, what is it now, representation in visual form! But wait what's it now? Whatever the fuck is convenient!!! Hurray! there it is, everybody come and see the miracle, art defined, "whatever the fuck is convenient!"
    And now the gloves come off... Do you even know know what the fuck your are talking about? The fucking answer is no you don't, you just open your god damn mouth to spew shit without substance.

Let's start with " what is art"

ärt/

noun

1. the expression or application of human creative skill and imagination, typically in a visual form such as painting or sculpture, producing works to be appreciated primarily for their beauty or emotional power.

"the art of the Renaissance"

synonyms:fine art,*artwork

"he studied art"

2. The various branches of creative activity, such as painting, music, literature, and dance.

So first off, there is no singular damn definition for what is art, since art itself branches far beyond drawing and painting.

But, we shall focus on one type of art right now, visual art...

"Mr. Peabody, what is ""visual art?""

The*visual arts*are*art*forms such as ceramics, drawing, painting, sculpture, printmaking, design, crafts, photography, video, filmmaking and architecture...

"Mr Peabody, is anime a.. "

Nope, I'm sorry we are beyond this question.

"Why is that Mr Peabody?"

Because this idiot, just took the ideas and concepts for a classical style of painting. One I specifically stated dealt with expressionism. Then tries to twist it against what I said when I was speaking of current contemporary form of drawing, painting, and animated; which I might add, by the very definition of visual arts, ITS A FUCKING ARTFORM!

He also seem to not understand that art, AS A SUBJECT MATTER, ART IS FUCKING SUBJECTIVE! THIS IS WHY SOME PEOPLE CAN HATE CLASSICAL, BUT LOVE MODERNISM OR POST MODERNISM!

And you know what? It's still wrong. Even if that was the definition you gave previously. Have you ever seen an illustration, in a manual, or instructions, and thought, "Oh, that's art." No. Is it a visual representation of form? Yes it is! But a picture of a lawnmower with directions, is not art!
    And now Sherman, that same person, seems to believe they possess a level of telepathy because he literally just tried to tell me what I perceive to be and not to be art.

"Oh my Mr Peabody..."

Now, how I know that this motherfucker doesn't have telepathy. If he did, then he would know, amongst my many collection of art books, I have a few industrial design books, and a few architecture books, because I respect both as a form of mother fucking art!

https://scontent-atl3-1.xx.fbcdn.net...30&oe=568820C7

https://scontent-atl3-1.xx.fbcdn.net...34&oe=568C35E6

https://scontent-iad3-1.xx.fbcdn.net...cd&oe=56898EF1

https://scontent-iad3-1.xx.fbcdn.net...2a&oe=569D2532

https://scontent-iad3-1.xx.fbcdn.net...4f&oe=56977925
    Last edited by Shaman; 09-29-2015 at 10:27 PM.

Level completed: 52%, Points required for next Level: 681
    Achievements:
    1 year registered 10000 Experience Points Repped! Second Class Full Profile! Conversation Starter
    Art doesn't have a definition.

When people think that this can be defined as art, I lose all touch with any variation of its definition.

Forum Moderator Honoured AlexError's Avatar
    Level completed: 76%, Points required for next Level: 217
    Achievements:
    1000 Experience Points Full Profile! 1 year registered Arm of the Law! Repped! First Class
    Quote Originally Posted by ImAeternalis View Post
    Art doesn't have a definition.

When people think that this can be defined as art, I lose all touch with any variation of its definition.

-snip-
    Art is what people call the result of creativity. But creativity in and of itself is an illusion, and is not constrained to humans, such that technical skill is considered art. It is this that makes it inevitable that algorithms and machines will automate the creative arts professions both now and in the future.
    Disclaimer: I am a volunteer moderator. I work on best judgement and do not speak on behalf of Hi-Rez Studios.

If you have any queries about moderation or any miscellaneous questions, send me a PM. If you want to leave feedback about a moderator, use this form. If you want to view the Code of Conduct, click here.

Remember to use the report function to direct the moderators straight to the post!

Achievements:
    1000 Experience Points Tagger Third Class 3 months registered Conversation Starter
    Quote Originally Posted by Shaman View Post
    -snip-
    Yes, it's my fault, I don't get it. Here we are, right after you say your fake artists don't do that, you then again blame the viewer for an "artists" failure to convey what they mean.

You are disgusting. How does one become so fucking self absorbed they can blame everything they do wrong on someone else.

Level completed: 1%, Points required for next Level: 1,494
    Achievements:
    Tagger Third Class 10000 Experience Points Party Person Conversation Starter Repped! Third Class
    Yes, it's my fault, I don't get it. Here we are, right after you say your fake artists don't do that, you then again blame the viewer for an "artists" failure to convey what they mean.

You are disgusting. How does one become so fucking self absorbed they can blame everything they do wrong on someone else.
    How do you even breath with you're head so far up your own god damn ass like that?

I sat here and gave definition, actual explanation behind thought processes, but you are stuck in; "I'm right because art is only what I think it is way." You can only teach those willing to learn, you obviously aren't.

Ex-Forum Moderator Infamous IrishPotato's Avatar
    Level completed: 54%, Points required for next Level: 691
    Achievements:
    1 year registered Discussion Ender 10000 Experience Points Full Profile! Arm of the Law!
    Awards:
    Arm of Law
    Keep the thread free of flame and insults. This goes to all parties present.
    Don't be fooled by the EX. The King is immortal

Otaku Mod Infamous MiyobiKumagawa's Avatar
    Level completed: 71%, Points required for next Level: 818
    Achievements:
    Tagger Third Class 25000 Experience Points Arm of the Law! Discussion Ender Party Person
    Awards:
    Most Popular
    BAM! http://blogs.babson.edu/entrepreneur...n-is-also-art/
    http://animatum.blogspot.com/2007/11...seriously.html
    http://www.esfmedia.com/m/page/Can+a...an+art+form%3F

The Nostalgia critic video again points out the video games along with even putting comic books as art.
    *Disclaimer: I am a volunteer moderator. I work on best judgement and do not speak on behalf of Hi-Rez Studios.*

Achievements:
    Quote Originally Posted by MiyobiKumagawa View Post
    BAM! http://blogs.babson.edu/entrepreneur...n-is-also-art/
    http://animatum.blogspot.com/2007/11...seriously.html
    http://www.esfmedia.com/m/page/Can+a...an+art+form%3F

The Nostalgia critic video again points out the video games along with even putting comic books as art.
    Again, I didn't watch the video, and I'm not reading those. The way I see it, if someone can't speak for themselves, no point in talking to them.

Quote Originally Posted by Shaman View Post
    How do you even breath with you're head so far up your own god damn ass like that?

I sat here and gave definition, actual explanation behind thought processes, but you are stuck in; "I'm right because art is only what I think it is way." You can only teach those willing to learn, you obviously aren't.
    I have supplied, the only reasonable definition for art, you ignore it and accuse of saying "art is whatever I say it is."

You can't teach those unwilling to learn.

Otaku Mod Infamous MiyobiKumagawa's Avatar
    Level completed: 71%, Points required for next Level: 818
    Achievements:
    Tagger Third Class 25000 Experience Points Arm of the Law! Discussion Ender Party Person
    Awards:
    Most Popular
    Again, I didn't watch the video, and I'm not reading those. The way I see it, if someone can't speak for themselves, no point in talking to them.

I have supplied, the only reasonable definition for art, you ignore it and accuse of saying "art is whatever I say it is."

You can't teach those unwilling to learn.
    At the same time you can't seem to take in points and instead deny everything given to you. We can only disagree at this point.
    *Disclaimer: I am a volunteer moderator. I work on best judgement and do not speak on behalf of Hi-Rez Studios.*