Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Is Art a Waste of Time

Level completed: 1%, Points required for next Level: 1,494
    Achievements:
    Tagger Third Class 10000 Experience Points Party Person Conversation Starter Repped! Third Class

Is Art a Waste of Time

You all know me by now; during one of my worthwhile internet surf I crossed a question on Debate.org, "Is art a waste of time?" I'm honestly quite surprised at some of the answers I've seen.

https://scontent.xx.fbcdn.net/hphoto...ab&oe=56924CC2
    https://scontent.xx.fbcdn.net/hphoto...64&oe=565D9048

And not so surprised at some of the other answers.
    https://scontent.xx.fbcdn.net/hphoto...56&oe=568936A5
    https://scontent.xx.fbcdn.net/hphoto...ca&oe=569F909A

Now I bring the question here, is art a waste of time?

To put it bluntly, NO! I've learned that the average person don't even understand that Art is and fine art has vast differences.

Fine art: Creative art, esp. visual art, whose products are to be appreciated primarily or solely for their imaginative, aesthetic, or intellectual content. (from Google)

Art: 1. the expression or application of human creative skill and imagination, typically in a visual form such as painting or sculpture, producing works to be appreciated primarily for their beauty or emotional power.
    2. The various branches of creative activity, such as painting, music, literature, and dance. (from Google)

While Art and Fine art share similar definitions on one level, Art actually is multiple different forms from writing, to music, to cooking, and design (ex. Industrial design; you know the process that made that table, that computer, cups, and many other objects people enjoy in this world today.) As I said before, the average Joe doesn’t understand exactly how intricate art is in our world and society. I’ve experienced this first hand from many people, even my own parents. Here are two stories, one of my mother and one of my pops.

It was my second-third year of college and I was looking for a place to stay due to loan problems, I could no longer stay in the overpriced housing (rooms in different apartment complexes) that the college had us in. My mother, my current professor, and I were discussing new living arrangements when my mother had a question. “Exactly what can my son do with a art degree, what work can he get?” My professor was quite shocked at the question, but started going into how everything you see from ads and poster boards to the very soda can/bottle people drink from were all designed by the hands of artist. Architectural design, industrial designs are two major forms of art I could go into.

My father and auntie had a similar talk with me… well, that went more along the lines of; “You don’t make any real money in art until after you die; unless you are a draft artist that is.” I spend who knows how long trying to help them see past that miss conception on ART and how they are mostly thinking about art on the level of Fine Art Painters and how I was working to be a visual illustrator. I’m not trying to sit in a gallery and sell painting, I’m not against it thought…obviously. I would rather sell my skill, not my art in general.

This wasn’t the last time I’ve had to have similar conversations with people, but it opened my eyes to how disconnected most non artist are to just exactly how intricate art is to the world we live in.

So.. how do you feel about the idea that “art is a waste of time.”
    No matter what planet...
    No matter what galaxy...
    They always look up in wonder.
    Some fall to their knees in worship.
    Others hide behind walls and towers.
    But the thing they do best... is beg for mercy.
    It's just... adorable.

Abandon hope all ye who reply to me!

Senior Member Honoured Jezereal's Avatar
    Level completed: 1%, Points required for next Level: 899
    Achievements:
    1000 Experience Points 3 months registered Full Profile! Tagger Third Class Repped! First Class
    Is art a waste of time, no. Is spamming your art everywhere on the smite forums ok? Also a no. I like art, what I don't appreciate is having art shoved in my face as actually embedded in the off-topic. [For the love of everything use links...] If I went through and counted the unavoidable art images people posted in off-topic, I think id be close to 500. I'm ok with art. I'm not ok with people showing off their art, and flaunting it with no way to avoid it except don't be here. Same reasons I don't go to art museums. I look at the art I want to look at, I don't wish to be tour guided at WHAT I should look at.
    Sounds pretty harsh, but I am real sick of 'art' or peoples ideas of it, and force feeding it to me.
    I can carry you in Omnipotence game mode, or any other with 80% CDR, send me an invite IGN: Jezereal
    The 10k post award belongs to bob.
    This man deserves a medal.
    Quote Originally Posted by Macaulyn View Post
    If you're gonna keep posting without reading anything, you better not even show yourself in the topic.

Senior Member Prestigious RippleApple's Avatar
    Level completed: 7%, Points required for next Level: 1,307
    Achievements:
    Tagger Third Class Full Profile! Repped! Third Class Repped! First Class 10000 Experience Points
    Art fulfills psychological desires. We're not robots. A healthy mind is important. I recall an interesting take on the subject by, of all things, Fairly Oddparents. http://fairlyoddparents.wikia.com/wiki/The_Same_Game

If we were all grey blobs... what would life be like?

Level completed: 1%, Points required for next Level: 1,494
    Achievements:
    Tagger Third Class 10000 Experience Points Party Person Conversation Starter Repped! Third Class
    Quote Originally Posted by Jezereal View Post
    Is art a waste of time, no. Is spamming your art everywhere on the smite forums ok? Also a no. I like art, what I don't appreciate is having art shoved in my face as actually embedded in the off-topic. [For the love of everything use links...]
    Shots being fired, huh?
    Quote Originally Posted by RippleApple View Post
    Art fulfills psychological desires. We're not robots. A healthy mind is important. I recall an interesting take on the subject by, of all things, Fairly Oddparents. http://fairlyoddparents.wikia.com/wiki/The_Same_Game

If we were all grey blobs... what would life be like?

I remember that episode, and I agree that art has a strong psychological level to it then some people seem to understand.
    Last edited by Shaman; 09-28-2015 at 11:57 AM.

Level completed: 52%, Points required for next Level: 681
    Achievements:
    1 year registered 10000 Experience Points Repped! Second Class Full Profile! Conversation Starter
    I'm very bitter towards visual arts because of my elementary school art teacher being one of the worst people I've met.

I have a burning passion for music, though. I despise simple music and music that's made exclusively for mainstream success. (Bullshit like that stupid Gangnam Style Song or Happy.) But anything with substance and emotion is my stuff. Be it a soaring classical melody, an earthshattering beat in a rap song, a fast, brutal death metal song, or an old fashioned man with a guitar, music is amazing.

Level completed: 71%, Points required for next Level: 265
    Achievements:
    1 year registered Repped! Second Class 5000 Experience Points
    Some art that falls in the "abstract" category I find to be a waste of time. Perhaps it's just a lack of understanding on my part.

Those that say art in all it's forms is useless though...I wonder if they've ever enjoyed a good movie or read a good book. May not cure Ebola, but entertainment is something I find is necessary.
    Support Main.

Level completed: 52%, Points required for next Level: 681
    Achievements:
    1 year registered 10000 Experience Points Repped! Second Class Full Profile! Conversation Starter
    Quote Originally Posted by Agent2090 View Post
    Some art that falls in the "abstract" category I find to be a waste of time. Perhaps it's just a lack of understanding on my part.

Those that say art in all it's forms is useless though...I wonder if they've ever enjoyed a good movie or read a good book. May not cure Ebola, but entertainment is something I find is necessary.
    Abstract art is good when done right.

Good:

this is a beautiful peice of art that uses color in a more outlandish way than usual.

Bad:

this is bullshit. It's a bunch of lines without any purpose or goal.

Senior Member Prestigious RippleApple's Avatar
    Level completed: 7%, Points required for next Level: 1,307
    Achievements:
    Tagger Third Class Full Profile! Repped! Third Class Repped! First Class 10000 Experience Points
    I think those individuals who consider art a waste of time because they believe mankind should focus on scientific progress usually happen to never have contributed to scientific progress in any meaningful way in their entire lives.

If they have, then I can respect them as an individual despite disagreeing with their viewpoint, but those people who sit in judgment of others not producing something of more merit yet aren't producing anything that they consider of more merit themselves are simply hypocrites. At least artists are producing something that makes people happy. There are plenty of things more precious than that, but if you aren't producing anything more precious yourself... why are you even opening your mouth to put them down?

Otaku Mod Infamous MiyobiKumagawa's Avatar
    Level completed: 71%, Points required for next Level: 818
    Achievements:
    Tagger Third Class 25000 Experience Points Arm of the Law! Discussion Ender Party Person
    Awards:
    Most Popular
    Art is never a waste of time, but by community standards of perception of drawing and painting is not enticing in their own realistic sense of view of making money. To people without artistic passion, art is garbage because it brings no money to the table.

Luckily with a growing market in the digital age such as anime, cartoons, and video games that art can also evolve with the times.

There's one person here on the forums that Shaman and a few others know that think that true art lies in the classics. Meaning Van Gogh, Picasso, Leonardo, etc. His concept of art is literally fudged up. Art is defined in forms whether the style or shape. Art is art.

People can't appreciate art because they don't understand it. They don't understand it because the world is black and green filled with money. Art is not a business, it's a passion.
    *Disclaimer: I am a volunteer moderator. I work on best judgement and do not speak on behalf of Hi-Rez Studios.*

Senior Member Honoured LoudAndAnnoying's Avatar
    Level completed: 53%, Points required for next Level: 330
    Achievements:
    1000 Experience Points Tagger Third Class 3 months registered Conversation Starter
    Life for the sake of life is meaningless, there needs to be something else to life besides survival, so arguing that it would be more productive to try and cure a disease is silly, there needs to be something besides survival to life, not necessarily art, but something.

Quote Originally Posted by Agent2090 View Post
    They say art's supposed to be expression, convey a message, if it doesn't convey the message well, it's not good art. If something takes explanation to most people, it's probably just bad art.

Quote Originally Posted by MiyobiKumagawa View Post
    There's one person here on the forums that Shaman and a few others know that think that true art lies in the classics. Meaning Van Gogh, Picasso, Leonardo, etc. His concept of art is literally fudged up. Art is defined in forms whether the style or shape. Art is art.
    People who live in glass houses, should not throw stones. You consider Anime art, it takes a pretty fucked up definition of art to think that. Anime is a fad, stupid hipster bullshit, and I'll be glad to see it die down. You consider moving to digital mediums the evolution of art, art has been cheapened by it in most cases, moving to digital mediums is mostly used as nothing more than a shortcut, and I don't see lazy art as more evolved.

Also don't name and shame, your a moderator... jeez.
    Last edited by LoudAndAnnoying; 09-29-2015 at 09:37 AM.