Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: "Don't take HoG"

New Member Cupidhead Rehabilitate's Avatar
    Level completed: 12%, Points required for next Level: 353

"Don't take HoG"

Why? Is it not still important as a tool for securing big objectives? I keep seeing people bring up that the clear time is too slow to be worth it, or that it's not necessary to clear. Of course this is true because that's not its primary purpose. I don't understand how people just toss it aside as if they aren't going to get Fire Giant and Fury stolen from them.

Ex-Forum Moderator Infamous IrishPotato's Avatar
    Level completed: 54%, Points required for next Level: 691
    Achievements:
    1 year registered Discussion Ender 10000 Experience Points Full Profile! Arm of the Law!
    Awards:
    Arm of Law
    Quote Originally Posted by Rehabilitate View Post
    Is it not still important as a tool for securing big objectives?
    This is the answer.
    Don't be fooled by the EX. The King is immortal

Otaku Mod Infamous MiyobiKumagawa's Avatar
    Level completed: 71%, Points required for next Level: 818
    Achievements:
    Tagger Third Class 25000 Experience Points Arm of the Law! Discussion Ender Party Person
    Awards:
    Most Popular
    Quote Originally Posted by Rehabilitate View Post
    Why? Is it not still important as a tool for securing big objectives? I keep seeing people bring up that the clear time is too slow to be worth it, or that it's not necessary to clear. Of course this is true because that's not its primary purpose. I don't understand how people just toss it aside as if they aren't going to get Fire Giant and Fury stolen from them.
    The reasoning behind it was a couple of reasons I still find dumb to this day:
    1. The item apparently created an objective meta.
    2. It allowed people to waveclear efficiently aka nerfing it allows mages back into solo.
    3. People were tired of seeing HoG becoming mandatory.
    4. People themselves.
    *Disclaimer: I am a volunteer moderator. I work on best judgement and do not speak on behalf of Hi-Rez Studios.*

Senior Member Chosen Pokechu212's Avatar
    Level completed: 21%, Points required for next Level: 715
    Achievements:
    1000 Experience Points Repped! Third Class 1 year registered Full Profile!
    Quote Originally Posted by MiyobiKumagawa View Post
    The reasoning behind it was a couple of reasons I still find dumb to this day:
    1. The item apparently created an objective meta.
    2. It allowed people to waveclear efficiently aka nerfing it allows mages back into solo.
    3. People were tired of seeing HoG becoming mandatory.
    4. People themselves.
    This is why we can't have nice things.

Senior Member Honoured Sepherim's Avatar
    Level completed: 19%, Points required for next Level: 897
    Achievements:
    Full Profile! Repped! Third Class Veteran 5000 Experience Points
    Mostly, it doesn't do enough damage anymore for it to effectively secure any objective. Ra's ulti, Poseidon's kraken, etc. do the job much better, and this frees space to other better actives. I think stunning hog is still used by some junglers, but I'm not a good jungler so no idea.
    Tribulaciones de la Clase Ociosa: http://tribulaciones.es/

Senior Member Infamous TheLethalCorgi's Avatar
    Level completed: 16%, Points required for next Level: 1,262
    Achievements:
    10000 Experience Points Party Person Conversation Starter Repped! First Class Repped! Second Class
    Quote Originally Posted by Sepherim View Post
    Mostly, it doesn't do enough damage anymore for it to effectively secure any objective. Ra's ulti, Poseidon's kraken, etc. do the job much better, and this frees space to other better actives. I think stunning hog is still used by some junglers, but I'm not a good jungler so no idea.
    On Kali and Loki it works wonders

Junior Member Cupidhead Braize6's Avatar
    Level completed: 14%, Points required for next Level: 345
    I've noticed this as well. As a LoL jungler transitioning over, I'd always take the bumbas and HoG. It just seemed like the thing to do being used to taking machete/smite.

However, the more I play, the more I notice that many people do not do this. I've liked playing Ao Kuang jungle, and always seem to level up as fast as my laners. But maybe I should look into some different item starts. There doesn't seem to be a "pro builds" site for smite like there is for LoL.

Forum Moderator Infamous SeventhArchon's Avatar
    Level completed: 81%, Points required for next Level: 662
    Achievements:
    Repped! First Class Repped! Second Class Party Person Tagger Third Class Full Profile!
    HOG is fine/optional and mages in solo are mostly trash for different reasons.

Senior Member Honoured LoudAndAnnoying's Avatar
    Level completed: 53%, Points required for next Level: 330
    Achievements:
    1000 Experience Points Tagger Third Class 3 months registered Conversation Starter
    Quote Originally Posted by Sepherim View Post
    Fist of the gods is good on quite a large number of characters, xing tian for example can use it to jump in and stun people, which is a great thing for a support to be able to do, and in general any character can increase a stun chain with an extra hit from it.

Also a ton of assassins benefit from it to help them get their damage of easier.

Senior Member Honoured Vanterfield's Avatar
    Level completed: 24%, Points required for next Level: 612
    Achievements:
    Full Profile! Repped! Third Class 1000 Experience Points 1 year registered
    If you start game with the 900 gold version (preferably the stun one, since it's more useful outside of the jungle), then you can in fact, clear a camp instantly, as well as really ruin a GF/FG's day, and is also an extra stun on a god.

You're giving up your starter item to get it, but it might be worth it to just start the game with it. It won't help you farm lanes or whatever, but it will help with ganks as well as clearing camps without taking too much damage during the early game.
    List of overpowered gods in Smite: http://pastebin.com/ddFrCdB9

Please fill out this form to explain why you lost a game of Smite. Your feedback is appreciated. Thank you.

"Do you remember, Odin, when in bygone days, we mixed our blood together? You said you would never drink ale, unless it were brought to both of us." ~ Loki