Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Smite's Report System

Senior Member Prestigious RippleApple's Avatar
    Level completed: 7%, Points required for next Level: 1,307
    Achievements:
    Tagger Third Class Full Profile! Repped! Third Class Repped! First Class 10000 Experience Points

Smite's Report System

Seriously guys it needs an overhaul.

I made this thread because of this one here being closed: http://forums.smitegame.com/showthre...mastery-levels

IrishPotato wants threads with a specific direction, so I'm making one with a specific direction:

I want the community to come up with ways to rework the report system, and I'll link, in this post, to each specific post about that which I believe has interesting ideas that are practical.

As it is, the report system is either not actually as functional as HiRez would like, HiRez doesn't have a team large enough to work on it or I'm right and HiRez prefers to have higher player numbers at the expense of the community being rotten.

I'll wait to hear some opinions before writing out what ideas I think are good because this thread isn't about my ideas so much as the community's ideas. What do we forum-goers think about the report system and how it can be improved? Let's give HiRez the benefit of the doubt and give them some creative help in this matter.

(As an aside, I'd like to thank everyone for taking part in this thread. I know I'm not the most popular person on these forums, in fact I might even be one of the more hated, but I hope everyone at least knows that although I may be critical of HiRez I love Smite and HiRez and I'd like to help them succeed in any way that I can regardless of my paranoia regarding their intentions)

Ideas:

1) http://forums.smitegame.com/showthre...l=1#post458229

By Joykilla199, an interesting trio of ideas about expanding potential report categories for specificity's sake, a catch for reports about deserters considering they're already punished somewhat for doing so, as well as an idea about feedback regarding forms for the sake of player confidence in the report system. Good work.

2) http://forums.smitegame.com/showthre...l=1#post458546

By AlexError, a holdover of Dota 2 to improve player confidence in the report system.

3) http://forums.smitegame.com/showthre...l=1#post461468

By ImAeternalis, good examples of how to define certain reports. Maybe some simple lines of text defining what they constitute when you click them?
    Last edited by RippleApple; 09-28-2015 at 04:44 PM.

Level completed: 76%, Points required for next Level: 172
    Achievements:
    1000 Experience Points 1 year registered
    Well first I'd add a string of text that pops up when your reporting someone that says:
    Players who are not in the game when it ends are automatically punished, please do not report them.
    Because honestly people reporting DC'ed people is 90% of what it's used for,

Second I'd add more options than "AFK, Harassment, and other" so one side isn't overwhelming

Third I'd make a way so Forum Moderators can apply to read player reports and bump them up to Hi-Rez if needed

Fourth I'd like to see FEEDBACK from submitting a report so you know it wasn't just ignored. I've received death threats on SMITE before, reported the player for harassment and specified they were giving such threats and nothing happened, not even a percentage off his goodwill.

And finally, fifth, I'd like there to be a star rating for submitting a report, just like matchmaking and server feedback, so they submitter can gauge from 1 to 5 how important their report is.
    "Ah, you seem to be bleeding. How very... human, of you."

Senior Member Honoured LoudAndAnnoying's Avatar
    Level completed: 53%, Points required for next Level: 330
    Achievements:
    1000 Experience Points Tagger Third Class 3 months registered Conversation Starter
    Wait, so basically we come up with ideas in this thread so the OP can sit in judgment of us and decide whether or not we get on the front post of a thread, even though we could just make one ourselves?

Achievements:
    Tagger Third Class Full Profile! Repped! Third Class Repped! First Class 10000 Experience Points
    Quote Originally Posted by LoudAndAnnoying View Post
    Wait, so basically we come up with ideas in this thread so the OP can sit in judgment of us and decide whether or not we get on the front post of a thread, even though we could just make one ourselves?
    Damn straight. My ego is that large. If you don't like it, go make your own thread, though I'd probably just link to individual posts in that thread as well, leading to your thread being, therefore, fundamentally pointless.

The point of this is to gather good ideas together. I'm not going to link to a post that says "We should get rid of bans altogether and give gems for racist comments." That's just silly.

Now that that's out of the way, I might try to get a mod to look at any further posts on that particular subject and ask politely for them to remove them. I'd rather these two be up so that the subject doesn't come up again.

If we work hard, we can make a difference. If we squabble about my ego, then we won't get anywhere. Ideas, person. That's what's important.

Forum Moderator Honoured AlexError's Avatar
    Level completed: 76%, Points required for next Level: 217
    Achievements:
    1000 Experience Points Full Profile! 1 year registered Arm of the Law! Repped! First Class
    Quote Originally Posted by Joykilla199 View Post
    Third I'd make a way so Forum Moderators can apply to read player reports and bump them up to Hi-Rez if needed
    I can attest that this can't happen. It's not right for us to look at in-game reports because we are forum moderators, not in-game moderators.
    Disclaimer: I am a volunteer moderator. I work on best judgement and do not speak on behalf of Hi-Rez Studios.

If you have any queries about moderation or any miscellaneous questions, send me a PM. If you want to leave feedback about a moderator, use this form. If you want to view the Code of Conduct, click here.

Remember to use the report function to direct the moderators straight to the post!

Ex-Forum Moderator Infamous IrishPotato's Avatar
    Level completed: 54%, Points required for next Level: 691
    Achievements:
    1 year registered Discussion Ender 10000 Experience Points Full Profile! Arm of the Law!
    Awards:
    Arm of Law
    Quote Originally Posted by AlexError View Post
    I can attest that this can't happen. It's not right for us to look at in-game reports because we are forum moderators, not in-game moderators.
    Alex is right. We don't have power over players in the game, our only power is to ensure the forums are a solid constructive environment for players here

Fourth I'd like to see FEEDBACK from submitting a report so you know it wasn't just ignored. I've received death threats on SMITE before, reported the player for harassment and specified they were giving such threats and nothing happened, not even a percentage off his goodwill.
    While I don't necessarily know if they will give you feedback per say, the tiers of reports should be noticeable, as harassment is far too tame for some reports.
    Don't be fooled by the EX. The King is immortal

Achievements:
    Well first I'd add a string of text that pops up when your reporting someone that says:
    Players who are not in the game when it ends are automatically punished, please do not report them.
    Because honestly people reporting DC'ed people is 90% of what it's used for,
    Interesting. I'd like to see certain other things to balance out rampant dc'ers.

Second I'd add more options than "AFK, Harassment, and other" so one side isn't overwhelming
    I'd like to see one specifically for "Racism/Sexism" and another for "Religious Harassment".

I vaguely recall something like that regarding HiRez potentially looking for people to do something similar to that, I can't remember if it went anywhere or if it's just my imagination. Any forum moderators want to chime in?

I'd like to see something like this as well. My question is whether HiRez has enough people looking at reports to actually do something like this.

And finally, fifth, I'd like there to be a star rating for submitting a report, just like matchmaking and server feedback, so they submitter can gauge from 1 to 5 how important their report is.
    I don't see the point of this, unfortunately. Presumably everyone would rate every report 5/5 stars.

Ex-Forum Moderator Infamous IrishPotato's Avatar
    Level completed: 54%, Points required for next Level: 691
    Achievements:
    1 year registered Discussion Ender 10000 Experience Points Full Profile! Arm of the Law!
    Awards:
    Arm of Law
    Quote Originally Posted by RippleApple View Post

IrishPotato wants threads with a specific direction, so I'm making one with a specific direction:
    It's not just direction, but discussing action against another player is strictly against the CoC...This thread however is fine
    Don't be fooled by the EX. The King is immortal

Achievements:
    Quote Originally Posted by IrishPotato View Post
    It's not just direction, but discussing action against another player is strictly against the CoC...This thread however is fine
    Yeah, I know your hands are tied with that sort of thing. It wasn't a shot at you but more of how players like that are allowed to carry on and the flaws with the report system in-game that it doesn't catch players who do that. I respect the job you do. That being said, let's move on.

Forum Moderator Honoured AlexError's Avatar
    Level completed: 76%, Points required for next Level: 217
    Achievements:
    1000 Experience Points Full Profile! 1 year registered Arm of the Law! Repped! First Class
    I vaguely recall something like that regarding HiRez potentially looking for people to do something similar to that, I can't remember if it went anywhere or if it's just my imagination. Any forum moderators want to chime in?
    I don't remember anything like this being requested.

When you think about a report system and the sheer number of reports HiRez receives, both genuine reports and false positives/negatives, then they has to be some automated system that deals with the initial stages. For instance, sorting by which players has the most reports; keywords in the reports like "dc" or "leaver" which are discarded since they are pretty much dealt with automatically using the deserter system. AFKs are not dealt with though, so reporting is necessary for these players.
    Disclaimer: I am a volunteer moderator. I work on best judgement and do not speak on behalf of Hi-Rez Studios.

If you have any queries about moderation or any miscellaneous questions, send me a PM. If you want to leave feedback about a moderator, use this form. If you want to view the Code of Conduct, click here.

Remember to use the report function to direct the moderators straight to the post!