Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 27

Thread: why no native american pantheon

  1. #11
    Senior Member Honoured Vanterfield's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Location
    Elysium
    Posts
    631
    5
    Level completed: 24%, Points required for next Level: 612
    Achievements:
    Full Profile! Repped! Third Class 1000 Experience Points 1 year registered
    Rep Power
    5
    Quote Originally Posted by Hitom View Post
    African pantheon please Hi-Rez. All humans come from Africa, this affects all of us equally.
    TIL Egypt isn't in Africa.
    List of overpowered gods in Smite: http://pastebin.com/ddFrCdB9

    Please fill out this form to explain why you lost a game of Smite. Your feedback is appreciated. Thank you.

    "Do you remember, Odin, when in bygone days, we mixed our blood together? You said you would never drink ale, unless it were brought to both of us." ~ Loki

  2. #12
    Senior Member Honoured Hitom's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Posts
    887
    3
    Level completed: 52%, Points required for next Level: 339
    Achievements:
    1000 Experience Points 1 year registered
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Vanterfield View Post
    TIL Egypt isn't in Africa.
    Egypt is in both Africa and Asia. The Egyptian pantheon and African pantheon are very far and distinguished from each other.

    More info about them here http://www.orishanet.org/ocha.html
    Bellona <3

  3. #13
    Senior Member Honoured Vanterfield's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Location
    Elysium
    Posts
    631
    5
    Level completed: 24%, Points required for next Level: 612
    Achievements:
    Full Profile! Repped! Third Class 1000 Experience Points 1 year registered
    Rep Power
    5
    Quote Originally Posted by Hitom View Post
    Egypt is in both Africa and Asia. The Egyptian pantheon and African pantheon are very far and distinguished from each other.

    More info about them here http://www.orishanet.org/ocha.html
    First of all "African" isn't a Pantheon any more than "European" or "Asian"

    Secondly, Egypt is in Africa. The fact that it's transcontinental is meaningless. England once laid claim to places in Africa and America and such, but it never at any point stopped being European. Egyptian gods are African gods, period.

    Third, "Orisha" by itself is not a religion, but a class of divine being, like Angels or Kami.

    Here is a short, incomplete list of African religions, you'll note Egyptian is counted among them.

    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tradit...rican_religion

    There is no reason we can't have 2, but please don't act like we don't already have 1.

    Thanks.
    List of overpowered gods in Smite: http://pastebin.com/ddFrCdB9

    Please fill out this form to explain why you lost a game of Smite. Your feedback is appreciated. Thank you.

    "Do you remember, Odin, when in bygone days, we mixed our blood together? You said you would never drink ale, unless it were brought to both of us." ~ Loki

  4. #14
    Ex-Forum Moderator Infamous IrishPotato's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Location
    Not Ireland (oddly)
    Posts
    6,980
    19
    Level completed: 54%, Points required for next Level: 691
    Achievements:
    1 year registered Discussion Ender 10000 Experience Points Full Profile! Arm of the Law!
    Awards:
    Arm of Law
    Rep Power
    20
    Technically Egypt is in Africa yes, but bunching cultures together just because they share the same region and calling them "Region name here gods" is a bit insensitive. That's like trying to say Hindu and Chinese gods are in the same continent so why bother including both. Norse and Greek/Roman are part of the same continent, why bother including both?

  5. #15
    Senior Member Honoured Vanterfield's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Location
    Elysium
    Posts
    631
    5
    Level completed: 24%, Points required for next Level: 612
    Achievements:
    Full Profile! Repped! Third Class 1000 Experience Points 1 year registered
    Rep Power
    5
    Quote Originally Posted by IrishPotato View Post
    Technically Egypt is in Africa yes, but bunching cultures together just because they share the same region and calling them "Region name here gods" is a bit insensitive. That's like trying to say Hindu and Chinese gods are in the same continent so why bother including both. Norse and Greek/Roman are part of the same continent, why bother including both?
    No one is bunching cultures together. It's essentially an issue of saying Egypt isn't African. It's more like saying "We need Japanese gods because we don't have any Asian ones."
    List of overpowered gods in Smite: http://pastebin.com/ddFrCdB9

    Please fill out this form to explain why you lost a game of Smite. Your feedback is appreciated. Thank you.

    "Do you remember, Odin, when in bygone days, we mixed our blood together? You said you would never drink ale, unless it were brought to both of us." ~ Loki

  6. #16
    Ex-Forum Moderator Infamous IrishPotato's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Location
    Not Ireland (oddly)
    Posts
    6,980
    19
    Level completed: 54%, Points required for next Level: 691
    Achievements:
    1 year registered Discussion Ender 10000 Experience Points Full Profile! Arm of the Law!
    Awards:
    Arm of Law
    Rep Power
    20
    Quote Originally Posted by Vanterfield View Post
    No one is bunching cultures together. It's essentially an issue of saying Egypt isn't African. It's more like saying "We need Japanese gods because we don't have any Asian ones."
    He's referring to the cultures commonly misconceived as "African". It's not that Egpyt isn't, but at the same time you can't call their deities African because they aren't they're part of a culture

  7. #17
    Member Follower xblackfriday's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Location
    drinking with Ymir and the FG in the jungle
    Posts
    156
    6
    Level completed: 29%, Points required for next Level: 644
    Achievements:
    Tagger Third Class 1000 Experience Points Full Profile! Repped! Third Class Veteran
    Rep Power
    6
    Quote Originally Posted by Curraja View Post
    i wonder... if it's a game about gods why theres no Jesus O.o?
    This is something you don't even want to get into. Either way. Christianity is monotheistic. You need polytheism for it to work here.
    "Take all the time you need. For if we never take time, how can we have time."

    - Chen Stormstout

  8. #18
    Member Follower xblackfriday's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Location
    drinking with Ymir and the FG in the jungle
    Posts
    156
    6
    Level completed: 29%, Points required for next Level: 644
    Achievements:
    Tagger Third Class 1000 Experience Points Full Profile! Repped! Third Class Veteran
    Rep Power
    6
    Quote Originally Posted by Vanterfield View Post
    First of all "African" isn't a Pantheon any more than "European" or "Asian"

    Secondly, Egypt is in Africa. The fact that it's transcontinental is meaningless. England once laid claim to places in Africa and America and such, but it never at any point stopped being European. Egyptian gods are African gods, period.

    Third, "Orisha" by itself is not a religion, but a class of divine being, like Angels or Kami.

    Here is a short, incomplete list of African religions, you'll note Egyptian is counted among them.

    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tradit...rican_religion

    There is no reason we can't have 2, but please don't act like we don't already have 1.

    Thanks.
    The fact that you pulled information from Wikipedia makes your argument here hardly valid. Wikipedia is extremely unreliable source of information unless you want to bullshit your way through an argument.

    On top of the fact you believe AMC to be OP.

    Traditional African belief is overwhelmingly monotheistic. There may be spirits and ancestors floating around, but there's only one God. Early missionaries made a complete pig's ear of their research in this respect and seem to have delighted in cataloging as many 'heathen' Gods as they could possibly get away with.
    "Take all the time you need. For if we never take time, how can we have time."

    - Chen Stormstout

  9. #19
    Senior Member Infamous Outso187's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Location
    The burned parts of the Potato Kingdom
    Posts
    5,159
    18
    Level completed: 22%, Points required for next Level: 1,183
    Achievements:
    Tagger Third Class Full Profile! Repped! First Class Repped! Second Class Reputation Distributor
    Rep Power
    16
    Quote Originally Posted by Curraja View Post
    i wonder... if it's a game about gods why theres no Jesus O.o?
    Jesus is not a god. He is just a son of one. Besides, what would he do, preach the enemy to death?

  10. #20
    Junior Member Senior Cupidhead
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Posts
    39
    2
    Level completed: 88%, Points required for next Level: 64
    Achievements:
    1 year registered 1000 Experience Points
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Outso187 View Post
    Jesus is not a god. He is just a son of one. Besides, what would he do, preach the enemy to death?
    The Judeo-Christian pantheon would be easy to do just one god! Yahweh could have some cool abilities based upon the bible like flooding and perhaps raining fire.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •