Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: NEED FPS improvement tips

New Member Cupidhead mikeyvalentine's Avatar
    Level completed: 4%, Points required for next Level: 384
    Firstly, is this a recent drop in FPS or has this been going on a while? because if its a recent drop that means something was changed on the hirez side of things which may or may not change in the coming patches but if it is something that has been going on for a while then it is most likely something in your rig. The fastest and most obvious choice to increase FPS is always buying a new GPU, understandably though, most people do not have money just lying around to go buy a new one. I used to play on a very old rig and the same problem that you are having would happen to me, especially when team fighting would happen. I would go from 30 stable frames to 10-15 frames and it would look like the game was lagging.

There are a few suggestions that have already been said that might improve your FPS and a few that have not been said:

Turning off anti anti aliasing which increases jagged edges but reduces load on your graphics card

Turning off Vertical Sync. Vsync basically synchronizes your frames per second with your monitor refresh rate. It is not bad for any component and can reduce tearing in some instances. The problem is that it reduces your FPS rate if it is higher than your refresh rate.

Making sure your computer is being cooled off properly. Sometimes when your computer is shoved between two surfaces, like a bed a your desk, it can make your components "cook" which can make all system functions slower.

Make sure you have a sufficient power supply to run to your graphics card. If there is not enough power going to your graphics card it will not run at peak performance and in fact might damage the GPU.

Closing down all non essential apps and running everything at the lowest possible settings. The more apps you have running the harder everything in your rig has to work. And obviously running everything at lowest setting is how to maximize FPS.

I know that this solution is not ideal but if you really need those frames to pick up, you can try a complete wipe and restore of your system. it might fix some registry errors or ghost files that may have been screwing with your FPS.

and last but not least, buying a new graphics card. Like I stated before I do realize that its not like everyone has money laying around that they can just up and buy a new graphics card but sometimes that is the only solution for a failing GPU, and if yours is in fact failing there may be no other option. If in fact you do need a new graphics card, I would recommend the nvidia GTX 660 2 or 3gb. its under 200$ and using max setting on most games, I can get anywhere between 100-200 fps.

I really do hope this helped somewhat. I know how frustrating it can be to deal with fps drop especially when it is effecting your game play. I eventually ended up buying a whole new rig to fix my issue lol but I hope you do not have to do that! GOOD LUCK!

Member Follower SuperTallMidget's Avatar
    Level completed: 55%, Points required for next Level: 405
    Achievements:
    Tagger Third Class Repped! Third Class 1000 Experience Points Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by mikeyvalentine View Post
    Firstly, is this a recent drop in FPS or has this been going on a while? because if its a recent drop that means something was changed on the hirez side of things which may or may not change in the coming patches but if it is something that has been going on for a while then it is most likely something in your rig. The fastest and most obvious choice to increase FPS is always buying a new GPU, understandably though, most people do not have money just lying around to go buy a new one. I used to play on a very old rig and the same problem that you are having would happen to me, especially when team fighting would happen. I would go from 30 stable frames to 10-15 frames and it would look like the game was lagging.

There are a few suggestions that have already been said that might improve your FPS and a few that have not been said:

Turning off anti anti aliasing which increases jagged edges but reduces load on your graphics card

Turning off Vertical Sync. Vsync basically synchronizes your frames per second with your monitor refresh rate. It is not bad for any component and can reduce tearing in some instances. The problem is that it reduces your FPS rate if it is higher than your refresh rate.

Making sure your computer is being cooled off properly. Sometimes when your computer is shoved between two surfaces, like a bed a your desk, it can make your components "cook" which can make all system functions slower.

Make sure you have a sufficient power supply to run to your graphics card. If there is not enough power going to your graphics card it will not run at peak performance and in fact might damage the GPU.

Closing down all non essential apps and running everything at the lowest possible settings. The more apps you have running the harder everything in your rig has to work. And obviously running everything at lowest setting is how to maximize FPS.

I know that this solution is not ideal but if you really need those frames to pick up, you can try a complete wipe and restore of your system. it might fix some registry errors or ghost files that may have been screwing with your FPS.

and last but not least, buying a new graphics card. Like I stated before I do realize that its not like everyone has money laying around that they can just up and buy a new graphics card but sometimes that is the only solution for a failing GPU, and if yours is in fact failing there may be no other option. If in fact you do need a new graphics card, I would recommend the nvidia GTX 660 2 or 3gb. its under 200$ and using max setting on most games, I can get anywhere between 100-200 fps.

I really do hope this helped somewhat. I know how frustrating it can be to deal with fps drop especially when it is effecting your game play. I eventually ended up buying a whole new rig to fix my issue lol but I hope you do not have to do that! GOOD LUCK!
    This guy is right, lots of good points.

If none of this ends up helping, your best bet may just be to switch to a desktop. A desktop that could max smite with probably 150fps would only run 500-600. A friend built a PC that he can max bf4 ~6 months ago, and it costed him 400. I don't know if youre living in a dorm or something where that's not possible, but it's out there.

Why

Let me put images in my signature dammit

Forum Moderator Worshipper Cyberlink's Avatar
    Level completed: 33%, Points required for next Level: 608
    Achievements:
    Tagger Third Class 1000 Experience Points Repped! Third Class 1 year registered
    Minimum requirements

Processor: Core 2 Duo 2.4 GHz or Althon X2 2.7 GHz
    RAM: 2GB (XP), 3GB (Vista, Win7)
    Graphic card: ATI or Nvidia graphics card with 512MB video ram or better and Shader Model 3.0+ support. (ATI Radeon 3870 or higher, Nvidia GeForce 8800 GT or higher).
    Sound card: DirectX compatible sound card
    Hard drive: 10 GB free

Recommended system requirements

Processor:Intel Core i5-750, 2.67 GHz / AMD Phenom II X4 965, 3.4 GHz
    Memory:4 GB RAM
    Graphics:NVIDIA GeForce GTX 560 / AMD Radeon HD 6950 or better with 768 MB+ of VRAM (DirectX 11 Compatible)
    Hard Drive Space:10 GB
    Other Requirements:Broadband Internet connection

I just posted these here for reference. Check out www.videocardbenchmark.net and give us a rating.
    Issues? The BIG FIX Post - OR - Open a support ticket

Forum Code of Conduct --- Suspension/Ban policy --- www.EloStats.com

Disclaimer: I am a community moderator. I work on best judgement and do not speak on behalf of Hi-Rez Studios.

Level completed: 54%, Points required for next Level: 233
    Your RAM with a dual core processor is a tad bit low to be running Win7 64bit with games like Smite. I would suggest trying razer's Game Booster. Not sure if I'm allowed to link to software on this forum so I won't. But if you use Razer's game booster then you can safely shut down all unnecessary background applications and it also optimizes your drives and memory.

Junior Member Senior Cupidhead DraconianDeus's Avatar
    Level completed: 36%, Points required for next Level: 453
    Achievements:
    1 year registered 1000 Experience Points
    With Intel Graphics you won't get Smite to run as well as you want. The rest of your specs are fine.

What you need is a not built-in graphics card, but you probably won't be able to install one in your notebook.
    Be driven back crocodile, thou spawn of Set
    Move not by means of thy tail
    Work not thy feet and legs
    Open not thy mouth
    Let the water which is before thee
    Turn into a consuming fire (c) Nile

Junior Member Cupidhead nickaustin's Avatar
    Level completed: 28%, Points required for next Level: 510
    Achievements:
    well try this one...

right click my computer -> properties -> Advanced system settings -> performance settings -> Adjust for best performance -> ok.

what it does it removes all resource using graphic enhancement from windows theme aero etc. and puts it to like windows 98 it will look ugly but it should help you gain 20+ fps, atleast it helped me. just try it who knows it might help you. you can always revert it back to normal if you want to.

and on other note if your laptop heats up you will have fps drops.
    i know this for sure from experience i used to have normal fps 60-80 first few games and after 2-3 games 10 fps or less.
    then some one suggested me the cooler pad insinuating problem being over heating. now after i bought cooler pad it never happens like that.

cheers.

Senior Member Honoured Zàngétsu's Avatar
    Level completed: 1%, Points required for next Level: 1,098
    Achievements:
    Tagger Third Class Conversation Starter Repped! Third Class 1 year registered 5000 Experience Points
    Quote Originally Posted by DraconianDeus View Post
    With Intel Graphics you won't get Smite to run as well as you want. The rest of your specs are fine.

What you need is a not built-in graphics card, but you probably won't be able to install one in your notebook.
    If you look at his stats he does have a 1GB card.

What you want to do is open Task Manager, keep the PERFORMANCE tab and look at what the cause is. I would assume only one monitor, if you can, hi-jack a second monitor. Then play a second game with the PROCESSES tab open and sort by whatever it was that the first tab maxed out on, what you are now looking for is who the problem is.

First step is to see what process is maxing out, that is Harddrive, CPU, RAM, GPU etc. Second step is to see what program is doing it. For example, if your CPU is maxing out, when you go back to the first tab you sort by CPU, the programs causing the issues will rise to the top. For myself I run at 150 FPS easy, but something half that, I find I have the Microsoft.NET services running at over 50% CPU on a brand new i7, closing that and it fixes my problem.

It seems you do have the required PC to run Smite at low settings, but it also may help to lower the resolution and therefore the UI scaling.

Knowing is not enough, we must apply.
    Willing is not enough, we must do.
    Even if you do not kill the enemy, forcing them to retreat is still a win, this still gives you time to gain Exp, gold and damage the objectives.

Here is what 300+ Ping looks like: Tyr 3v3
    Here is what no ping looks like: Tyr 1v1

Junior Member Senior Cupidhead DraconianDeus's Avatar
    Level completed: 36%, Points required for next Level: 453
    Achievements:
    Quote Originally Posted by Zàngétsu View Post
    If you look at his stats he does have a 1GB card.
    It won't help even if it was 2 or 4gb GPU. Built-in cards have low perfomance by default, they are created to support flash apps and UI graphics; they can also handle old games, but not much more.
    Imo, there is no solution on this config to have 45-60 fps in a game like Smite. I have similar laptop on my hands, it can run Hearthstone and maybe Diablo 3 on lowest with 1366Ă—768 and it will still be 30-35 fps tops, and Diablo is a very optimized game. But Smite? I don't think so.
    Be driven back crocodile, thou spawn of Set
    Move not by means of thy tail
    Work not thy feet and legs
    Open not thy mouth
    Let the water which is before thee
    Turn into a consuming fire (c) Nile

Junior Member Senior Cupidhead BeNjAh's Avatar
    Level completed: 38%, Points required for next Level: 440
    Achievements:
    Quote Originally Posted by DraconianDeus View Post
    It won't help even if it was 2 or 4gb GPU. Built-in cards have low perfomance by default, they are created to support flash apps and UI graphics; they can also handle old games, but not much more.
    Imo, there is no solution on this config to have 45-60 fps in a game like Smite. I have similar laptop on my hands, it can run Hearthstone and maybe Diablo 3 on lowest with 1366Ă—768 and it will still be 30-35 fps tops, and Diablo is a very optimized game. But Smite? I don't think so.
    that's totally true, the memory of the gpu is not that important, but i have a built-in intel graphics (intel HD graphics 4000), 4 gb ram and i3 processor, and with all at maximum (low in AA) i have the same performance this guy has (30 fps and drop to 15 - 20 in tf), if OP has those FPS with the game in low settings and no AA, then he has a major poblem than system requeriments.
    Made in Chile.

Level completed: 19%, Points required for next Level: 894
    Achievements:
    Tagger Second Class Repped! Third Class 1 year registered Conversation Starter 5000 Experience Points
    @dabangg..your system config. Is absolutely fine to run smite at 60fps or high at low settings. Make sure antialiasing and v-sync is off from nvidia drivers as well as in game. Also, in case you are using wireless internet dongle, lags are unavoidable and can be terrible. Wat is ur ign btw, or u send me an invite.