Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Possible Nerf to Death Scythe

Senior Member Honoured MaverickSlayer's Avatar
    Level completed: 29%, Points required for next Level: 790
    Achievements:
    Full Profile! Repped! Third Class 1 year registered 5000 Experience Points

Possible Nerf to Death Scythe

ALERT This is not so much a direct nerf as it is balance ALERT

After being in a game with a first time thanatos who went 7-0, it's occured to me how completely broken death scythe is. Not only does it do insane damage, it also slows and heals him when it hits.I feel like the ability is too good in its own right, and we need to rectify the situation.

My suggestion would be 2 changes, the first is to reduce the damage and scaling slightly, but the main change I think is needed is to change how it deals damage. A lot of people say its easy to beat him when you just dodge death scythe, but any decent Thanatos will close in on you with "Scent of Death" before he uses it at point blank for an easy kill. The other change would be to reduce damage at point blank, and have it increase as it travels further, going from point blank 50% to its full damage at maximum range.

This will encourage Thanatos' to actually use it as a ranged attack and not just easy damage while they're in an enemies face. It will also make it heal less at the same time in close range, so when Thanatos is 1 v 1'ing an enemy in close quarters (i.e another assassin) he can't just pop it while they're mauling him and he's suddenly back to full health and they're nearly, if not dead.

Thoughts? Other possible changes? Please, share your opinons.

Otaku Mod Infamous MiyobiKumagawa's Avatar
    Level completed: 71%, Points required for next Level: 818
    Achievements:
    Tagger Third Class 25000 Experience Points Arm of the Law! Discussion Ender Party Person
    Awards:
    Most Popular
    You do realize Thanatos is an early game god right? He has to literally aim that Death Scythe and if he misses then it's literally game over unless you are Trubblegum and build him AA.

Late game Thanatos is bad compared to other assassins.
    *Disclaimer: I am a volunteer moderator. I work on best judgement and do not speak on behalf of Hi-Rez Studios.*

Senior Member Honoured MaverickSlayer's Avatar
    Level completed: 29%, Points required for next Level: 790
    Achievements:
    Full Profile! Repped! Third Class 1 year registered 5000 Experience Points
    Quote Originally Posted by MiyobiKumagawa View Post
    Late game Thanatos is bad compared to other assassins.
    Tell that to all the Thanatos plays on Smite Top Plays. Also, did you actually read my whole post? I have previous experience where people reply based on the title and don't actually read the post itself.

Level completed: 40%, Points required for next Level: 423
    Achievements:
    1000 Experience Points Repped! Second Class 1 year registered
    Quote Originally Posted by MaverickSlayer View Post
    Tell that to all the Thanatos plays on Smite Top Plays. Also, did you actually read my whole post? I have previous experience where people reply based on the title and don't actually read the post itself.

The thing is that his rely on Scythe and the fact that is a skillshot that leaves him very vulnerable if he misses totally makes up for the ability to exist as it is. He doesn't need any change, he is really high risk/high reward, one of the best examples, sometimes people will underestimate a Thanatos and they'll be punished for it hard. And yes, he is weak late game in comparison to other assasins, which makes him rely much more on Scythe because it's a devastating early game nuke, and only average on late...
    Signatures are stupid, really, nobody cares....

Otaku Mod Infamous MiyobiKumagawa's Avatar
    Level completed: 71%, Points required for next Level: 818
    Achievements:
    Tagger Third Class 25000 Experience Points Arm of the Law! Discussion Ender Party Person
    Awards:
    Most Popular
    Smite top plays shouldn't be used as a prime example. You really have to look at Thanatos completely, what does he bring to the table? How optimal are builds for him? How does he fare the whole game? His Scythe is his main damage dealer so "nerfing" it by percentage because he is close to you is pretty unreasonable.

It's real easy to dodge his scythe from a distance. Why? Because it's a slow projectile, hell I even blocked it with pre-rework Nox's shield every time.

I read your post, it's not a bad idea, but it'll hinder Thanatos a lot since his ult is pretty easy to dodge.
    *Disclaimer: I am a volunteer moderator. I work on best judgement and do not speak on behalf of Hi-Rez Studios.*

Level completed: 8%, Points required for next Level: 370
    The casual "it killed me, nerf it, it's op".

Senior Member Infamous Trubblegum's Avatar
    Level completed: 28%, Points required for next Level: 1,238
    Achievements:
    Repped! First Class Repped! Second Class 25000 Experience Points Party Person Veteran
    No.
    Just.
    No.
    Death Scythe ends up being 95% of an earlygame Thana's damage.
    Nerf that, and you nerf his already barely visible competitive scene.
    Quote Originally Posted by MiyobiKumagawa View Post
    unless you are Trubblegum and build him AA.
    Yes, I build him AA. Just as strong early, even stronger late, compared to ability builds.
    Last edited by Trubblegum; 06-22-2015 at 08:02 PM.
    Disclaimer: I am a volunteer moderator. I work on best judgement and do not speak on behalf of Hi-Rez Studios.

Level completed: 8%, Points required for next Level: 370
    Quote Originally Posted by Trubblegum View Post
    No.
    Just.
    No.

Yes, I build him AA. Just as strong early, even stronger late, compared to ability builds.
    I love thanatos AA build its so great how I scored my first penta.

Senior Member Prestigious RippleApple's Avatar
    Level completed: 7%, Points required for next Level: 1,307
    Achievements:
    Tagger Third Class Full Profile! Repped! Third Class Repped! First Class 10000 Experience Points
    Quote Originally Posted by Trubblegum View Post
    No.
    Just.
    No.

I build him like this:

Early-game:
    Death's Toll
    Telaria Boots (solely so I can be anywhere ever)
    Jotunn's Wrath

Mid-game:
    Hide of the Urchin
    Sell Jotunn's Wrath and Death's Toll->Buy Breastplate of Valor
    Tier 2 of Qins Sais
    Shield of the Underworld

Late-game:
    Mystical Mail
    Qins Sais
    Hide of the Nemean Lion
    Sell telaria boots->Buy attack speed boots

I start out dealing plenty of damage, carrying for my team. Then mid-game I transition into a tank who plays like a support. Late-game, I am completely unkillable. Qins sais does most of the damage for me, but sticking to them lets mystical mail help, and if it's an adc, I can box them with the huge damage reflect.

I got a quadra kill late-game with that build and the enemy team couldn't kill me no matter what they did. I towerdived a tier 2 tower and killed four of them. Late-game tank Thanatos hypercarry. Who says qins sais is bad?

Senior Member Infamous Trubblegum's Avatar
    Level completed: 28%, Points required for next Level: 1,238
    Achievements:
    Repped! First Class Repped! Second Class 25000 Experience Points Party Person Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by RippleApple View Post
    I build him like this:

Early-game:
    Death's Toll
    Telaria Boots (solely so I can be anywhere ever)
    Jotunn's Wrath

Mid-game:
    Hide of the Urchin
    Sell Jotunn's Wrath and Death's Toll->Buy Breastplate of Valor
    Tier 2 of Qins Sais
    Shield of the Underworld

Late-game:
    Mystical Mail
    Qins Sais
    Hide of the Nemean Lion
    Sell telaria boots->Buy attack speed boots

I start out dealing plenty of damage, carrying for my team. Then mid-game I transition into a tank who plays like a support. Late-game, I am completely unkillable. Qins sais does most of the damage for me, but sticking to them lets mystical mail help, and if it's an adc, I can box them with the huge damage reflect.

I got a quadra kill late-game with that build and the enemy team couldn't kill me no matter what they did. I towerdived a tier 2 tower and killed four of them. Late-game tank Thanatos hypercarry. Who says qins sais is bad?
    Ninja - Executioner - Bloodforge - Rage - Deathbringer - Fatalis
    Granted, I mostly play Arena, but I shred people to bits with that build.
    Disclaimer: I am a volunteer moderator. I work on best judgement and do not speak on behalf of Hi-Rez Studios.