Thread: Serqet Tail advices?

Junior Member Cupidhead Slania91's Avatar
    Level completed: 2%, Points required for next Level: 494
    Achievements:
    250 Experience Points 3 months registered

Red face Serqet Tail advices?

Hey guys

I thought about Cosplaying desert queen serquet!
    But I want the tail to be able to move. So I can lay it around my neck, just like Serquet does.
    Any Ideas about what parts I can use for that between the tail - parts?
    I just started cosplaying this May so I thought maybe a experienced cosplayer here could have advice for me.

Thanks and have fun,
    Slania!

Senior Member Honoured LividLegends's Avatar
    Level completed: 25%, Points required for next Level: 682
    Achievements:
    Repped! Third Class 1000 Experience Points 1 year registered Full Profile!
    Well it depends on what the rest of the tail was made out of. let's just, for example say it was made out of a compact Styrofoam. Perhaps carve out a half spear in each end of the pieces to fit a Styrofoam ball inside. Connect this via thin rope or thick string (Multiples preferably) that would be loose enough to let it move and sway around. the balls are an axis as the strings would hold it all together but let it be loose enough to not be stiff and allow movement. with other materials, it would be the same concept, but may be harder to do, as Styrofoam is hard, but easily malleable and can be painted on, colored, etc, with ease.
    Recent Concept:
    Frigg - Guardian/Mage (Read thread for more info)

Rekit/Rebalance Thread Series: Table of Contents

Achievements:
    Thanks for your answer Thats an amazing Idea!
    I thought about making the tail out of craft foam and worbla but your Idea should be possible there too.
    I could just make the tail out of Styrofoam balls and cover them with the shapes of the tail parts. Do you think that would work?
    Thanks for ur idea and im sorry for the bad english. Hope you know what I mean

Junior Member Cupidhead MandaBearSmash's Avatar
    Level completed: 59%, Points required for next Level: 206
    Achievements:
    Full Profile! 3 months registered Repped! Third Class 500 Experience Points
    I'd suggest considering how you will wear the tail before and during construction to save yourself some trouble later and Worbla (while a great material) maybe isn't the best choice in this case due to its weight.

Something like this is going to want to naturally flop down and this will be on you so walking around in it is going to make it swing back and forth. Ideally, you want stability in 3 directions where this thing comes in contact with your body. I'd suggest a thin "belt" or waist stay for the horizontal stability that you can conceal by wearing under the suit and hiding on the sides by strategically adjusting the sash.

The base of the tail is pretty good size so it's probably big enough you can use it to help anchor the length if you carved it out of rigid foam, the rest of the pieces could also be in foam; balls for the round parts, thicker sheets (6mm+ probably?) made into hollow boxes for the segmented parts - take a look at what Brad did with the foam for his Loki in the WIP thread to pretty it up. You can do that here, too. Put a section of rigid foam INSIDE the box to run wire through. String the segments & balls onto the wire like a kebab with a slight buffer space between to account for changes in arc length, then stick it to your base, butt & the belt. It should be plenty stiff to pose with but defo no stronk enough to sit on.

tl;dr; Foam, foam, foam, wire.

Foam is porous and absorbent. Seal your foams before painting. The propelling agents in most aerosols are corrosive to a lot of foams (and wear a mask!). Test your paints and sealants on scraps!

Good luck! Have fun!

Achievements:
    Thank you very much for your advice
    I thought about a belt, too! I was thinking if i could form the Segments of clay and copy it with Kobracast? So it would be very light weight.
    I could stabilize it with Paper mache and wood glue. Do you think that could work?

Junior Member Cupidhead MandaBearSmash's Avatar
    Level completed: 59%, Points required for next Level: 206
    Achievements:
    Full Profile! 3 months registered Repped! Third Class 500 Experience Points
    Quote Originally Posted by Slania91 View Post
    Thank you very much for your advice
    I thought about a belt, too! I was thinking if i could form the Segments of clay and copy it with Kobracast? So it would be very light weight.
    I could stabilize it with Paper mache and wood glue. Do you think that could work?
    You're working with some stuff I'm not familiar with, so I can't say for sure, but the weight of paper mache even is going to really add up and quickly. I would be hesitant; I have no hands on experience with Kobracast and I love foam. Either way, go slow, and make some smaller test pieces. There's always more than one way to do it, a lot will depend on what's available where you are, what you're comfortable working with, and what you can get it to do for you. <3

Best of luck. Keep us posted.

Achievements:
    Thank you very much for your kind answers
    I will have to try it out. At least to make the experience

When I start I will post something of course! But I guess I will first take a few easier projects