Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4

Thread: 3 weeks into the SPL, I'm convinced that snowballing is out of hand in Smite

Senior Member Prestigious RippleApple's Avatar
    Level completed: 7%, Points required for next Level: 1,307
    Achievements:
    Tagger Third Class Full Profile! Repped! Third Class Repped! First Class 10000 Experience Points
    Quote Originally Posted by ImAeternalis View Post
    if herc used any more mana he'd be unviable.
    He won 7 out of 10 games in that big winter tournament without bluestone where he was using tons of mana.

I'm pretty sure he'll cope. He's got one of the best warrior kits. Giving him one flaw was like giving Apollo one flaw. Everyone bitches about it but really they're still incredibly strong.

Level completed: 36%, Points required for next Level: 450
    Achievements:
    1000 Experience Points 1 year registered
    to be fair, alot can happen in 10 mins. If you lose a tower that means rotates, objectives, etc.

If you want to see snowballing, play LoL. If you even die once in lane it's pretty much gg unless you get help

Senior Member Honoured Snikeduden's Avatar
    Level completed: 51%, Points required for next Level: 396
    Achievements:
    Repped! Third Class 1000 Experience Points 1 year registered
    Quote Originally Posted by Huskystud View Post
    to be fair, alot can happen in 10 mins. If you lose a tower that means rotates, objectives, etc.

If you want to see snowballing, play LoL. If you even die once in lane it's pretty much gg unless you get help
    The snowball is not as strong in pro LoL than in Smite. In casuals it can be different, but the pros are supposed to play smart, yet the snowball can quickly get out of hand in a pro Smite game. Some of the reason why there is less snowball in LoL is that the dragon don't give gold, you gain less xp, some team comps are built for team fights while others are not, etc. The base is also harder to break through in LoL than in Smite.

Level completed: 52%, Points required for next Level: 681
    Achievements:
    1 year registered 10000 Experience Points Repped! Second Class Full Profile! Conversation Starter
    Quote Originally Posted by RippleApple View Post
    He won 7 out of 10 games in that big winter tournament without bluestone where he was using tons of mana.

I'm pretty sure he'll cope. He's got one of the best warrior kits. Giving him one flaw was like giving Apollo one flaw. Everyone bitches about it but really they're still incredibly strong.
    I don't understand how that's possible. With blue buff, sure, but without it he runs oom after 5 casts.

Achievements:
    Tagger Third Class Full Profile! Repped! Third Class Repped! First Class 10000 Experience Points
    Quote Originally Posted by ImAeternalis View Post
    I don't understand how that's possible. With blue buff, sure, but without it he runs oom after 5 casts.
    He just needs to build stone of gaia against any mage and he's fine. It's a good item on him anyway. Also his 1/2 combo clears wave once his 1 is at like level 4.

Having a bad early game means warriors get strong mid-games when their base damage catches up and their itemization unlocks their potential. Giving them a strong early-game also means it's impossible to out-poke them early, meaning there's literally never any reason to play any mage in solo lane under any conditions.

Senior Member Honoured LividLegends's Avatar
    Level completed: 25%, Points required for next Level: 682
    Achievements:
    Repped! Third Class 1000 Experience Points 1 year registered Full Profile!
    Well it really is in the choice of gods and how well you can keep yourself in check in the early game. Smite is a very different moba over other games such as LoL and Dota. Many characters in the game strive for the early game, the biggest example being Thanatos. But it's also the person playing. If there is such a Thanatos that can't land a scythe, the enemy jungler will snow ball because they don't have competition. It's also how well your team can accommodate your gods playstyle. If I wanna play Awilix but there is no one on my team with a knock up, well I'm screwed and it may cost me some levels or gold in the long run, as her 3 is easily counterable. Combacks are very possible, it just takes defensive and sneaky play, just because in the first ten minutes of the game their adc is 4 levels higher than yours, doesn't mean that if your team knows how to collapse properly they can't get that kill and begin another push. Using Curse or other speach programs like Skype can help this in the simple fact you can interact more easily with the player. Find groups you can use these with frequently and your win ratio to snowballing with turn in your favor.

Secondly, the SPL. You do need to understand that in the SPL, it is all play to win and they all use a voice program to interact while they are in the game. They know their openings a lot better than either of us do, and take them. If a team snowballs it simply means they were able to coordinate better than others. I have seen and been a part of many hard comebacks in my more recent Conquest games, and it's due to teamwork, not because the gods we play are snowball gods such as Thanatos. Back to SPL, they know how to secure and collapse better than most who aren't in the SPL. And if you're better than they are, sign up. In highend games such as the SPL, you would think it'd be common for a team to get ahead faster if their team picks accommodate each other. Like I said, if I play Awilix and I don't have people like Poseidon, He Bo, Sylvanus, Tyr, Hercules and other gods with direct knock up abilities, that game won't as good for me as I would want, leading to a probable snowball off the other jungler and team, due to the lacking ability someone may have on Awilix alone.
    Recent Concept:
    Frigg - Guardian/Mage (Read thread for more info)

Rekit/Rebalance Thread Series: Table of Contents

Senior Member Honoured Snikeduden's Avatar
    Level completed: 51%, Points required for next Level: 396
    Achievements:
    Repped! Third Class 1000 Experience Points 1 year registered
    The SPL teams are definately very good at catching people off guard. However, they should also be good at not getting caught aswell. Going for big plays against a well coordinated team should be quite risky, even if your own team is well coordinated.

I sometimes wonder if the SPL teams are forced into playing with high risk because the other team is playing with high risk. Investing heavily into actives can put you behind in items if the other team plays risky and delays their actives.

Things would change if teleport became "mandatory" for solo laners, since you would always have to take one more enemy into account before going for an offensive move.

There is also a lot less emphasis on deep wards to track the enemy jungler in their jungle compared to LoL. Sure junglers spend a lot of time in mid, but knowing when they go for back harpies (due to wards) is valuable information when deciding to gank a lane. This could also force the enemy into investing into sentries to prevent the enemy team to have vision inside their jungle. And this would in turn make invades more risky because you would have to assume the enemy would spot it and rotate with a numbers advantage unless you bring the whole team (or most of it), which would result in less pressure elsewhere.

I guess my rant is getting rather long at this point. I just wish the SPL teams would take more calculated risks than they are at the moment.

Achievements:
    You have to realize Smite still has a small community and a small company managing it.

Pro players aren't all as skilled as they should be, and if the userbase increases a lot of players that are deemed the greatest players now will be deemed par for the course just because fresh talent will come onto the scene. When that happens, games will become more interesting as every pro team will be far more organized than now.

Senior Member Infamous Disquieted1's Avatar
    Level completed: 22%, Points required for next Level: 1,092
    Achievements:
    3 months registered 10000 Experience Points Full Profile! Repped! Second Class Repped! Third Class
    Quote Originally Posted by SirSleeperOP View Post
    I have thought that lopsided games where the victor had already been decided by the 10 minutes mark is a casual queue symptom. I'm talking about the fact that the team gets like 3 levels above the other first just mops the floor with the enemy (in regard to a fallen behind jungler/support and the fed enemy adc the level difference can reach like 5-6 levels easily by that mark). It's either 10 minute surrender or a slow death struggle. Perhaps 1 out of 10 games that is close or can be stalled to a comeback at like 50 minutes lol (I mean when the dominating team fails to push and the other team catches up in levels).

Then I started watching the SPL and it's the same thing at the pro level it seems. Most of the matches decided early and then the game spirals into a long death struggle (because they don't surrender at SPL). Great comebacks are rare. Everything is decided at god selection and early game.

I think no other moba has such overwhelming and rampant snowballing as Smite and I think it hurts the game a lot.
    I call it the Two Minute Meta.
    Smite is an online multiplayer game. You can't have immediate gratification simply by starting the game. The ground is even. There's another player on the other side. You are not entitled to having everything favoring you at every time. If you don't like it, by all means, go back to the 1-shot-kills-all Aliens: Colonial Marines singleplayer.