Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: 3 weeks into the SPL, I'm convinced that snowballing is out of hand in Smite

Level completed: 79%, Points required for next Level: 238
    Achievements:
    Conversation Starter 5000 Experience Points Repped! Third Class Veteran

3 weeks into the SPL, I'm convinced that snowballing is out of hand in Smite

I have thought that lopsided games where the victor had already been decided by the 10 minutes mark is a casual queue symptom. I'm talking about the fact that the team gets like 3 levels above the other first just mops the floor with the enemy (in regard to a fallen behind jungler/support and the fed enemy adc the level difference can reach like 5-6 levels easily by that mark). It's either 10 minute surrender or a slow death struggle. Perhaps 1 out of 10 games that is close or can be stalled to a comeback at like 50 minutes lol (I mean when the dominating team fails to push and the other team catches up in levels).

Then I started watching the SPL and it's the same thing at the pro level it seems. Most of the matches decided early and then the game spirals into a long death struggle (because they don't surrender at SPL). Great comebacks are rare. Everything is decided at god selection and early game.

I think no other moba has such overwhelming and rampant snowballing as Smite and I think it hurts the game a lot.

Senior Member Chosen Pokechu212's Avatar
    Level completed: 21%, Points required for next Level: 715
    Achievements:
    1000 Experience Points Repped! Third Class 1 year registered Full Profile!
    Not only that, but the 2 Hunter/2 Guardian meta has completely exploded everywhere since the games from last week, and I've seen it start to leak into casuals as well. Until hunters and guardians are changed in some way, this game will be utterly broken unless both teams have 2 hunters and 2 guardians.

And I've actually seen a few surrenders in the SPL. They usually happen when a team gets a solid deicide late in the game.

Senior Member Prestigious Fênrîr's Avatar
    Level completed: 88%, Points required for next Level: 138
    Achievements:
    Tagger Third Class 5000 Experience Points Repped! Third Class Full Profile! Veteran
    Hi-Rez knows snowballing is a problem because they "Increased Gold Bounty cap limit from 500g to 750g." last patch. The problem with this is is that it doesn't really combat the issue until late game when it is potentially too late.

Honestly I really think the firstblood reward needs to be significantly reduced because 200 extra gold is too much with the combination that your enemy will also be down 2 possibly 3 levels by the time they get back to lane.

Senior Member Prestigious McKnightrider's Avatar
    Level completed: 15%, Points required for next Level: 1,368
    Achievements:
    1 year registered Repped! Second Class Repped! Third Class 25000 Experience Points Party Person
    There needs to be balancing all around. Guardians aren't fun to play so you can't really nerf the shit out of them but all of them played offensively are so strong. Having Athena's shield wall do 600+ damage with no power items outside of boots! Right now mages outside of obvious OP ones are worthless when you can just go guardian. Hunters are so broken. With under 5k gold they have enough items and power to take down GF. Going a warrior, assassin, mage, guardian, hunter is no longer a smart strategy, its doubling up on 2 classes like 2 guardians, 2 warrior, 2 hunters 2 of anything but mages seems to be the best idea.
    Tank meta is horrifying.

Level completed: 19%, Points required for next Level: 894
    Achievements:
    Tagger Second Class Repped! Third Class 1 year registered Conversation Starter 5000 Experience Points
    This thread makes a lot of sense to me and I totally agree with the snowballing issue. Even in league games, one team falls behind so much so early without doing much wrong that its hard to recover and comeback. Comebacks are only possible if you play defensive and prolong the game till all reach level 20, which is hard to accomplish or you steal a fire giant. The game is a bore fest after few minutes into it. Another issue is the early mana regen and XP gaining for guardians , which is often sluggish and they have to keep returning to base if they need to ward properly.Allow them to carry more than 2 wards and give them some mp5 benefits and protections at start.
    Last edited by arka222; 05-28-2015 at 10:31 PM.

Senior Member Honoured BorneBlood's Avatar
    Level completed: 68%, Points required for next Level: 360
    Achievements:
    Party Person 5000 Experience Points 1 year registered
    Yeah, honestly it's pretty sad.

Senior Member Prestigious BhastetKurza's Avatar
    Level completed: 98%, Points required for next Level: 31
    Achievements:
    Conversation Starter Repped! Third Class 10000 Experience Points Full Profile! Repped! First Class
    Hunters and guardians are too strong of a factor in this meta and it's annoying because it's just all damage and cc no brains.

I don't even see warriors anymore except for the occasional Bellona.

It's like only Guardians and Hunters exist.
    Wow...

Senior Member Honoured LokiWildfire's Avatar
    Level completed: 53%, Points required for next Level: 427
    Achievements:
    Tagger Third Class 1000 Experience Points Repped! Third Class 1 year registered
    That is why I play siege: no two hunter meta (way better to have a Loki or a Janus instead) nor two guardians, and snowballing is less intense (you can snowball, but the other team has to fuck it up significantly, otherwise the comeback is just behind door number 2).

Senior Member Prestigious BhastetKurza's Avatar
    Level completed: 98%, Points required for next Level: 31
    Achievements:
    Conversation Starter Repped! Third Class 10000 Experience Points Full Profile! Repped! First Class
    Quote Originally Posted by LokiWildfire View Post
    That is why I play siege: no two hunter meta (way better to have a Loki or a Janus instead) nor two guardians, and snowballing is less intense (you can snowball, but the other team has to fuck it up significantly, otherwise the comeback is just behind door number 2).
    I don't know if Sun Wukong, Bastet or Scylla would be good in seige. If they were I might play it more.
    Wow...

Senior Member Honoured LokiWildfire's Avatar
    Level completed: 53%, Points required for next Level: 427
    Achievements:
    Tagger Third Class 1000 Experience Points Repped! Third Class 1 year registered
    Quote Originally Posted by BhastetKurza View Post
    I don't even see warriors anymore except for the occasional Bellona.

It's like only Guardians and Hunters exist.
    I think that is a shame though. A Jungle Tyr can easily fuck up any hunter (3 push backs in a roll, massive damage and your own adc to nuke them, or your mage, or your assassin, or your guardian), and can compensate for guardian's CC (his CC is "you're out of position, and low on HP - or just dead").

And as I keep saying, I think it is less a problem of Hunters and Guardians being too strong, just that that combo is SO easy to use and offers about as much benefits as other combos that might work as well, perhaps better, but require many more levels of teamplay, coordination and skill - if I can be 90% effective 100% of the time, it is far more practical and efficacious than being 100% effective 50% of the time). The other obvious problem is: this is a skill shot based game (or used to be and that is the original core design) that has no real physics and a TON of CC. CC in Smite works similar to WoW, except a fight in SMITE is much less long. The CC diminishing thing should be completely redesigned. In fact, I am in favour of you not being able to be chain CCed at all - one mistake, one punishment; makes no sense if it is one mistake = you're insta dead.