Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Why Smite isn't as popular as it could be.

Level completed: 92%, Points required for next Level: 43
    Achievements:
    Repped! Third Class 3 months registered 1000 Experience Points

Why Smite isn't as popular as it could be.

SMITe is a good looking and fun game, but it isn't as popular as it could be, and most of these reasons are more or less fundimental design problems that could easily be avoided.

1. No in-game VOIP. This is the Havoc engine, the same engine Borderlands runs on. In this day and age, there is no excuse for a multiplayer game to not have VOIP short of not wanting it in the first place. Considering how much your pushing Curse Voice, you do want VOIP, but you didn't make it in your game? Thats a huge problem. I should mention Curse Voice sets off a lot of anti virus programs due to how poorly coded it is and that makes people very uneasy. Unlike Steam which doens't set off anything and is a lot more minimalist while being able to do the same things.

2. Hero design philosiphy of making the new hero intentionally OP and rebalnacing them a month later. This ruins casual play and really leaves a sour taste in player's mouths, which makes them want to play your more balanced competitors or just play other games entirely like Minecraft or Terraria or something. Stop doing this and make the hero balanced right off the bat. I know a few poeple who took a look at Ah Puch and said "Nope, I'm playing DOTA 2 and Heroes of the Storm instead" Remember, your casuals are where your money comes from, not your pros. DOTA 2 for example gets prize pools of over 10mil for their international, where only 25% of all 'compendium' sales goes into this prize pool, the other 75% goes straight to VALVe in pure profit, and most of these sales are from the couple million casuals who play the game. And they have a fun time with DOTA because heroes aren't released and made super OP, but are balanced with the rest of the cast right off the bat or even underpowered.

2b. Talking about gods and DOTA, DOTA has all their heroes for FREE, SMITE follows the League model which valve has proven is less profitable in general but also has the "ultimate god pack". I'd recommend you make the ultimate god pack extremely obvious, maybe even on the front page of the store, so poeple know they don't need to buy new gods, but can just spend 30 dollars and buy the game itself instead and have all gods unlocked. (And don't need to search through the bowels of your website to find this deal)

3. Constantly changing the UI. People get used to a UI and when its constantly changing when a game is out of beta really leaves players uneasy. Allow custom UI mods and just keep the UI as it is unless you absolutly need to make a change due to an entirely new mechanic.
    Last edited by ArchmageMC; 05-28-2015 at 06:47 PM.

Senior Member Prestigious McKnightrider's Avatar
    Level completed: 15%, Points required for next Level: 1,368
    Achievements:
    1 year registered Repped! Second Class Repped! Third Class 25000 Experience Points Party Person
    1. No idea what VOIP is. If its a graphic engine, you have to keep in mind some of the weakest systems can play smite just fine. Pumping up the graphics to much could cause it to suffer
    2. Not EVERY god that is released is OP. Of the last few Hou Yi and Nox were both under powered. Medusa, Bellona and Ah Puch we're OP
    3. Wrong. Constantly changing the UI is a good thing. That's why you see websites like MSN or Yahoo constantly changing their UI. If you don't change it up, it becomes stagnate and boring. Its just changing it to something worst can be harmful. Overall its not to bad.

Senior Member Prestigious HawkboyJr's Avatar
    Level completed: 14%, Points required for next Level: 1,129
    Achievements:
    Reputation Distributor Full Profile! 1 year registered Repped! First Class 10000 Experience Points
    Agreed on all points. An integrated voice communication program and releasing gods on more even terms or (if necessary) slightly underpowered would definitely improve the game. Consistency in UI and more visible product placement are never a bad thing, but not issues I've found particularly prevalent in Smite.

Senior Member Prestigious Fênrîr's Avatar
    Level completed: 88%, Points required for next Level: 138
    Achievements:
    Tagger Third Class 5000 Experience Points Repped! Third Class Full Profile! Veteran
    None of those are going to deter players at least in any significant way at all.

Lets compare this to the most popular Moba which is League of Legends to your list.

1 - LoL does not have voice chat.

2 - LoL arguably does the same thing. Just like in Smite something being released broken is hardly ever intentional. You have to realize that in the testing phase the control pool of players is significantly smaller than the main servers.

3 - As you said LoL does the same thing.

4 - Within the past year of LoL they have gotten a new client a semi new UI (that is still buggy to shit btw).

So going off your logic LoL should not have 10's of millions of people playing their game and Dota 2 should have significantly more populated. Sorry but it doesn't work that way and it never really has.

Smite isn't as popular as it could be the same reason why current MMORPG's will most likely never be more popular than WoW. LoL had it's foot in the door of the genre way before smite did and people generally do not way to leave things they invested a bunch of time into. If Smite came a year or 2 earlier it might be a much different story.

What Smite has going for it over other mobas is the view perspective and Mythology theme. I am certain you remove just one of those and it wouldn't be near as well off as it is now.

Now I am not disagreeing that VOIP should not be in the game without a 3rd party tool or a more consistent UI, but those things are not what is keeping people from this game. It goes much deeper than that because people do play the game and end up getting scared away by things such as matchmaking and how terrible the league system is.

Achievements:
    Reputation Distributor Full Profile! 1 year registered Repped! First Class 10000 Experience Points
    Viewing recent dev talks, I find it very hard to believe that they are in any way erring on the side of caution with new gods, as they seem perfectly well aware of what they expect to be broken. Just check out Ratataskr's dev talk if you need a refresher. :P

Senior Member Prestigious Fênrîr's Avatar
    Level completed: 88%, Points required for next Level: 138
    Achievements:
    Tagger Third Class 5000 Experience Points Repped! Third Class Full Profile! Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by HawkboyJr View Post
    Viewing recent dev talks, I find it very hard to believe that they are in any way erring on the side of caution with new gods, as they seem perfectly well aware of what they expect to be broken. Just check out Ratataskr's dev talk if you need a refresher. :P
    Rata has already been nerfed twice on the PTS. Saying something is broken while in the testing phase is not the same as releasing something and saying "we want it to be that way" otherwise why bother nerfing then until the next god comes out?

Not every god has been broken on release.

Then again if you really think about it from a balance perspective it is much easier to tone something down than it is to buff up.

Level completed: 20%, Points required for next Level: 560
    Achievements:
    Repped! Third Class 1000 Experience Points Tagger Third Class 1 year registered
    Quote Originally Posted by ArchmageMC View Post
    1. No in-game VOIP.

2. Hero design philosiphy of making the new hero intentionally OP and rebalnacing them a month later.

2b. DOTA has all their heroes for FREE

3. Constantly changing the UI.
    1. Why do you need VoIP if they promote Curse Voice like crazy, it's basically the same thing in my eyes.

2. I do somewhat agree on this one, although it might not be intentional, since some lately released gods are OP, but a few others are also underpowered.

2b. I like to purchase the gods instead of having all of them for free. Furthermore it is an advantage to have only the gods you want on Assault and some random pick MOTDs.

3. They changed the UI so many times because people didn't like it. Additionally the changes are not that severe and with a previous change they added an option to configure the UI yourself.
    How about Assault League or MOTD League?

Achievements:
    Quote Originally Posted by Fênrîr View Post
    Rata has already been nerfed twice on the PTS. Saying something is broken while in the testing phase is not the same as releasing something and saying "we want it to be that way" otherwise why bother nerfing then until the next god comes out?

Not every god has been broken on release.

Then again if you really think about it from a balance perspective it is much easier to tone something down than it is to buff up.
    Multiple times in the demo they acknowledged that the scaling on Rataskr's a abilities were really high. While they made minimalistic changes, such as a nerf to his heal, he still has access to a huge amount of cheap power on the highest scaling god in the game. Granted, it’s not as big as some of their other rather obvious oversights recently (40% slow at level 1 on Ah Puch’s undead surge? 100% attack speed steroid at level 1 on Medusa’s first ability? Bellona’s healing? 120 + 28% x6 damage on Ao Kuang’s Dragon Call?), but even so if they were erring on the side of caution they most certainly would not have allowed such obviously over tooled abilities and kits through design, let alone through the PTS.
    It’s not tragic, we find ways to beat them even with their overtooled kits, but a god isn’t more fun or moore interesting because they’re stronger than older gods, if anything power creep makes them harder to feel good about playing and makes the older, power crept gods feel lackluster and disappointing, despite having a kit you love.
    Power creep does nothing good for the game and shouldn’t be encouraged in Smite. It doesn’t earn Hi Rez more money, it doesn’t make the god more fun for the population and it does, to a degree, undermine the integrity of the game.

Level completed: 4%, Points required for next Level: 385
    I honestly think the reason the player base is not as big is simply because this game is hard. Everything is a skill shot even auto attacks so to a casual gamer whos not very good it makes it difficult to do good and if you get destroyed every game thats not fun is it? I mean even the auto attacks are hard to land for people. I mean I have literally danced around some ADC who are bad and they only land one or two auto attacks and die.

Forum Moderator Infamous SeventhArchon's Avatar
    Level completed: 81%, Points required for next Level: 662
    Achievements:
    Repped! First Class Repped! Second Class Party Person Tagger Third Class Full Profile!
    1. The game is too hard for your average LoL plat (or Smite level 24).
    2. Release gods should be slightly underpowered, not ridiculously broken, I'll give you that.
    3. The UI change is a good thing, badly executed.
    4. Voice communication is good but you can't force it. 90% of the community has a "broken mic" (preference to BM in written form).
    5. It's new, it's been out for 1 year.
    *Disclaimer: I am a volunteer moderator. I work on best judgement and do not speak on behalf of Hi-Rez Studios.*
    wtb new signature