Page 38 of 44 FirstFirst ... 28 36 37 38 39 40 ... LastLast

Thread: SRPG Brainstorm

Retired Super Moderator Prestigious KingScuba's Avatar
    Level completed: 28%, Points required for next Level: 1,748
    Achievements:
    Arm of the Law! Full Profile! Tagger First Class! Reputation Distributor Tagger Master Class
    Awards:
    Master Tagger
    Quote Originally Posted by Desmion View Post
    While I am not against the 2 elemental affinity part, I also see where the dm is coming from. If, however it is a very isolated incident and has some large drawback to balance them out, it may pass. Maybe like a stance switcher that needs to do something specific to change between the two.

But even now, you aren't banned from using different elements. From what I understand, and please correct me if I am wrong, but you have a main attribute but you can learn and use all other aside from your direct counter. So a character can use 2 or more elements to attack, it just wouldn't be as strong for the secondary attributes.

Maybe if you want to have 2 main, then they can have 4 that heavily counter them.
    Yep. A god is a different category than a demigod. I'd be fine for an elemental switch character, actually, so long as it's interesting and the switch takes up the lvl 3 magic slot.

The way I described it was a bit complicated, but again, it's to help bring balance to the story and prevent godmoding. I explained it here to let you guys vote on it. If everyone hates it, then why keep it? The goal is to have as much fun as we can.

Also as you stated, you can have up to 7 magical elements. You just cant use magic that directly counters your magic. Thus you can still wield more than one style of magic and create reactions, but only one magic will be an affinity to you. I see no problem here personally.
    Disclaimer: I am a volunteer moderator. I work on best judgement and do not speak on behalf of Hi-Rez Studios. Also I will not be able to contest your in-game ban.

Level completed: 30%, Points required for next Level: 780
    Achievements:
    Full Profile! Tagger Third Class 1 year registered Repped! First Class 5000 Experience Points
    Name: Dante Firenze
    Nickname: The bartender
    Age: Looks like he is in the mid to late 20ies but is much older
    Weight: 6'
    Height: 65kg
    Eye Color: green
    Hair Color: red
    Force: Neutral
    Faction: Wanderer only.
    Apostle: Athena
    Element: Light
    History: Dante was once a general that led armies to many victories. Many attributed his success to his patron goddess and his second in command. The daring Charity was a force to be reckoned with. Some say that she was pushed the boundaries of brutality just to spite her name. While Dante did not agree with her rage, he did recognize her unfailing loyalty. It was this quality that had cost poor Charity her life for she died protecting Dante after he used his "Aegis" ability to save her from an ambush. To this day, he carries the scars of the death of his comrade and beloved. After her death, he cursed Athena for his constant service. Due to his accomplishments, the goddess had always found another enemy to vanquish, another god to humiliate, another perceived slight to be righted. He left her services and started an inn vowing to never go to war. The business venture turned out to be quite successful with the patronage of several gods among some renowned heroes. A special friendship had developed between Dante and Dionysus during his years of being a bartender. It was a friendship I say and not based solely on the fact that the god drank deep and was generous with his coin. However, with the disappearance of the gods and a sizable portion of his clientele Dante is once again forced to take up arms. Will his journey return his goodwill to his fellow man and patron goddess or will it completely wither away and die?
    Description:

Favors : He is clever, calm under duress and analytical. While he has a fondness for money, he isn't blinded by riches or possessions. He appreciates level headed individuals and those who demonstrate good moral characteristics.

Hates : He hates individuals who are vain, impractical, and amoral. While he is not above doing breaking the law, he does not do it for no reason and does not like those who choose this path. He hates losing and will lose his cool if he feels that he is cheated. The only person that he has ever truly hated has been Athena for asking so much from him and not helping him protect what mattered most to him. (He isn't stupid enough to blame the whole affair on her but it still bring him to an uncontrollable rage to see comrades die or talk about the past event.)

Personality: He does not like killing, and only does so when absolutely necessary. He was not known to be overly affectionate or emotional before the incident and since, it was only on few drunken occasions that he was seen laughing in good cheer. He is often described as cold and stoic but he is very carrying. He is loyal to his comrades and tries to do what is best for everyone.
    Combat Skills: He is very proficient with a spear and shield. While he may not be as good with other weapons, his years in combat has brought him in contact with many different armaments. Due to these experiences, he is able to adequately wield almost any type of weapon. The only exception being his sword work, which has been described as quite good (due to the need to use it after his spear was thrown or broken)
    Weapons: Spear and shield, by preference. If not, then his sword will do.
    Magic

Level 1 Magic - Mental Pause - Time slows down for Dante to the point where seconds feel like hours. This allows him to critically analyse the situation and make decisions appropriately. It dose cause mental fatigue.

Level 2 Magic - Bolster - Dante's words can influence their target. While it can be used to increase his troops moral and to foster loyalty, its most recent use was to prevent brawls in his bar ( in order to prevent disrupting the other patrons and to not cause any damage to the property). The ability cannot be used to make one go against their nature.

Level 3 Magic - Aegis - He can make himself or someone else invulnerable for a few seconds. This is really taxing and almost incapacitates Dante for the rest of the day. The range is 10m from him.

Level 4 Magic - Not allowed without an artifact containing . If used w/o Mental Fatigue Free, will cause instant unconsciousness

Artifact:

Current Location: Not sure, in his bar or on his way to meet the other wanderers.

Is this good? Any changes?
    A society grows great when old men plant trees in whose shade they know they shall never sit. --- Greek proverb

8000th reply!!!!

Achievements:
    Arm of the Law! Full Profile! Tagger First Class! Reputation Distributor Tagger Master Class
    Awards:
    Master Tagger
    des, im in ts. Check your pms real quick.
    Disclaimer: I am a volunteer moderator. I work on best judgement and do not speak on behalf of Hi-Rez Studios. Also I will not be able to contest your in-game ban.

Senior Member Prestigious DonaldX's Avatar
    Level completed: 95%, Points required for next Level: 67
    Achievements:
    Repped! First Class Conversation Starter Tagger Second Class Reputation Distributor 10000 Experience Points
    @Desmion idea of the ability was that he can only do it will allies he has already "marked" and not just to anyone.

His Bolster can work on anyone when its verbally heard, or only to the allies he is able to mentally talk to.
    That was my idea but I guess I didnt put it forth correctly.

@Scuba I'm not a big fan of that system.
    I think the elements shouldn't affect the fights that much.

Maybe something like, if you counter your opponents element it means your level 2 magic will break through his level 2 magic so you aren't afraid of going head on.
    If you are fighting an opponent with a superior element you will have to play it safe and not just go hit him because you will be overwhelmed.
    Still a level 3 magic of an inferior element should win against a level 2 magic of the superior element.

Think of it like this, if you have the superior element you have more Penetration. If both the fighters are on the same level the superior element will have the upper hand.

But that's about it, we don't want fights to be decided by the elements we choose.

Achievements:
    Awards:
    Master Tagger
    Quote Originally Posted by DonaldX View Post
    @Scuba I'm not a big fan of that system.
    I think the elements shouldn't affect the fights that much.

Maybe something like, if you counter your opponents element it means your level 2 magic will break through his level 2 magic so you aren't afraid of going head on.
    If you are fighting an opponent with a superior element you will have to play it safe and not just go hit him because you will be overwhelmed.
    Still a level 3 magic of an inferior element should win against a level 2 magic of the superior element.

Think of it like this, if you have the superior element you have more Penetration. If both the fighters are on the same level the superior element will have the upper hand.

But that's about it, we don't want fights to be decided by the elements we choose.
    In the long run, the system is not going to really effect most fights for your character. That particular example was only used for magical shields as well (which won't be used a ton until much later in the RPG, when lvl 4 or possibly lvl 5 magic is available for use). It will rear it's head occasionally, but I think most people will forget about it unless I mention it to them (which will generally be to create more attention to the environment or the world at large). also note, you'll almost always be traveling with a partner, who will have a different element. So you should generally be covered.

I believe the elemental vote is now 2 in favor, 2 against.
    Last edited by KingScuba; 05-23-2015 at 02:43 AM.

Senior Member Prestigious VarenWolf's Avatar
    Level completed: 27%, Points required for next Level: 813
    Achievements:
    Tagger Third Class 5000 Experience Points Full Profile! Repped! First Class Veteran
    @Scuba

I'm for it.
    Many of life's failures are people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up.
    Thomas A. Edison
    Join the Light Side to oppose the Evil Dark

im right now in jupiter thats why i have such a bad reseption
    Level completed: 17%, Points required for next Level: 417
    Achievements:
    Repped! Third Class Full Profile! 3 months registered 500 Experience Points
    I'm not a fan of the elements thing I think It limits the skills so no my vote is against

Achievements:
    Awards:
    Master Tagger
    your vote was counted caz. vote is 3 in favor, 2 against.

Also, the entire point of elements was to limit players. There's 3 systems to limit players. The Element table, the Spell level + slots, the affinity system :P
    Last edited by KingScuba; 05-23-2015 at 11:34 AM.

Level completed: 1%, Points required for next Level: 1,494
    Achievements:
    Tagger Third Class 10000 Experience Points Party Person Conversation Starter Repped! Third Class
    OK so here's the deal, I have to do 20 pieces of work for a up coming gallery. So I don't know if I'll be able to participate.

im right now in jupiter thats why i have such a bad reseption
    Level completed: 17%, Points required for next Level: 417
    Achievements:
    Repped! Third Class Full Profile! 3 months registered 500 Experience Points
    Ok well I'm ok with element thing but what im not ok is with the affinity system but I'll try it and see how it goes