Thread: Doppelgänger, the Mirrored Image

Level completed: 88%, Points required for next Level: 87
    Achievements:
    Tagger Third Class Repped! Third Class 1000 Experience Points 1 year registered

Doppelgänger, the Mirrored Image

LORE
    Pantheon: Germanic (and others)
    Class: Assassin
    Type: Creature

The well known creature of Germanic Myth has appeared in Germania for centuries. The Doppelgänger does not just appear in one place however, the creature of darkness, of alter egos and double spirits, has appeared in the folklore, myths, religious concepts, and traditions of many cultures throughout human history.

In Ancient Egyptian mythology, a ka was a tangible "spirit double" having the same memories and feelings as the person to whom the counterpart belongs. In one Egyptian myth entitled, The Greek Princess, an Egyptian view of the Trojan War, a ka of Helen was used to mislead Paris of Troy, helping to stop the war.

In Norse mythology, a vardøger is a ghostly double who precedes a living person and is seen performing their actions in advance. In Finnish mythology, this is called having an etiäinen, i.e., "a firstcomer".

In Breton mythology as well as in Cornish and Norman French folklore, the doppelgänger is a version of the Ankou, a personification of death.

APPEARANCE

Mask or no mask, the idea is for him being some shadow like creature who's tendrils (think Venom from Spiderman) can absorb peoples energy and life to copy them. As you will see in the abilities below...

ABILITIES
    Ability 1 - Dark Clone
    Doppelgänger duplicates his own dark visage, creating two Doppelgänger clones that fight and run by his side depending on his actions. He is swapped with a random clone, so it's not obvious to the enemy which is the real one (i.e. to his left, right or remains in the same spot). Each clone has a small percentage of his attack (5% or so) and they have his current health, but die instantly after losing 25% of it. For every second upgrade, Doppelgänger summons another clone (max four clones summoned).
    Type: Activated

Ability 2 - Twin Punch
    Doppelgänger summons and sends the clone in a direct line. Throwing itself at the enemy, the clones damages the enemy God in a "superman" punch like animation. If a clone is nearby, it will throw the clone instead, which will "superman" punch a God hit. The thrown clone can be activated again exploding black goo everywhere, causing Area of Effect damage.
    Type: Lined Skillshot, Reactivate AOE

Ability 3 - Body Double
    Doppelgänger teleports to a thrown clone, swapping places with it (which can still be exploded). If no clone has been thrown, it teleports to a random summoned clone, switching places with it. This has no animation AT ALL, so to the enemy it seems like nothing has happened. This means if you summon clones and they're lucky enough to attack the right one (i.e. you), you can swap with one and the enemy thinks they're still attacking you (until the clone dies).
    Type: Targeted

Ultimate - The Doppelgänger
    Doppelgänger does what he does best. He copies a chosen enemy God's appearance, skills (including CDs) stats and items for ten seconds. If he loses a certain percentage of health he is forced back into his natural form (loses same percentage of HP in original form). The ult is targeted but he can also copy the last God he used the ult on.
    Type: Targeted

This allows the player two possibilities; first and most obvious is it can copy any enemy gods skills and can unload all of them before returning to its original form. Balanced by the fact it also takes CD, which means players won't be able to copy any enemies abilities at any time even in the middle of a battle (but they can for their stats). Secondly when using the ult there are no indications which Doppelgänger is the enemy; by being able to choose any God from anywhere, they can potentially infiltrate the enemy team (at least before they realize and type/speak to their team). They can still damage him its just not indicated that he is the enemy.

Passive - Dark Sacrifice
    Whenever a clone dies, Doppelgänger gains a charge of duplication, duplicating it's attack damage (which in turn is 5% of Doppelgängers attack) for three seconds. This comes to a maximum of four charges for +20% attack damage which lasts 3 seconds (or a total of 6-12 seconds across increments of clone deaths).

Basic Attack
    While this would be SO HARD to animate it would be pretty awesome as it reflects the Deity and theme. Doppelgänger attacks with his arm, which copies the weapon of whoever he is attacking (i.e. Nemesis would be a black sword-arm, Bakasura a black claw-arm, Herc a black club-arm). Or he could just attack with his arms, black claw-fist tendril things that punch the enemy.

EXAMPLE SCENARIO
    It's 4v4 mid and both sides jungles are missing, waiting to pounce. The teams are poking but neither will commit to an engagement so Doppelgänger reuses his ult and becomes the enemy teams jungle: Bakasura. He jumps into the middle of their team who do not realise at first until the disguised baka pops the baka ult and begins to attack their team, among the confusion they target Bakasura (Doppelgänger), dropping enough of his health to cancel the ult before Doppelgänger can use the rest of Bakasura's abilities. At that point Bakasura appears but it's too late, half his team is dead. Doppelgänger pops his clones, surrounding Bakasura in a 9v3 beatdown (extra 4 are the clones).

NOTES
    First off this is a God designed for advanced players in a way, who have a wide knowledge of other Gods, their stats, their skills so they can copy them and use them to their advantage (the more Gods you know, the better you are at Doppelgänger).

This is an unorthodox design, so I'm aware of any balancing issues. That would be up to the experienced Designers at Hi-Rez to work out with their own mechanics. I really wanted to try something different, especially with the "Mythical figures who aren't gods" theme for this months challenge. I like the idea of it being this creature of darkness and shadow that assumes the form of other people, like Loki but EVEN LESS PREDICTABLE! And scary as !@#$! I also think that in addition to having him copy other Gods, the idea of having him copy himself to make Doppelgängers out of THE Doppelgänger is really interesting imo.

No pictures are my own, and all are referenced in the hyperlink
    This concept remains the intellectual property of Hi-Rez Studios to do with as they wish
    Last edited by vDeschain; 04-27-2015 at 02:09 AM.

Level completed: 79%, Points required for next Level: 241
    Achievements:
    Repped! Third Class Full Profile! 5000 Experience Points Veteran
    something u can add to the ult is that if he is damaged while transformed, the person he is transformed as takes the same damage.

Achievements:
    Quote Originally Posted by Bhullar1 View Post
    something u can add to the ult is that if he is damaged while transformed, the person he is transformed as takes the same damage.
    I like that, maybe a debuff or slow? Not sure how OP it would get then lol

Junior Member Senior Cupidhead Adamir's Avatar
    Level completed: 11%, Points required for next Level: 448
    Achievements:
    500 Experience Points 1 year registered
    I. Need. This. Only problem is the current number of assassins outweighing most other classes, but it isn't a big deal seeing how differently Doppelganger plays

Achievements:
    Quote Originally Posted by Adamir View Post
    I. Need. This. Only problem is the current number of assassins outweighing most other classes, but it isn't a big deal seeing how differently Doppelganger plays
    Glad you like it haha. Agreed, but I do think this could fill a few other roles or meta roles like potentially warrior or mage. But you can't have a Dopplerganger without it being an assassin. I hope Hi-Rez does something like this in the future.