Thread: How to have Steam overlay in Smite

Level completed: 39%, Points required for next Level: 244
    Achievements:
    31 days registered 100 Experience Points

How to have Steam overlay in Smite

Hey I'm posting my solution on how to get Steam to work with Smite. I had it working many months ago and then Hi-rez released a Steam-killer to make my old way impossible.

Anyway here is how I do it now step by step:

1. Download my Steamoverlay.vbs OR copy the text down below into a notepad file and make the .vbs yourself.
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/b2mmtml0l2...erlay.vbs?dl=0

2. go to the smite directory. for me this is
    C:\Program Files (x86)\Hi-Rez Studios

3. Insert Steamoverlay.vbs into this folder

4. Place the Smite shortcut from your desktop into this directory (if you use steam you will need to launch it from steam, not the desktop anyways.)

5. Add Smite to your steam games. This can be done before moving the shortcut or after, but you need to add the file named Smite.

Okay the next steps are trickier but also easy. Just know that if your overlay is not working after having done the above correctly, it's because you failed one of the steps after 5.

6. Go to the Steam library and configure Smite.
    A. Find Smite
    B. Right click Smite
    C. Left click properties
    D. In target insert "C:\Windows\System32\cscript.exe" "C:\Program Files (x86)\Hi-Rez Studios\Steamoverlay.vbs" WITH THE "" INCLUDED
    E. Make sure nothing but "C:\Windows\System32\cscript.exe" "C:\Program Files (x86)\Hi-Rez Studios\Steamoverlay.vbs" is inside target.
    F. Make it so that it starts in "C:\Program Files (x86)\Hi-Rez Studios\" AGAIN WITH THE """ INCLUDED!
    G. Hit close

7. Launch Smite through Steam and have fun

8. (optional) if you want to, you can create a desktop shortcut through steam, but I personally don't use this.
    A. Right click Smite in the Steam Library
    B. Left click create desktop shortcut
    C. Move the shortcut where you want it

Now, during launch you will get 2 black boxes, or at least I do. They are CMDs and can be closed. I usually close them after I hit play, not before.

If you for any reason at all don't want this anymore all you gotta do is launch smite from the smite shortcut. The steamoverlay.vbs does nothing unless smite is launched through steam, Basically you just move the shortcut back to where you had it before and delete the .vbs and your smite is 100% as it was before.

Here's what the .vbs looks like on the inside:

Launcher = "Smite"
    Client = "Smite"

' if nothing was passed in, we are starting from scratch, so start the launcher
    If WScript.Arguments.length = 0 Then
    Home = WScript.ScriptFullName
    Home = Left(Home, InStr(Home, WScript.ScriptName)-1)

'run the launcher
    Set objShell = WScript.CreateObject("Shell.Application")
    objShell.ShellExecute Launcher, "", Home

' create the file that the elevated script will copy executables's path and commandline to
    set fso = CreateObject("Scripting.FileSystemObject")
    set tempfolder = fso.GetSpecialFolder(2)
    tempname = tempfolder & "\" & "steam.tmp"
    set tempfile = fso.CreateTextFile(tempname)
    tempfile.close()

'run this script but signal that it needs to elevate by giving it the tempfile name as an argument
    Set objShell = CreateObject("Shell.Application")
    objShell.ShellExecute "cscript.exe", Chr(34) & WScript.ScriptFullName & Chr(34) & " " & tempname, "", "runas", 2

WScript.Echo "Waiting for other script to finish..."
    ' check every second if the temporary file has been updated with the commandline info
    Do While True
    'check the filesize of the tempfile
    set tempfile = fso.GetFile(tempname)
    If tempfile.Size > 0 Then Exit Do
    WScript.Sleep 1000
    Loop

ExecutablePath = Home
    set tempfile = fso.OpenTextFile(tempname)
    CommandLine = tempfile.ReadLine
    tempfile.close()

Set objShell = CreateObject("Shell.Application")
    objShell.ShellExecute Client, CommandLine, ExecutablePath

fso.DeleteFile tempname
    WScript.Quit
    Else
    ' we are elevated now
    WScript.Echo "Waiting for launcher to start client..."

'Get Windows Manager object
    Set objWMIService = GetObject("winmgmts:" & "{impersonationLevel=impersonate}!\\.\root\cim v2")

' check every second for client that was launched by launcher
    While True

'Get info on processes named Client
    Set InstanceList = objWMIService.ExecQuery _
    ("Select * from Win32_Process Where Name = '" & Client & "'")

for Each Instance in InstanceList
    cmdline = Instance.CommandLine

'we found the client we care about
    Instance.Terminate()

'remove the exe path and name from the cmdline
    position = InStr(1, cmdline, """ ") + 1
    cleanCmdLine = Right(cmdline, Len(cmdline) - position)

tempname = WScript.Arguments(0)
    set fso = CreateObject("Scripting.FileSystemObject")
    set tempfile = fso.OpenTextFile(tempname, 2)
    tempfile.WriteLine(cleanCmdLine)
    tempfile.close()

WScript.Quit
    Next

WScript.Sleep 1000
    Wend
    End If
    Last edited by Ashslayer; 04-20-2015 at 06:12 PM.

Level completed: 3%, Points required for next Level: 388
    Any ideas on how to get it working with In-Home Streaming? It's the really big question for players with multiple computers, not all of which are PC (i.e. Mac).

Senior Member Infamous Trubblegum's Avatar
    Level completed: 28%, Points required for next Level: 1,238
    Achievements:
    Repped! First Class Repped! Second Class 25000 Experience Points Party Person Veteran
    Isn't this, you know, against the terms and conditions (of both programs) and as such, uh, illegal?

I'm not sure, I don't read that kind of stuff.
    Disclaimer: I am a volunteer moderator. I work on best judgement and do not speak on behalf of Hi-Rez Studios.

Level completed: 17%, Points required for next Level: 583
    Achievements:
    Repped! Third Class Full Profile! 3 months registered 1000 Experience Points
    Quote Originally Posted by Trubblegum View Post
    Isn't this, you know, against the terms and conditions (of both programs) and as such, uh, illegal?

I'm not sure, I don't read that kind of stuff.
    This is not against the tac of steam. This however IS against the tac of smite. For a stupid reason, but still against the tac. (when you agree to the tac/eula it says you can't modify the software itself, this is technically modifying it by enabling the steam overlay in the game.) you might get a ban for doing this, but support might be kind enough to unban you since you can't cheat with this.

Note: if you use a program like overwolf, or wtfast, you're not modifying smite itself, the steam overlay is, but the overwolf overlay is not, because it's a background process that forces itself in front of smite (even if it's fullscreen). wtfast is a vpn, does not get you banned on any game. The steam overlay however is injected into the game itself, it's normally whitelisted, but it still may trip anti cheat alarms.
    1v1 me at hoops breh

Senior Member Infamous Disquieted1's Avatar
    Level completed: 22%, Points required for next Level: 1,092
    Achievements:
    3 months registered 10000 Experience Points Full Profile! Repped! Second Class Repped! Third Class
    Or... you could use "Add Non-Steam Game to Library" in Steam, and launch Smite via Steam.

Edit: Never mind. I missed step 7. ggwp L2Read
    Smite is an online multiplayer game. You can't have immediate gratification simply by starting the game. The ground is even. There's another player on the other side. You are not entitled to having everything favoring you at every time. If you don't like it, by all means, go back to the 1-shot-kills-all Aliens: Colonial Marines singleplayer.

Level completed: 48%, Points required for next Level: 261
    Achievements:
    1 year registered 1000 Experience Points
    Or, you could do what is described here: http://www.reddit.com/r/Smite/commen...nonsteam_game/
    ...and do it without adding files and scripts and whatnot that might get you banned. Works fine for me with steam-overlay and everything.

New Member Cupidhead BerialSama's Avatar
    Level completed: 3%, Points required for next Level: 388
    can you be more specific? .. i mean when you say "add the file called smite" you mean .. the shorcut named smite -btw is imposible because is not an exe - or the smite.exe in the folder win32 intalled..

i added via "adding the no steam game thingy" and i get the game to run but not the overlay ... :V (btw i notice that im on the client and it shows that im playing smite and yara yara yara ... but no overlay ...)