Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Work in Progress

HiRez Staff Senior Cupidhead lilmamacita's Avatar
    Level completed: 8%, Points required for next Level: 834
    Achievements:
    1000 Experience Points Repped! Third Class 1 year registered

Work in Progress

Got a cool project you're working on? Want to show off your progress an your mad cosplay and craftsmanship skills.Why not post it here. Note: Work In Progress Pictures will likely be posted on our social media, such as Twitter,and Facebook. So please make sure to put down your info(twitter/Facebook/deviant art/ect). If you do not wish for your work to be shared on our social media please state so.
    Last edited by lilmamacita; 03-19-2015 at 12:12 PM.

Junior Member Cupidhead MandaBearSmash's Avatar
    Level completed: 59%, Points required for next Level: 206
    Achievements:
    Full Profile! 3 months registered Repped! Third Class 500 Experience Points

Carnival!

Really glad someone designed/approved this carnival design. These are pretty intricate and complicated costumes (especially for as little as it looks like there is) and I've wanted one for a long time, so excuses, excuses this happened... #FanMadeFriday <3

Wire, soldered with epoxy. (Should be welded but probably a violation of my lease terms.)

Half inch strips of spandex over 3/8" strips of felt to cover the wire frame. Outer crown is spandex only to reduce size, and the extra cushioning isn't necessary.

Shells in 6mm EVA. Cut, sanded, glued, eventually covered in spandex.

#FactFriday I couldn't find the spandex I wanted locally so I bought some leggings on Amazon and cut them up.
    More WIP with descriptions on Imgur
    Last edited by MandaBearSmash; 03-20-2015 at 11:08 AM. Reason: More info

Achievements:
    More Neith stuff:

Here's a really nifty tutorial on rigging! It's one that I've used for a few years now and you can tweak the materials to suit your need, like here I used snaps sewn to leather instead of industrial snaps & PVC.

Here are the masters/molds/materials for the shoe/bracer gems. They're sort of a combination of these processes:

Volpin's Needler on Tested (link is to casting)

Cold casting (Smooth-On) but with glitter.

Some sewing. Gold stretch velvet stabilized with fusible tricot interfacing, moleskin lining. I used THIS TUTORIAL for the small gold strap and followed advice from THESE SWIM TIPS for the rest.

Finished gems for the shoes and bracers.

C'mon now! What all are you guys working on? Convention season is just getting started, and I know some of you have costumes you're working on!~

Achievements:
    Thank you to everyone that has been paying attention and watching as this comes together. I may not be very gud at Smite (yet) but how I make things is one way that I can show, with some skill, what Smite means to me. This is an absolutely over the top costume, it's supposed to be, and it has been a challenge and an awesome experience creating one for myself.

Thong progress:

The shell is Worbla wrapped in matching spandex, stoned, and snaps onto the panty, making the panty easier to wash between wearings. I can also use another female snap and attach the shell to any other bottom. This can now have both a SFW and a NSFW version.

Overskirt progress:

The skirt is made of two layers of ombre organza, with 6mm double fold tissue lamé. Still needs details and dingles.

That is a single thread dart (there are four on the butt, two on each layer of organza) - instructional found HERE. I've been waiting to use this technique for a couple of years now. Forget the costume - #FactFriday these darts are some of the sexiest sewing you will ever see. <3 <3 <3

Pictures of pictures is progress, yeah?

Don't forget! All the detail & progress shots are still being posted to imgur!

Achievements:
    Most of this progress is dull, dirty, and dangerous.

Template, base, first end draft in foam, the amout of time I was OK with foam, new MDF bow end. Was planning to seal then clean up in post but er'rybody know it's better to have a solid build up front than patch it later. (Why do Java devs wear glasses? Because they can't C#.)

Wiki article on MDF and why it does what it does. I don't work with this stuff often but a friend does so I'm following her example.

Fev mentions using cyanoacrylate (super glue) to both smooth out the fuzz of the fibers and seal the surface. As an added bonus, when you sand through the glue primer, it's easy to reapply and fast curing.

Haseo Dual build (.hack//) by FEV!

HOWEVER! This stuff is CRAZY TOXIC!!! A respirator is an absolute must-have for work like this, not a dust mask, or a P95, but a Pretty Woman-Safety Girl-Nothing's getting through this sucker-100% of particulates and vapors blocked-OSHA approved-full face if you've got it- mask. I couldn't smell a damn thing but holding it too close to see better hurt in a "these chemicals are evaporating the moisture from the insides my eyes" kind of way. The application process is like coloring with poisonous markers.

I'd really like to mold this next week but there's still at least 3-4 more circles of sandpaper hell and the 4 large stones + settings to go.

Senior Member Prestigious Trisitella's Avatar
    Level completed: 37%, Points required for next Level: 891
    Achievements:
    Conversation Starter 10000 Experience Points Repped! First Class Full Profile! Veteran
    Wow, that is really impressive, I love looking at cosplay.
    Keep up the good work!
    <3
    ♥ ♥ Kiyohime is the OG Yandere! ♥♥

Can We Get Persephone In This Game Please?
    ==And Su Daji To, Please!==

Achievements:
    Quote Originally Posted by Trisitella View Post
    Wow, that is really impressive, I love looking at cosplay.
    Keep up the good work!
    <3
    Thank you very much! <3 It's a lot of fun and you should defo give it [cosplay] a go if you have the chance. (If you do and ever need anything, holler! My IGN & Curse are my forum handle here.)

Not as far with the bow as I'd wanted to be by now but dupes of the odder sized stones for the ends are cast. Still need some cleanup and mounting (heh).

The two part putty is nice for super quick molds like these. Mixing takes less than five minutes and full cure in twenty-five, I think? If you decide to use this, you know - read the box, follow the directions. The resin is leftover a Smooth-On 65D kit from a previous project and cures in fifteen minutes. My favorite thing about this mold stuff is it's food safe (until you put not food safe stuff in it anyway). It's pretty thick though and can be difficult to manipulate to capture detail well. It's relatively inexpensive per unit, not by volume, and with coupons (Hobby Lobby), it's far from "Amazing" it defo works in a pinch.

EDIT: Wanted to include a link to the mold putty, turns out it's on Prime. :|
    Last edited by MandaBearSmash; 05-16-2015 at 07:37 AM. Reason: SNAP THIS IS PRIME ELIGIBLE!

Level completed: 10%, Points required for next Level: 995
    Achievements:
    Full Profile! Repped! First Class 5000 Experience Points Veteran
    This is awesome. I can't wait to see what it looks like when it's all done!

I never did any "cosplay" stuff, though I did go to Baycon a couple years in costumes of various sorts.

Achievements:
    Quote Originally Posted by RatGirl View Post
    This is awesome. I can't wait to see what it looks like when it's all done!

I never did any "cosplay" stuff, though I did go to Baycon a couple years in costumes of various sorts.
    Thank you! Sorry for the delayed response! There was a small hiccup in plans so Neith's bow was put on hold for Bastet. Momocon is going on and it seemed slightly more appropriate all around, so the last two weeks was throwing all of that together. Baycon sounds pretty interesting. Costuming, cosplay - regardless it's a chance to wear something fun and or silly as all get out.

Made mostly from junk lying around - foam, resin, PVC, connectors, wood ball (jokes)

The clothes are a knit I had and some others I found at JoAnn. Some slight deviations from the reference with the pinks and structure on the cutsew but it's close enough to get the point. The skirt is pinwale corduroy (looks more like a knit in the ref, but corduroy cause corduroy), the green/teal I had, the purple custom dyed from a cut of the blue. Leg warmers, most not pictures, all made or pieced together from knits, serged. These are all old, most of it is finished. Sorry for all the missing detail photos. I was busy trying to get the detail parts, you know... done.

Thank you again! Have a great weekend!

New Member Cupidhead Bradiatore's Avatar
    Level completed: 81%, Points required for next Level: 78
    Achievements:
    3 months registered 250 Experience Points
    Loki WiP!!

I cut the shapes of Loki's armor out of 3/8" anti fatigue foam floor puzzle squares. I then drew the designs on paper, cut them out, and transferred to the foam.

I used a soldering iron/woodburner tool at and angle on the lines I had traced (burned left/traced right)

I ended up not liking it 100% so I also sanded along the grooves, left by the tool, with a dremmel. (sanded left/burned right)

I liked that ALOT and proceeded to do that to all the pieces!

Hope you enjoy/find helpful!