Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Overclocking and How it can get you banned

Super Moderator Prestigious KingScuba's Avatar
    Level completed: 44%, Points required for next Level: 956
    Achievements:
    Arm of the Law! Full Profile! Tagger First Class! Reputation Distributor Tagger Master Class
    Awards:
    Master Tagger

Overclocking and How it can get you banned

I'd like to bring to light an issue concerning Overclocking, why people are getting banned, and hopefully how you can prevent it.

Let's start by defining overclocking.

Overclocking is the act of raising your Computers "clock" cycles. (Your GHZ). This can be done by raising your Multipliers or by Adjusting your BLCK speed. It's much safer and stabler to raise your multipliers rather than your BLCK. By overclocking your machine, you're also making it run hotter, which is why you need aftermarket cooling (Either a better Heatsink, or a watercooling loop.)

Do not try to Overclock your computer unless you have the hardware and knowledge. You can OBLITERATE your CPU if you're not careful! If you must try to overclock, please visit overclock.net and follow one of their guides.

(Just to highlight this, When I built my computers, It took me about 15 hours each to make sure everything was safe after overclocking them)

Now, on to why people are getting banned for this.

There is apparently an issue with Intel processors where the firmware in the motherboard (MOBO) BIOS is not reporting settings and timings to the Unreal 3 Engine (which smite uses) correctly. Specifically, the older MOBOs and CPUs seem to be the culprits. Newer motherboards seem to be fine, so anything post 2012 appear to be safe. (I'm running an i7 3930k and an i7 2600k on higher end MOBOs, both above 4.4 ghz, they're running fine and safe for me)

What's actually happening with this overclocking issue is the game is literally running faster than it should be. Your movement speed, animations, and cooldowns happen faster than the server allows, resulting in an unintentional "Speed Hack"

You can tell if this problem is happening with you by simply looking at the start menu. If things have sped up noticeably, or your skill CD's are shorter than they should be, DO NOT PLAY SMITE, or you WILL get banned.

Here are a couple links where hirez has talking about this.

http://www.reddit.com/r/Smite/commen...es_confirm_an/
    http://www.reddit.com/r/Smite/commen..._twice/%5B1%5D
    Last edited by KingScuba; 03-08-2015 at 09:51 PM.
    Disclaimer: I am a volunteer moderator. I work on best judgement and do not speak on behalf of Hi-Rez Studios. Also I will not be able to contest your in-game ban.

Senior Member Infamous Trubblegum's Avatar
    Level completed: 63%, Points required for next Level: 602
    Achievements:
    Repped! First Class Repped! Second Class 25000 Experience Points Party Person Veteran
    So, by raising your clock cycle, you can speedhack almost everything.

And people thought I was crazy when I saw the enemy Arachne ult every 17 seconds.
    Despite all appearances, I am not, in fact,
    an onion.

Forum Moderator Infamous SeventhArchon's Avatar
    Level completed: 65%, Points required for next Level: 1,223
    Achievements:
    Repped! First Class Repped! Second Class Party Person 25000 Experience Points Tagger Third Class
    Glad this got to the announcements. Always helpful to prevent unwarranted bans AND a form of cheating.
    *Disclaimer: I am a volunteer moderator. I work on best judgement and do not speak on behalf of Hi-Rez Studios.*

~I only play Jungle Practice, so note that my opinions are colored by that fact~
    "I am a primordial being: eternal, infinite, and still not nerfed enough."
    Quote Originally Posted by TigrisCallidus
    QUOTES ARE NO ARGUMENTS!

Super Moderator Prestigious KingScuba's Avatar
    Level completed: 44%, Points required for next Level: 956
    Achievements:
    Arm of the Law! Full Profile! Tagger First Class! Reputation Distributor Tagger Master Class
    Awards:
    Master Tagger
    Quote Originally Posted by Trubblegum View Post
    So, by raising your clock cycle, you can speedhack almost everything.

And people thought I was crazy when I saw the enemy Arachne ult every 17 seconds.
    No. It only applies to older intel processors and games that use the Unreal Engine 3.
    Disclaimer: I am a volunteer moderator. I work on best judgement and do not speak on behalf of Hi-Rez Studios. Also I will not be able to contest your in-game ban.

Level completed: 25%, Points required for next Level: 303
    Achievements:
    7 days registered
    I don't know with the great processors we have now, why do we need to overclock? I would understand back then when we had Pentium 4's we overclocked from 2.6 ghz to like... 3.2... lol.

I got a AMD 8350 8 cores and 4.0ghz, what else do I need?

Level completed: 94%, Points required for next Level: 34
    Achievements:
    3 months registered Repped! Third Class 500 Experience Points
    I don't see how overclocking is speeding up CD. Generally all CDs in games are handled on the server to make it harder to hack, the only way you can try and hack them is with injections and i'm not even sure if that would work.

When they say speed hacking they are more than likely referring to positional changes, your client and the server have to constantly talk to each other to know where you are in the game, if the client was somehow running faster it would give the effect to other players that you were teleporting around in game rather like the effects of lag.

Junior Member Senior Cupidhead Cafall's Avatar
    Level completed: 9%, Points required for next Level: 459
    Achievements:
    Repped! Third Class 250 Experience Points Tagger Third Class 3 months registered
    See, I knew I wasn't just seeing things.

There was this one match I had sometime in mid February, where I played an Arena and the enemy team had a Bacchus who focused me for the majority of the game since the rest of my team was just ew.

I played as Poseidon.

I kid you not, he could always be on my back no matter how much I ran with my back turned to him. He did not even use his 2 (belly flop) to catch me either. He would constantly run up to me, and by the time I was somewhat near our portal, I would turn around and he would be right there in my face and use his 3 (belch), or he'd belch before I got to turn around, and THEN he'd use his flop instead of the other way around.
    It got to a point where I would literally run all the way to our towers and he'd still be on me.

Did I mention I was playing POSEIDON?? Getting movement speed buffs from my passive, 2 (trident), AND boots?
    It made no sense at the time but now I see how it could be possible.

Edit:
    And to be honest, if you're gaming to the point where you know how to overclock, and you notice a considerable speed up when you get onto whatever PvP MMO it is you're playing and you decide to play anyway, you deserve to be banned, even if temporarily.
    #CryingOverYourOwnSpilledMilk
    Last edited by Cafall; 03-12-2015 at 11:41 PM.

Senior Member Prestigious McKnightrider's Avatar
    Level completed: 15%, Points required for next Level: 1,368
    Achievements:
    1 year registered Repped! Second Class Repped! Third Class 25000 Experience Points Party Person
    Just encountered a god where every time I would get close to a thanatos I would get unbelievable lag and ping, he would use his entire kit while I was frozen for a second and then run away and my ping would return to normal. usually if I get ping it last for awhile or all match, this was just everytime I encountered thanatos. Would this be caused by overclocking?
    Also when I mentioned it to my team, not a single one of them believed overclocking was a thing.

Level completed: 87%, Points required for next Level: 52
    Achievements:
    3 months registered 250 Experience Points
    Quote Originally Posted by McKnightrider View Post
    Just encountered a god where every time I would get close to a thanatos I would get unbelievable lag and ping, he would use his entire kit while I was frozen for a second and then run away and my ping would return to normal. usually if I get ping it last for awhile or all match, this was just everytime I encountered thanatos. Would this be caused by overclocking?
    Also when I mentioned it to my team, not a single one of them believed overclocking was a thing.
    It could possibly be because of overclocking, I have never experienced this before, so I don't know for sure.

Junior Member Senior Cupidhead HotBread's Avatar
    Level completed: 72%, Points required for next Level: 196
    Achievements:
    1000 Experience Points Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by McKnightrider View Post
    That's a tough one.
    I doubt overclocking would result in an increase in ping on your end, though I have heard of players using lag switches in other games to affect the ping of the entire lobby. Lately I've been experiencing issues, namely when playing Assault, with my ping sitting at 86 until the beginning of a fight and then shooting up to 300+ until the fight is over. In any match in which this occurs, it is consistent through the match, however, I am fairly confident this is due to either my system or my connection.
    god of eXPLOSIONS