Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Obsidian Shard?

Senior Member Honoured PrinceRaven's Avatar
    Level completed: 43%, Points required for next Level: 400
    Achievements:
    1000 Experience Points Repped! Second Class 1 year registered
    Well, it doesn't actually decrease the enemy's protections, protection reduction is a separate thing. What it does is give you penetration equal to 33% of the target's protection stat.
    Quote Originally Posted by MTGEl33t View Post
    Listen to PrinceRaven, he seems to know what he's talking about most of the time.

Level completed: 17%, Points required for next Level: 416
    Achievements:
    3 months registered 250 Experience Points
    So is anyone actually 100% sure what it does? ^^ Completely different statements and everyone claims hes right is the worst :<

I was just kinda confused when I looked at my stats and saw I still have 0 penetration after buying Obsidian shard

But I agree there should be more options for mpen. Maybe small amounts on other items so you can stack. Instead of just having to buy 1 of 2 viable items while 1 of them is obviously better for most gods
    Last edited by Drycee; 02-28-2015 at 07:41 AM.

Senior Member Honoured PrinceRaven's Avatar
    Level completed: 43%, Points required for next Level: 400
    Achievements:
    1000 Experience Points Repped! Second Class 1 year registered
    Yes, we know 100% what it does, it operates exactly as described in The Word of Thoth.
    Quote Originally Posted by MTGEl33t View Post
    Listen to PrinceRaven, he seems to know what he's talking about most of the time.

Retired Super Moderator Prestigious KingScuba's Avatar
    Level completed: 9%, Points required for next Level: 1,547
    Achievements:
    Arm of the Law! Full Profile! Tagger First Class! Reputation Distributor Tagger Master Class
    Awards:
    Master Tagger
    Quote Originally Posted by PrinceRaven View Post
    Of course Brawler's penetration goes through more protections than Titan's Bane against Ra bot, Ra only has 10 (+2.5 per level) physical protection. As long as Ra is under level 20 and has no protection items Brawler's Beat Stick's flat 20 will be higher than the 33% from Titan's Bane , and they are equal at level 20 as Ra will have exactly 60 physical protection (but Brawler's will still do more damage because of its 10 extra physical power).

I don't know if they're trolling or legitimately misinformed, but BishopxX is completely wrong about this.
    Dude's either trolling or hasn't the faintest idea how smite works.

For those debating, Use my link to the Tome of Athena, and go read the Word of Thoth (Particularly how penetration works)

Obsidian penetrates 33% of the enemy's TOTAL MDEF. If they have 60 armor from an item, and 40 natural armor, then you're penetrating 33% of 100 (which is 33 points, since you round down)

All gods have natural protections against magic and physical, that scale with level. So even if you don't build armor, you still have a modest amount of defense on most gods.

However early game, Yes, this item isn't the greatest. And that's where a lot of players screw up. It has a good amount of power, and it's not expensive, but generally you'll be better served by a different item.

For gods that rely on AA, like Freya, Chronos, or AA Poseidon, Demonic Grip is a good item to get.

For gods that are single hit burst, Like Hebo, Janus, and Scylla, Obsidian is a good item to get.

For gods that rely on DOT damage, like Anubis, Power Poseidon, or Kulkukan, Spear is a good item to get.

Dynasty Plate helm is good for an early ~ mid game item when you're facing a lot of magic damage.
    Disclaimer: I am a volunteer moderator. I work on best judgement and do not speak on behalf of Hi-Rez Studios. Also I will not be able to contest your in-game ban.

Level completed: 82%, Points required for next Level: 93
    Achievements:
    1000 Experience Points 1 year registered
    Quote Originally Posted by BishopxX View Post
    I'm laughing so hard at the people who come on a public forum... and claim the item makes you bypass 33% of armor.

And say it with a straight face.

Takes less time to log in and test ...
    But that's exactly what it does though

Junior Member Senior Cupidhead Vanngarrd's Avatar
    Level completed: 56%, Points required for next Level: 176
    Achievements:
    100 Experience Points 31 days registered
    Quote Originally Posted by BishopxX View Post
    I'm laughing so hard at the people who come on a public forum... and claim the item makes you bypass 33% of armor...
    Little tip, don't start a post like this when you're wrong. It makes you look pretty foolish gonna be honest. Flat pen is more useful on targets with less protections percentage pen is better on targets with more because 33% of 15 is less than 33% of 300. Look at word of thoth for some of the maths behind it all. 33% of your current pen would make it useless and one mean it would contribute nothing if you didn't already have pen.

Junior Member Senior Cupidhead Metamorphis's Avatar
    Level completed: 46%, Points required for next Level: 384
    Achievements:
    1 year registered 1000 Experience Points
    Honestly, it's one of my favorite items to get on any magical class because it can be so great.
    "I wouldn't call myself itsy bitsy if I were you."
    Team iMeta
    • Metamorphis
    • MTGEl33t
    • soullessxone
    • Anewbus828
    • M3T4D3M1S3
    • Jobobo888

Member Worshipper TheSwimmingCat's Avatar
    Level completed: 63%, Points required for next Level: 338
    Achievements:
    Tagger Third Class Repped! Third Class 1000 Experience Points Veteran
    its a mendatory item in 1v1 on mages, because its the item that is strongest against objectives. if you need to destroy a tower/pheonix quickly (less than 15 seconds) you need obsidian shard (unless you're chronos)
    I don't like being squishy, I prefer being a raid boss

Senior Member Infamous Trubblegum's Avatar
    Level completed: 28%, Points required for next Level: 1,238
    Achievements:
    Repped! First Class Repped! Second Class 25000 Experience Points Party Person Veteran
    Usually I built Obsidian on Kuku, but lately I'm trying to tear myself away from that for Spear.
    Disclaimer: I am a volunteer moderator. I work on best judgement and do not speak on behalf of Hi-Rez Studios.