Page 2822 of 3083 FirstFirst ... 1822 2322 2722 2772 2812 2820 2821 2822 2823 2824 2832 2872 2922 ... LastLast
Results 28,211 to 28,220 of 30827

Thread: Official Off-Topic Thread

Banned Prestigious Fusionsamurai's Avatar
    Level completed: 67%, Points required for next Level: 373
    Achievements:
    1 year registered 5000 Experience Points Full Profile! Conversation Starter
    Quote Originally Posted by Azilo View Post
    Thinking like that is why the world never changes.
    Quote Originally Posted by BobKetchup View Post
    it's not a waste if people actually vote for them. and if they get 5% of the vote they get what they need to run for president again and maybe become more popular. The way voting works is that, if people vote for someone, they have a higher chance of being president. Then when you get told that it's a wasted vote, no one votes for them. The statement that you're spreading is why they fail.
    Third party can't win because you won't vote for them.
    Quote Originally Posted by Slaycrol View Post
    Pretty much this
    voting for 3rd party is not throwing away your vote, its a sign of change and the mindset of "3rd party cant win" is the worst thing ever existing in society
    its the same here in germany, many parties and yet only a handful gets voted because they are "popular"
    Let me give you a lesson in comparative politics.

"in political science, Duverger's law holds that plurality-rule elections (such as first past the post) structured within single-member districts tend to favor a two-party system and that "the double ballot majority system and proportional representation tend to favor multipartism."

This is one of the most basic rules of political science. This basically breaks down to:"in winner take all systems, the goal is to form the biggest coalition possible to win. This results in two party systems".

Adding third parties splits the bigger parties, resulting in bigger parties always winning.

So, for example. In America, the party distribution should look something like-

Democrats-50%
    Republicans-50%

The goal in any given election is to maintain your states and convince other states to vote your way. If you add libertarian, it will split that 50:50 ratio and destroy the Republicans.

For the sake of the argument, the libertarian party just became relevant. They have 5% of the vote. Given they are a more center-right party, we'll say they steal 4% of the republican's votes and 1% of the democrats.

Now the election looks like-
    Democrats-49%
    Libertarians-5%
    Republicans-46%

Which means democrats are completely uncontested.

Germany has a system of proportional representation, which means getting a percentage of the vote gives you a percentage of the seats. (Though communist and neo-nazi parties are banned).

Because of this, they are designed to be a multi-party system.Each party individually doesn't have enough votes for a majority, so their government forms coalitions of parties with similar interests. This means any party that meets the 5% threshold has potential to form a coalition with a bigger party and gain power.

The Christian Democrats are the biggest party in germany currently, and so anyone in a coalition with them will have control of the government.

This is the result of a proportional representation. America is quite the opposite.

Tl;dr

No, third parties in America stand in chance, and voting for them is a wasted vote.

Senior Member Infamous TheLethalCorgi's Avatar
    Level completed: 16%, Points required for next Level: 1,262
    Achievements:
    10000 Experience Points Party Person Conversation Starter Repped! First Class Repped! Second Class
    Quote Originally Posted by BobKetchup View Post
    I had just fixed my sleep schedule and then about 20 minutes ago I could've sworn that I heard someone messing with our doors and I audibly heard a voice say "COME ON" "COME ON" and I saw them enter the house and they looked straight down the hallway dead at me, I was squinting so it would look like I was sleeping. I could hardly see the guy, I tried to yell "SOMEONE BROKE IN" but my voice didn't function, my body went into shock for some reason, it's not that nothing was said, it put strain on my body and I made a strange noise that was sort of muffled and strained so I assumed that the burglar would just think I had a snoring problem. it seemed like he had moved from the front door, that's when I got my glasses and a knife and stalked around the corner to look for him, something told me not to yell that someone was here because I didn't hear anything, The house floors are rickety, I would have heard him moving. I peered into my parent's bedroom and my dog was just laying down on her bed looking at me like "Why are you in here?" And I realized, no one came in the house, There probably wasn't anyone messing with the doors either. I have never hallucinated audible words. Hell i've never hallucinated, It was really weird, I don't think I can sleep now.
    Has anything like this ever happened to you guys?
    Joltak coming for your ass

King of the Piplups Chosen inferno18's Avatar
    Level completed: 36%, Points required for next Level: 901
    Achievements:
    1 year registered Party Person Repped! First Class 10000 Experience Points
    This one goes out to Magic -

What happens when a furry is getting chased by the police?

..It's a police fursuit

*braces self for the shitstorm of derep*

Senior Member Prestigious Dmantakae's Avatar
    Level completed: 32%, Points required for next Level: 1,032
    Achievements:
    Tagger Third Class Repped! First Class 10000 Experience Points Full Profile! Arm of the Law!
    Quote Originally Posted by MagicFighter View Post
    Gary Johnson and Jill Stien had no chance in this election what so ever, voting for them was absolutely a wasted vote.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fusionsamurai View Post

No, third parties in America stand in chance, and voting for them is a wasted vote.

Voting for Hillary was a wasted vote. Saw this post the other day in response to upset democrats - Jill Stein/Gary Johnson would've won if people didn't waste their votes on Hillary.

When it comes down to it, the only people to blame are the DNC and Democrats. Enough of this should've could've would've over voting for 3rd party candidates.

On top of that, if a 3rd party gets 5% of the vote they would get general election funds as well as be included in future presidential debates. People are starting to realize that having 2 major parties isn't working, and that we need more options. And I'm one of them, granted Jill Stein and Gary Johnson weren't the best choices, you can't blame people for voting for them.

Trump is president, accept it. It's not going to change, if you don't like it, then I don't know what to tell you. But trump is president, and now the only thing to do is move forward.

If you don't like the fact that Republicans are the majority in the senate and congress, then wait til the mid-terms and do your part to change that.
    Last edited by Dmantakae; 11-10-2016 at 08:15 PM.
    Ex-Smite forums Lead mod, currently Paladins forum lead mod

Goodbye Smite forums <3

Level completed: 64%, Points required for next Level: 1,491
    Achievements:
    Veteran Repped! First Class Reputation Distributor Party Person Discussion Ender
    People really don't understand that you can't just let a hypercarry free-farm.

I should not be allowed to get six waves solo and uncontested as Artemis.
    Last edited by Goobis; 11-10-2016 at 10:23 PM.
    Your Local Resident Trash Doggo
    I'm cheating on Anubis, Camazotz is in the dumpster now.

Senior Member Infamous TheLethalCorgi's Avatar
    Level completed: 16%, Points required for next Level: 1,262
    Achievements:
    10000 Experience Points Party Person Conversation Starter Repped! First Class Repped! Second Class
    Anyone else go out of there way to piss enemy players off even though there's a high chance you'll die doing it?

Senior Member Prestigious BobKetchup's Avatar
    In a Heinz Ketchup Bottle crying because I realized I misspelled ketchup in my location for 6 months
    Level completed: 29%, Points required for next Level: 998
    Achievements:
    Full Profile! Repped! Third Class Repped! First Class 10000 Experience Points Party Person
    Quote Originally Posted by TheLethalCorgi View Post
    Anyone else go out of there way to piss enemy players off even though there's a high chance you'll die doing it?
    Every time I do anything as Fenrir.
    Half of what I say is a joke.
    http://niceme.me/
    Survivor Ullr is Billy Mays
    My Top Warriors: Bellona Ravana Amaterasu
    My Top Assassins: Fenrir Thor Mercury
    My Top 3 Guardians: Ares Xing Tian Sobek
    My Top 3 Mages: Hades Sol Zeus
    My Top 3 Hunters: Ullr Hou Yi Medusa

King of the Piplups Chosen inferno18's Avatar
    Level completed: 36%, Points required for next Level: 901
    Achievements:
    1 year registered Party Person Repped! First Class 10000 Experience Points
    mfw you get three +reps for making a shitty pun

EDIT: Oh btw 3 rep bars. Wheeee >;3

EDIT 2: I realised when playing Thoth. His ult without CDR has a 75s cooldown. Book of Thoth needs 75 stacks to max.. Hi-Rez, you sly bastards ;)
    Last edited by inferno18; 11-11-2016 at 06:01 AM.
    IGN in Smite is SamurottsFury. Friend me if you want cancer.
    I identify as Piplup's sassiness; Don't ask questions
    I is also a three time God Concept contest winner ~~
    My Concepts

Senior Member Prestigious BobKetchup's Avatar
    In a Heinz Ketchup Bottle crying because I realized I misspelled ketchup in my location for 6 months
    Level completed: 29%, Points required for next Level: 998
    Achievements:
    Full Profile! Repped! Third Class Repped! First Class 10000 Experience Points Party Person
    Half of what I say is a joke.
    http://niceme.me/
    Survivor Ullr is Billy Mays
    My Top Warriors: Bellona Ravana Amaterasu
    My Top Assassins: Fenrir Thor Mercury
    My Top 3 Guardians: Ares Xing Tian Sobek
    My Top 3 Mages: Hades Sol Zeus
    My Top 3 Hunters: Ullr Hou Yi Medusa

Level completed: 64%, Points required for next Level: 1,491
    Achievements:
    Veteran Repped! First Class Reputation Distributor Party Person Discussion Ender
    Hnnnnggggg S&M so close...
    Your Local Resident Trash Doggo
    I'm cheating on Anubis, Camazotz is in the dumpster now.