Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Mixed defense items working better than dedicated ones

Senior Member Prestigious LuxInterior's Avatar
    Level completed: 18%, Points required for next Level: 1,398
    Achievements:
    Party Person Repped! First Class Reputation Distributor Tagger First Class! Repped! Second Class

Mixed defense items working better than dedicated ones

During Season 1, a basic tank build was almost a no-brainer. You started with Sovereignty, which gave the most physical protection, then picked any magical protection item you favored (generally Stone of Gaia, with others for countering and some more interesting choices for physicals).

Now we have what I believe it's the intended combo, Sovereignty and Heartward Amulet. However,even with the combined auras giving the same effect as Season 1 Sovereignty, this combo appears to be a very poor choice.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but the most powerful tank start is Hide of the Urchin + Spirit Robe. Even without any stack from Urchin, you get both 85 physical and magical defense from those (raising to 105 with 10 stacks). If you go Sov and Amulet, you'll get 75 phys and 80 magical, counting the auras.

With my combo, you don't get an immediate boost in one of the two defense stats as you would with regular items, but you can have the best defense two items can give you - even before Urchin's stacks, which is very weird, to say the least. The combo cost 860 more gold, but I think that's a relatively small price to pay, less than a level 3 active.

I just think it's bad that general bruiser items perform better than specialized defense items, particularly those aimed at helping the team. Sovereignty nerf was too heavy-handed, and Hertward Amulet didn't compensate for it. It's just one more thing that makes supporting even more ungrateful than before.
    Last edited by LuxInterior; 02-18-2015 at 03:54 PM.
    Learn Smite with tough love on my #SargeSeries
    Motörheads is recruiting! Sign up here

Senior Member Prestigious McKnightrider's Avatar
    Level completed: 15%, Points required for next Level: 1,368
    Achievements:
    1 year registered Repped! Second Class Repped! Third Class 25000 Experience Points Party Person
    Honestly, I would never build Soveignty on any support now. Hide of Urchin has more defense at +45 for magical and physical (+65 at full stacks) more HP, and more mana. Heartward amulet, I would still consider building, but never soveignty.

Level completed: 55%, Points required for next Level: 317
    Achievements:
    1000 Experience Points Tagger Third Class 1 year registered
    The aura is for your team. You're the support, you're supposed to hang back, provide auras and ward and do your best not to leech any xp or gold from the team.

Senior Member Prestigious LuxInterior's Avatar
    Level completed: 18%, Points required for next Level: 1,398
    Achievements:
    Party Person Repped! First Class Reputation Distributor Tagger First Class! Repped! Second Class
    Quote Originally Posted by SpitefulOne View Post
    The aura is for your team. You're the support, you're supposed to hang back, provide auras and ward and do your best not to leech any xp or gold from the team.
    Aura items (those two mentioned) are too weak and that makes for a bad support, who gets killed or can't stay in combat long enough. With the loss of gold boots, a support that doesn't farm can't do anything anymore, so the era of being the team's doormat is over. Supports now need kills and minion kills as everyone else. You may argue that this just means that the guardian support role is over, to which I would agree, if by guardian support you mean no kills or any other farm.

However, I would consider those two items combined with lotus crown for tanky healers.
    Last edited by LuxInterior; 02-18-2015 at 05:06 PM.
    Learn Smite with tough love on my #SargeSeries
    Motörheads is recruiting! Sign up here

Senior Member Prestigious McKnightrider's Avatar
    Level completed: 15%, Points required for next Level: 1,368
    Achievements:
    1 year registered Repped! Second Class Repped! Third Class 25000 Experience Points Party Person
    Quote Originally Posted by SpitefulOne View Post
    No, you're suppose to be at the front working as a deterrent, taking hits if necessary.

Otaku Mod Infamous MiyobiKumagawa's Avatar
    Level completed: 71%, Points required for next Level: 818
    Achievements:
    Tagger Third Class 25000 Experience Points Arm of the Law! Discussion Ender Party Person
    Awards:
    Most Popular
    Supports are the main au derv for defense, initiation, and peel unless you are Hel support or Aphrodite, but even with those two you should be building defense.

Hence Supports body block a lot of the damage late game.

SpitefulOne I think you are mistaking that meta for the supports in LoL who stay back and support the team.
    *Disclaimer: I am a volunteer moderator. I work on best judgement and do not speak on behalf of Hi-Rez Studios.*

Forum Moderator Infamous SeventhArchon's Avatar
    Level completed: 81%, Points required for next Level: 662
    Achievements:
    Repped! First Class Repped! Second Class Party Person Tagger Third Class Full Profile!
    1. Spirit Robe and Hide of the Urchin are pure defense items. Bruisers build pure defense and pure offense items as well, just not 6 of one category.
    2. The role is called SUPPORT, not TANK. You support with Sov/HWA. You tank with Hide of the Urchin and Spirit Robe.
    *Disclaimer: I am a volunteer moderator. I work on best judgement and do not speak on behalf of Hi-Rez Studios.*
    wtb new signature

Senior Member Honoured PrinceRaven's Avatar
    Level completed: 43%, Points required for next Level: 400
    Achievements:
    1000 Experience Points Repped! Second Class 1 year registered
    Keep in mind that Sovereignty and Heartward also give you 500 HP on top of their 75/85 protections, 25 HP5, 20 MP5 and auras.

Hide and Spirit Robe give you 85 physical and magical protection, 105 with max stacks on Hide, but only 250 health. So their combined defensive stats are really about the same as Sov and Heartward. (If you want to you can use Krett's effective health calculator to figure out which is stronger and by how much).

So the question really is what's more valuable; 20/20 protection aura, 25 HP5 aura and a 20 MP5 aura for 4200 gold? Or 15% CDR and damage mitigation when hit by hard CC for 4960 gold?

For me, I'll take the cheap auras every time.

Senior Member Prestigious Nalessa's Avatar
    Level completed: 36%, Points required for next Level: 709
    Achievements:
    1 year registered 5000 Experience Points Repped! First Class Repped! Second Class Repped! Third Class
    the hp aura is nice in assault if it's a pokewar and noone has a way to heal.
    Tastes like purple.
    Drommels, drommels, drommels!

Senior Member Prestigious Nalessa's Avatar
    Level completed: 36%, Points required for next Level: 709
    Achievements:
    1 year registered 5000 Experience Points Repped! First Class Repped! Second Class Repped! Third Class
    Quote Originally Posted by MiyobiKumagawa View Post
    SpitefulOne I think you are mistaking that meta for the supports in LoL who stay back and support the team.
    You can be an initiator as Leona or Thresh, not all of them are backliners neither.
    Tastes like purple.
    Drommels, drommels, drommels!