Thread: Need some advice for solo laning

Junior Member Cupidhead ARealPhoenix's Avatar
    Level completed: 84%, Points required for next Level: 84
    Achievements:
    3 months registered 500 Experience Points

Need some advice for solo laning

Hey guys. I'm new to these forums, and have been playing Smite for around 1-2 months now. I need some advice for solo laning, particularly against characters that do magical damage. Whenever I go against Ra, Chang'e, Hades etc in solo I do pretty poorly.

I was hoping to get some clues from the swc, but right now it seems that the meta is to have bruisers in solo lane, so I mainly saw a ton of rune forged hammers going into witch blade. I usually go for a stone of gaia whenever I go against a mage in solo but I end up getting out pushed, mostly because I can't clear the wave as quickly as the enemy mage it seems.

Any advice on what to build, how to stop myself from getting pushed under tower and what to do if I am forced under tower with the enemy wave would be really appreciated.

Also, on a side note I use an xbox 360 controller to play Smite. I'm really bad at playing with a mouse and keyboard, and I play on my bed so I wouldn't have a good surface to use a mouse with. Using a controller feels great - except that I can't turn around extremely quickly like everyone else since I have to work with the sensitivity of the controller. I turned the sensitivity up as high as I could, but I still feel pretty slow compared to everyone else. This is particularly irksome when I'm playing as an adc, and I can't turn around instantly to use my dash (although Apollo's mesmirise, Neith's backflip and Rama's dash ,which works differently from everyone else's for some reason, help to deal with this problem.) Is there any way for me to Increase my sensitivity further, or will I just have to deal with it? Thanks in advance for any help ^^
    Last edited by ARealPhoenix; 02-13-2015 at 11:14 AM.

Senior Member Prestigious VarenWolf's Avatar
    Level completed: 27%, Points required for next Level: 813
    Achievements:
    Tagger Third Class 5000 Experience Points Full Profile! Repped! First Class Veteran
    Well mages are meant to push. They however are squishy so would recommend getting hog in that case and Pick up 2 tier to Stone of Gia then move on and finish it later. Start killing the enemy wave as soon as it starts leaving tower range so can clear it more effective. early levels don't let the mage get a crap ton of poke on you and just accept the fact your going ot lose some gold and when gets in tower take out the archers.
    Many of life's failures are people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up.
    Thomas A. Edison
    Join the Light Side to oppose the Evil Dark

Junior Member Cupidhead ARealPhoenix's Avatar
    Level completed: 84%, Points required for next Level: 84
    Achievements:
    3 months registered 500 Experience Points
    Quote Originally Posted by VarenWolf View Post
    Well mages are meant to push. They however are squishy so would recommend getting hog in that case and Pick up 2 tier to Stone of Gia then move on and finish it later. Start killing the enemy wave as soon as it starts leaving tower range so can clear it more effective. early levels don't let the mage get a crap ton of poke on you and just accept the fact your going ot lose some gold and when gets in tower take out the archers.
    Thanks for the advice. I wouldn't have thought of just getting the tier 2 stone of gaia. Would it be worth selling it later to get bulwark or pestilence instead? I feel that they would be more useful in the late stages of the game, since sustain becomes less important, I believe.

I also wouldn't have thought of just accepting that I should lose gold. Sometimes I would tank the wave before it got to the tower just to try and get all the gold. I guess that was a pretty terrible idea.

Another question - when I'm in solo should I ward immediately, or should I wait a little? I've been told to wait on the warding before, but then find myself getting ganked by the enemy Loki, although I guess he can just stealth past wards anyway.

Thanks for taking the time to make that post. It was very helpful
    Three Rings for the Elven-kings under the sky,
    Seven for the Dwarf-lords in their halls of stone,
    Nine for Mortal Men doomed to die,
    One for the Dark Lord on his dark throne
    In the Land of Mordor where the Shadows lie.
    One Ring to rule them all, One Ring to find them,
    One Ring to bring them all and in the darkness bind them
    In the Land of Mordor where the Shadows lie.