Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Let's Talk Anime

Hybrid View

Senior Member Infamous Disquieted1's Avatar
    Level completed: 22%, Points required for next Level: 1,092
    Achievements:
    3 months registered 10000 Experience Points Full Profile! Repped! Second Class Repped! Third Class

Let's Talk Anime

As you all (should) know, I'm pretty big into anime, so I thought I'd make a thread about it.

What better way to start with my favorite? Locodol! Why do I like it? Comedy, slice of life, upbeat, and most of all --

It's so moeeeeeeeeeeeee

But yeah. Weeaboo discussion, starto!
    Smite is an online multiplayer game. You can't have immediate gratification simply by starting the game. The ground is even. There's another player on the other side. You are not entitled to having everything favoring you at every time. If you don't like it, by all means, go back to the 1-shot-kills-all Aliens: Colonial Marines singleplayer.

Otaku Mod Infamous MiyobiKumagawa's Avatar
    Level completed: 71%, Points required for next Level: 818
    Achievements:
    Tagger Third Class 25000 Experience Points Arm of the Law! Discussion Ender Party Person
    Awards:
    Most Popular
    Look forward to the Overlord anime coming up also I hear Assassination Classroom is pretty good also.
    *Disclaimer: I am a volunteer moderator. I work on best judgement and do not speak on behalf of Hi-Rez Studios.*

Retired Super Moderator Prestigious KingScuba's Avatar
    Level completed: 28%, Points required for next Level: 1,748
    Achievements:
    Arm of the Law! Full Profile! Tagger First Class! Reputation Distributor Tagger Master Class
    Awards:
    Master Tagger
    Quote Originally Posted by MiyobiKumagawa View Post
    Look forward to the Overlord anime coming up also I hear Assassination Classroom is pretty good also.
    overlord has an anime??? Sweeeet. I was loving the 2 chapters that were translated. I wonder if re:monster will get an anime too?

I see it as cartoons have a "western" inspiration whereas anime is more "eastern" inspired. It's hard to explain.
    The difference is artistic tones... American cartoons have no overall style, where anime can generally be grouped into an overall archetype based on genre.
    Last edited by KingScuba; 01-22-2015 at 04:53 PM.
    Disclaimer: I am a volunteer moderator. I work on best judgement and do not speak on behalf of Hi-Rez Studios. Also I will not be able to contest your in-game ban.

Otaku Mod Infamous MiyobiKumagawa's Avatar
    Level completed: 71%, Points required for next Level: 818
    Achievements:
    Tagger Third Class 25000 Experience Points Arm of the Law! Discussion Ender Party Person
    Awards:
    Most Popular
    Quote Originally Posted by KingScuba View Post
    overlord has an anime??? Sweeeet. I was loving the 2 chapters that were translated. I wonder if re:monster will get an anime too?
    Re:Monster for some reason I see it more of it becoming a hentai with a story than an anime.

Overlord anime should be released around this summer. I'm awaiting for the 3rd volume to be translated, but most of the translators are afk at the moment and they have a single editor.
    *Disclaimer: I am a volunteer moderator. I work on best judgement and do not speak on behalf of Hi-Rez Studios.*

Banned Honoured ExtremelyCasual's Avatar
    Level completed: 66%, Points required for next Level: 242
    Achievements:
    3 months registered 1000 Experience Points Tagger Third Class Full Profile! Repped! Third Class
    I do old school anime myself.... DBZ, Yu Yu Hakasho, Gundam, Teen Titans, Avatar the last Airbender, Dragonball, Sailor Moon, Soul Eater...
    Idk. I'll rarely watch a new anime. A lot of them are too tacky for my tastes these days and just recycle the same concepts.

The unfortunate thing about being a writer and a heavy self-critic is that I do my best to try and be different from other source materials, so I heavily scrutinize other people's works to see if I can find trends that I've seen before. Unfortunately, a lot of anime these days follows the same, tired, boring clichés that just don't awe me like they used to. Rare formulae like the previously listed things that I still do watch, are some of the rare acceptations that I take into account.

Senior Member Prestigious Dmantakae's Avatar
    Level completed: 32%, Points required for next Level: 1,032
    Achievements:
    Tagger Third Class Repped! First Class 10000 Experience Points Full Profile! Arm of the Law!
    I was just thinking about creating a new anime thread after I reread the old one.

I just finished watching Magi, which was alright. And now I'm rewatching all of the Ghost in the Shell episodes.
    Ex-Smite forums Lead mod, currently Paladins forum lead mod

Goodbye Smite forums <3

Level completed: 24%, Points required for next Level: 688
    Achievements:
    1000 Experience Points Repped! Third Class 3 months registered
    I used to be really into anime, but I more or less grew out of it. Nowadays I might once in a very great while rewatch Evangelion, or try to catch up with the latest dubbed episodes of Naruto (Sorry, I just can't stand the original voices), although given I'm like 30 episodes behind clearly I haven't been paying attention. Also waiting on Dragon Ball Z Kai to finish up to the Buu Saga, and for Rebuild of Evangelion to be finished.

Senior Member Chosen Boatmurdered's Avatar
    Level completed: 6%, Points required for next Level: 1,232
    Achievements:
    Repped! First Class Veteran 10000 Experience Points
    Hmm. I liked old Dragon Ball, DBZ was good too, and was honestly one of the reasons I started martial arts as a very small child. Although I have yet to fly, or shoot energy attacks! I am a fan of the 3 eyed Tien from that show. He just strikes me as awesome.

Trigun, and Cowboy BB after being made to do so by someone I know, and they are good.

I think the very first Anime I watched on my own was Full Metal Alchemist. I had been traveling, and in the room I was staying in I had flipped on the tv, and decided to watch w/e was on before I went to bed. It was a 2 part special of the 1st 2 episodes of FMA, and I was hooked.

Avatar was good, but I heard the follow up wasn't so I steered clear of that one. Toph was my favorite in that one, and the Boulder of course.

I really like Gravity Falls an entirely large amount. It's funny, witty, and has tons of hidden jokes, and things in the background, and in what the characters say. Grunkle Stan is incredible, and what every old person should aspire to be, and it's refreshing to see a pair of siblings who actually get along most of the time, and really care for each other.

I watched another show, but I can never remember it's name. It reminded me of DBZ, and had a protagonist who had like a finger gun attack, or something. I remember watching a lot of it, and thinking it was amusing. It also had a blue haired angel of death on a broom I think?

I started watching Bleach, and at first it was pretty unique, and then it got very weird, and dumb very quickly, but I have this weird sort of loyalty to things, and so I have to see how it ends, and so every few months I try to see what's going on just hoping it's over so I can be done with it.

That's about it for me.
    Last edited by Boatmurdered; 01-22-2015 at 02:36 AM.
    I made this god idea tell me how bad it is, yo!
    http://forums.smitegame.com/showthre...ess-of-Disease

Finally I make mediocre youtube videos of me playing Smite...mostly of Vulcan.....cough
    http://www.youtube.com/user/MrNinjaBurger

Senior Member Infamous Disquieted1's Avatar
    Level completed: 22%, Points required for next Level: 1,092
    Achievements:
    3 months registered 10000 Experience Points Full Profile! Repped! Second Class Repped! Third Class
    Quote Originally Posted by Boatmurdered View Post
    Hmm. I liked old Dragon Ball, DBZ was good too, and was honestly one of the reasons I started martial arts as a very small child. Although I have yet to fly, or shoot energy attacks! I am a fan of the 3 eyed Tien from that show. He just strikes me as awesome.

Trigun, and Cowboy BB after being made to do so by someone I know, and they are good.

I think the very first Anime I watched on my own was Full Metal Alchemist. I had been traveling, and in the room I was staying in I had flipped on the tv, and decided to watch w/e was on before I went to bed. It was a 2 part special of the 1st 2 episodes of FMA, and I was hooked.

Avatar was good, but I heard the follow up wasn't so I steered clear of that one. Toph was my favorite in that one, and the Boulder of course.

I really like Gravity Falls an entirely large amount. It's funny, witty, and has tons of hidden jokes, and things in the background, and in what the characters say. Grunkle Stan is incredible, and what every old person should aspire to be, and it's refreshing to see a pair of siblings who actually get along most of the time, and really care for each other.

I watched another show, but I can never remember it's name. It reminded me of DBZ, and had a protagonist who had like a finger gun attack, or something. I remember watching a lot of it, and thinking it was amusing. It also had a blue haired angel of death on a broom I think?

I started watching Bleach, and at first it was pretty unique, and then it got very weird, and dumb very quickly, but I have this weird sort of loyalty to things, and so I have to see how it ends, and so every few months I try to see what's going on just hoping it's over so I can be done with it.

That's about it for me.
    I loved FMA. Brotherhood was the second series I watched, and I think that's the one that got me into it.

Quote Originally Posted by ExtremelyCasual View Post
    I do old school anime myself.... DBZ, Yu Yu Hakasho, Gundam, Teen Titans, Avatar the last Airbender, Dragonball, Sailor Moon, Soul Eater...
    Idk. I'll rarely watch a new anime. A lot of them are too tacky for my tastes these days and just recycle the same concepts.

The unfortunate thing about being a writer and a heavy self-critic is that I do my best to try and be different from other source materials, so I heavily scrutinize other people's works to see if I can find trends that I've seen before. Unfortunately, a lot of anime these days follows the same, tired, boring clichés that just don't awe me like they used to. Rare formulae like the previously listed things that I still do watch, are some of the rare acceptations that I take into account.
    I started with the older series (around 2000) and went up to more recent anime. I personally find the motifs to be quite funny and seeing something happen can remind me of a show I saw before.
    Last edited by Disquieted1; 01-22-2015 at 05:28 AM.
    Smite is an online multiplayer game. You can't have immediate gratification simply by starting the game. The ground is even. There's another player on the other side. You are not entitled to having everything favoring you at every time. If you don't like it, by all means, go back to the 1-shot-kills-all Aliens: Colonial Marines singleplayer.

Banned Honoured ExtremelyCasual's Avatar
    Level completed: 66%, Points required for next Level: 242
    Achievements:
    3 months registered 1000 Experience Points Tagger Third Class Full Profile! Repped! Third Class
    Quote Originally Posted by boatmurdered View Post
    i watched another show, but i can never remember it's name. It reminded me of dbz, and had a protagonist who had like a finger gun attack, or something. I remember watching a lot of it, and thinking it was amusing. It also had a blue haired angel of death on a broom i think?
    that was yu yu hakasho.
    TIL: Apollo stole his finger gun attacks from Yuskae.

Here's the first episode. This show was my shit.
    Last edited by ExtremelyCasual; 01-22-2015 at 06:02 AM.