Page 1 of 19 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast

Thread: This 'it's just arena' attitude.

Level completed: 71%, Points required for next Level: 262
    Achievements:
    100 Experience Points Repped! Third Class Veteran 5000 Experience Points

This 'it's just arena' attitude.

I don't understand it at all. I see people say 'it's just arena' as a fallacy for feeding, losing the game, surrendering, basically anything and everything negative.

First off, why would you play arena if you're even going to dis it? It doesn't make sense to me why people treat the game mode with no respect. It is a game mode just like Conquest, it requires team work and coordination to win. It may not be as strategic and stretched out like Conquest, but it certainly has its pros and cons just like any other game mode in SMITE.

Frankly, nothing annoys me more than that. As much as I want to associate the term with being toxic, on top of how they use that as an excuse for their poor gameplay, I just can't. Not without some insight from you guys, the fellow players what you think about this.

Otaku Mod Infamous MiyobiKumagawa's Avatar
    Level completed: 71%, Points required for next Level: 818
    Achievements:
    Tagger Third Class 25000 Experience Points Arm of the Law! Discussion Ender Party Person
    Awards:
    Most Popular
    Well technically I would go "it's just casual" attitude on my part since it generally is a game mode that players "would" like to have fun in. I don't know what to expect since I 99% play Conquest so that attitude is a lot of times seen in randoms.

The attitude is everywhere so usually play with what you have and hope for a strong counter mid/late game. For the negativity I don't suppose taking a break is an option? You can't fix people. It's impossible.
    Last edited by MiyobiKumagawa; 01-07-2015 at 06:27 PM.
    *Disclaimer: I am a volunteer moderator. I work on best judgement and do not speak on behalf of Hi-Rez Studios.*

Senior Member Honoured Ramenyolo's Avatar
    Level completed: 6%, Points required for next Level: 755
    Achievements:
    1000 Experience Points 1 year registered
    Really sucks not having a tank in arena cause everyone wants to have "kills".

Senior Member Infamous Disquieted1's Avatar
    Level completed: 22%, Points required for next Level: 1,092
    Achievements:
    3 months registered 10000 Experience Points Full Profile! Repped! Second Class Repped! Third Class
    Considering how Smite is designed and balanced around Conquest, it really is just Arena, just Assault, just Siege.

I ought to check the profiles of those that complain about a god being OP. 9 times out of 10 they should be Arena mains.
    Smite is an online multiplayer game. You can't have immediate gratification simply by starting the game. The ground is even. There's another player on the other side. You are not entitled to having everything favoring you at every time. If you don't like it, by all means, go back to the 1-shot-kills-all Aliens: Colonial Marines singleplayer.

Level completed: 71%, Points required for next Level: 265
    Achievements:
    1 year registered Repped! Second Class 5000 Experience Points
    I usually take an "it's just a game" attitude. Because that's what it is. I play to have fun, if I'm being completely serious, I'm not having fun.

It's one of the reasons I don't play ranked/won't play ranked.

Member Worshipper philosofaptor's Avatar
    Level completed: 42%, Points required for next Level: 407
    Achievements:
    Tagger Third Class 3 months registered 1000 Experience Points Repped! Third Class
    Quote Originally Posted by Huntchez View Post
    I don't understand it at all. I see people say 'it's just arena' as a fallacy for feeding, losing the game, surrendering, basically anything and everything negative.

First off, why would you play arena if you're even going to dis it? It doesn't make sense to me why people treat the game mode with no respect. It is a game mode just like Conquest, it requires team work and coordination to win. It may not be as strategic and stretched out like Conquest, but it certainly has its pros and cons just like any other game mode in SMITE.

Frankly, nothing annoys me more than that. As much as I want to associate the term with being toxic, on top of how they use that as an excuse for their poor gameplay, I just can't. Not without some insight from you guys, the fellow players what you think about this.
    You can try to make suggestions to help, or just mute everyone and go solo. If there is someone I want to play as in Arena, I instalock, if not I'm usually last so I can fill the role hole (usually some kind of support).

I have over 200 hours in Arena, it's easily my favorite mode, and the biggest advantage it has over anything else is the time it takes and the faster pace. It's rare that the game goes over 20 minutes (vs Conquest which seems to routinely aim for an hour+), but since nearly every fight is a team fight a shitty team means it's over even faster - though it's not fun to lose it's better than spending 3x that long in Conquest to lose

EDIT: and people are often just as terrible at knowing when the match is hopeless, sometimes they want to quit early sometimes they refuse even when it's hopeless, sometimes they vote to quit in the last like 20 seconds which is pointless (I will F7 even a hopeless game if we have like 10 points left and are losing).
    Last edited by philosofaptor; 01-07-2015 at 07:22 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by GeneralTeknik View Post
    You guys could at least show a shred of empathy and try to address some of these unsatisfied players' issues every now and then.

Their complaints aren't hurting the game or the community. However, a lot of the trolling you guys do around here more than hurts Smite's development, community, rep and chances of further success.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bane1778 View Post
    People are also infinitely more toxic in Conquest. Conquest is so terrible that unless you have a full premade team, it's gonna suck.

Banned Honoured ExtremelyCasual's Avatar
    Level completed: 66%, Points required for next Level: 242
    Achievements:
    3 months registered 1000 Experience Points Tagger Third Class Full Profile! Repped! Third Class
    Quote Originally Posted by Ramenyolo View Post
    ...As someone who has seen so many of these groups without a tank...like...RECENTLY, too...

If you don't have a tank in ANY GAME MODE, you will VERY LIKELY NOT HAVE A GOOD TIME.

@OP: This is why there's a petition to bring back Arena League.
    ....Hi-Rez pls.

Level completed: 24%, Points required for next Level: 688
    Achievements:
    1000 Experience Points Repped! Third Class 3 months registered
    It's actually the opposite mentality that bugs me more. Even in Assault you have people complaining about teammates constantly. I actually just had a game of Assault where I played Ymir, and one of my teammates complained I didn't ever tank, even in the after match lobby where even the other team was telling him to stuff it because they knew firsthand I did play him correctly and was constantly in people's faces.

In these game modes you don't need to constantly play the blame game and put your teammates down over and over again in them. I'd argue you shouldn't do that in casual conquest either, but I imagine people are going to disagree with me there.

Also, I'm a little sick of Never-my-fault players constantly bagging on their team every match, acting as though they do everything absolutely perfect and are simply being let down by their team. Especially in the "for fun" game modes.

Quote Originally Posted by Disquieted1 View Post
    Considering how Smite is designed and balanced around Conquest, it really is just Arena, just Assault, just Siege.

I ought to check the profiles of those that complain about a god being OP. 9 times out of 10 they should be Arena mains.
    I'd argue Siege is kind of an exception as it's arguably almost as balanced as conquest, but the characters places on the tiers move around a bit and nobody has a proper tier list for Siege. For example Fenrir is a little more viable in Siege than in Conquest.

Quote Originally Posted by ExtremelyCasual View Post
    ...As someone who has seen so many of these groups without a tank...like...RECENTLY, too...

If you don't have a tank in ANY GAME MODE, you will VERY LIKELY NOT HAVE A GOOD TIME.

@OP: This is why there's a petition to bring back Arena League.
    ....Hi-Rez pls.
    Not 1 v 1's or some match of the day games.

I'd argue Arena isn't really in a good spot for league matches. Then again I barely play the game mode other than to get my first win, so what do I know?

Junior Member Cupidhead Ardevall's Avatar
    Level completed: 52%, Points required for next Level: 241
    Achievements:
    3 months registered 500 Experience Points
    Quote Originally Posted by Ramenyolo View Post
    There's a solution to that: Ares.

Banned Honoured ExtremelyCasual's Avatar
    Level completed: 66%, Points required for next Level: 242
    Achievements:
    3 months registered 1000 Experience Points Tagger Third Class Full Profile! Repped! Third Class
    Step 1: Get Geb
    Step 2: After camp clear, rollout behind enemy line. They'll be facing the other way.
    Step 3: Slam into a mofo and send them flying into your eagerly awaiting team.
    Step 4: Profit

Geb harasses in Arena like no other. Build that sucka up full tank and just roll around on their side of the map. Watch them try and murder you and your friends whilst ignoring the minions. Long live the king of tanks.