Thread: Matches should not start with 4 people or a disconnect

Senior Member Prestigious McKnightrider's Avatar
    Level completed: 15%, Points required for next Level: 1,368
    Achievements:
    1 year registered Repped! Second Class Repped! Third Class 25000 Experience Points Party Person

Matches should not start with 4 people or a disconnect

It makes recovery almost impossible and gives one team a huge advantage. Everyone loads in and you get a disconnect or one person never loaded in period. Whether intentional or not it happens. Now you have one extra person unaccounted for wreaking havoc. If that person does come back? They're level 1 and are of no help when everyone else is level 5-10+. If someone doesn't load in or gets disconnected before the game starts the clock should be suspended or have the option to suspend the match clock before the game starts. Wait to see if they come back. Maybe give it 5 minutes, if no one returns by then the match should be a no contest and should end. No one really enjoys 4v5 to start a match, not even the other team. I've said this before when its under 10 minutes and you get disconnects you should be allowed to surrender early but if you get a disconnect before the game even starts?! There shouldn't even be a match.

Forum Moderator Infamous SeventhArchon's Avatar
    Level completed: 81%, Points required for next Level: 662
    Achievements:
    Repped! First Class Repped! Second Class Party Person Tagger Third Class Full Profile!
    Quote Originally Posted by Trubblegum View Post
    Yes, lets just make everyone sit there for 30 minutes in the loading screen while waiting for Mr. dick-sconnect who DCs every time he enters a loading screen just for the funsies.
    If it's a ranked match it should be cancelled altogether.
    *Disclaimer: I am a volunteer moderator. I work on best judgement and do not speak on behalf of Hi-Rez Studios.*
    wtb new signature

Forum Moderator Infamous SeventhArchon's Avatar
    Level completed: 81%, Points required for next Level: 662
    Achievements:
    Repped! First Class Repped! Second Class Party Person Tagger Third Class Full Profile!
    Quote Originally Posted by Trubblegum View Post
    Agreed.
    But in a match where mod snip likes to DC in the loading screen, and never come back, everybody will be stuck in the screen FOREVER.
    It already adds a minute or two onto the load time if someone isn't loading in, but perpetuality is not something to be toyed with.
    Nah, that shouldn't happen. Casual is fine, maybe with a vote on canceling the match as the queue time is short as it is.
    Last edited by KingScuba; 01-07-2015 at 04:59 PM.
    *Disclaimer: I am a volunteer moderator. I work on best judgement and do not speak on behalf of Hi-Rez Studios.*
    wtb new signature

Level completed: 77%, Points required for next Level: 161
    Achievements:
    Full Profile! Repped! Third Class 1000 Experience Points 1 year registered
    Or maybe you should be able to queue in progress, so when someone dc's in the loading screen you get someone else who queued solo. Obviously this should only apply to dc's in the loading screen, not after the minions have already spawned ofcourse.

Achievements:
    1 year registered Repped! Second Class Repped! Third Class 25000 Experience Points Party Person
    -MOD SNIP-

No...I'm saying if someone disconnects in the loading screen and you load into the game with 4v5 OR all 5 load in and someone disconnects before the 1:30 second game clock goes off you should suspend that timer and give the DC'er 5 minutes to load in or reconnect. If they don't instead of starting a match 4v5 you get a no contest and the match never starts. I'm not talking about the 1 minute god pick countdown. I'm talking about the 1:30 (or is it 2 minutes?) countdown to where minions spawn and the game actually starts. As it so happens if someone DC's while picking the gods the match actually IS cancelled. If someone DC during the loading screen you get the 4v5 scenario I mentioned.
    That scenario you give is a perfect example of why the match shouldn't start. If someone is trolling and DC while loading you get 4v5 before the match starts. YOU might win a 4v5 if its half way through the game, but 99% of the time not at the start. So after everyone loads in, instead of starting the match it should be suspended until everyone is in or it shouldn't start.
    Last edited by KingScuba; 01-07-2015 at 04:59 PM.

Retired Super Moderator Prestigious KingScuba's Avatar
    Level completed: 28%, Points required for next Level: 1,748
    Achievements:
    Arm of the Law! Full Profile! Tagger First Class! Reputation Distributor Tagger Master Class
    Awards:
    Master Tagger
    scrubbed and cleaned. Please continue.
    Last edited by KingScuba; 01-07-2015 at 05:13 PM.
    Disclaimer: I am a volunteer moderator. I work on best judgement and do not speak on behalf of Hi-Rez Studios. Also I will not be able to contest your in-game ban.

Achievements:
    This still seems the most reoccurring problem with game quality. You're always going to have disconnecters. There's not much in place aside from deserter penalties to stop this, however; you can fix the problem before it starts. you have 1:30 seconds before matches officially start. The other day I had a match start with 3 people on the other side...why? I also had matches where players on the other team DC before minions spawned. No one was happy, no one on my team, no one on the other team. Everyone was just hoping they would surrender early to be done with it. Game matches don't start if someone doesn't queue up, game matches don't start if someone doesn't choose a god or DC's during this process. So why do games start during the set up before the match when 1 or more people don't load in or you get a DC immediately. I say 75% of the time i'll get a DC to start matches. You don't have to cancel the match immediately, give a buffer to see if they come back, if they don't, THEN cancel the match.
    I don't play league play, but I would surmise that the last thing someone wants is to start an important match 4v5, neither do casual players.

Level completed: 94%, Points required for next Level: 34
    Achievements:
    3 months registered Repped! Third Class 500 Experience Points
    I have to agree, although It can be done on occasion it is very rare to win a match 4v5.

The matches that start where players haven't even made it past the loading screen are even worse as you haven't even got the hope that the DCer will return because they are not even in the game. Those kind of matches should be instantly scrapped, all they would need to do is implement some code that checks the amount of players in game when the match starts. Being kept for 10 minutes in a game you are destined to lose is no fun for anyone.

I'd also like to see something done for returning DCers too. In game modes like arena I think if someone DCs for a significant amount of time they just don't bother coming back because they know they are going to be levels and items below everyone else and will usually just end up feeding and being focused by the enemy team. I think DCers should return with the same amount of gold and level as the lowest of your group.