Thread: BSOD on smite update

Junior Member Senior Cupidhead thandolus's Avatar
    Level completed: 51%, Points required for next Level: 344
    Achievements:
    1 year registered 1000 Experience Points

BSOD on smite update

I have been trying to convince my friend to play smite for a month now. He finally decided to and downloaded the client and installed it. When he runs the launcher to update the client his machine blue screens every single time. He has tried uninstalling and re-installing the client three times already and the problem persists.

Are there any log files generated or anything that could assist in troubleshooting the problem/bug? He has a very high end machine on google fiber so speed/system requirements are most assuredly not the issue unless too much of a good thing is a bad thing.

Senior Member Chosen JesusHatesYou's Avatar
    Level completed: 67%, Points required for next Level: 433
    Achievements:
    10000 Experience Points Conversation Starter Reputation Distributor Tagger First Class! Tagger Master Class
    Give this a read through. There are tools that will help you find out what exactly is causing the BSOD.
    #HailSatan

Member Worshipper
    Level completed: 20%, Points required for next Level: 565
    Achievements:
    1000 Experience Points Repped! Third Class 1 year registered
    The most common cause of a BSOD is overheating (guess you can call that too much of a good thing :P), it is far from the only occurrence of BSOD though. next time write down the error code on the BSOD and once the machine is restarted or on a different machine try google that code. Also you can go rightclick my computer and then administer, and int aht window you get look for windows logs and see if those can give you a clue, most likely the system logs under it would be best place to start, see if there any recent error logs there

Achievements:
    Just to update this thread so it doesnt look like I ignored you guys. My friend moved and does not have internet at his new place as of yet. I am 99.99999% certain it is not overheating as his machine can run gw2 on ultra for hours on end with no heating issues. That actually will over heat my gpu in a matter of minutes.

It is also the updater that is running when the bsod hits so unless its overheating the CPU attempting to download (doesnt seem like it should be CPU intensive) I doubt that is the issue. Ill post an update after wednesday when he gets a chance to get everything hooked up at the new place. Thanks for offering information. I passed the link his way. Hopefully I will know more soon.

Achievements:
    10000 Experience Points Conversation Starter Reputation Distributor Tagger First Class! Tagger Master Class
    Quote Originally Posted by thandolus View Post
    Just to update this thread so it doesnt look like I ignored you guys. My friend moved and does not have internet at his new place as of yet. I am 99.99999% certain it is not overheating as his machine can run gw2 on ultra for hours on end with no heating issues. That actually will over heat my gpu in a matter of minutes.

It is also the updater that is running when the bsod hits so unless its overheating the CPU attempting to download (doesnt seem like it should be CPU intensive) I doubt that is the issue. Ill post an update after wednesday when he gets a chance to get everything hooked up at the new place. Thanks for offering information. I passed the link his way. Hopefully I will know more soon.
    Thanks for updating, if, as you say, its crashing while launching, its extremely unlikely that it's an issue with temperature. Try and get that log of what went wrong and we'll see if we can figure it out.
    #HailSatan

Level completed: 95%, Points required for next Level: 46
    Achievements:
    1000 Experience Points Tagger Third Class Repped! Third Class 1 year registered
    My best guess here is that there may be some corrupt sectors on the HDD or dlls in the OS.

Open an administrative command prompt and try both
    Code:
    chkdsk /f
    and
    Code:
    sfc /scannow

Achievements:
    So the problem seems to have resolved itself after the move apparently. Whatever the cause was it was not caused by the actual game client but likely some sort of hardware problem that was exposed by running the update. *shrugs*

At least its working now. I appreciate your efforts on his behalf regardless.

Achievements:
    Quote Originally Posted by thandolus View Post
    So the problem seems to have resolved itself after the move apparently. Whatever the cause was it was not caused by the actual game client but likely some sort of hardware problem that was exposed by running the update. *shrugs*

At least its working now. I appreciate your efforts on his behalf regardless.
    lol, I guess thats a good thing.
    #HailSatan