Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 LastLast
Results 51 to 60 of 61

Thread: Off Topic thread in Discussions

  1. #51
    Senior Member Honoured Darkcrusader's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Location
    Where you live
    Posts
    958
    8
    Level completed: 88%, Points required for next Level: 137
    Achievements:
    Full Profile! Tagger First Class! Tagger Master Class Repped! Third Class 5000 Experience Points
    Rep Power
    6
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaostic View Post
    It's not a question around permissions. It's a question about what's best for the forums. I can pretty much guarantee a chat won't be implemented because:
    • It's something that needs to have moderators present 24/7 in real-time.
    • Detracts from the forum itself
    • Again, makes having a forum somewhat pointless.
    I don't think a chat would need to have the moderators present 24/7,even if someone is harassing or doing other unwanted stuff,there are automatically bans from chats and yeah I know that could be either exploited or make more problems.
    Isn't the point of a forum talking about stuff?It wouldn't necessarily detract from it,although there would be less threads created and there aren't many per day normally,the chat would still be a part of the forum.
    I'm not pro forum but I'm also not against it.I don't have experience in forums and I wouldn't know what's best for the smite forums,but I do belive there's a big problem that people prefer to use reddit over these forums.

  2. #52
    Senior Member Infamous Myrkulyte's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Location
    Romania
    Posts
    7,083
    20
    Level completed: 67%, Points required for next Level: 540
    Achievements:
    10000 Experience Points Full Profile! Party Person Repped! First Class 1 year registered
    Rep Power
    17
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaostic View Post
    It's not a question around permissions. It's a question about what's best for the forums. I can pretty much guarantee a chat won't be implemented because:
    • It's something that needs to have moderators present 24/7 in real-time.
    • Detracts from the forum itself
    • Again, makes having a forum somewhat pointless.
    Tribal wars had a chat on their forums. They removed it because *the community wasn't mature enought*. But I guess we could give it a try, with so many mods...

  3. #53
    FACEIT Prestigious Kaostic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    London, UK
    Posts
    3,303
    42
    Level completed: 72%, Points required for next Level: 1,222
    Achievements:
    Tagger Third Class Reputation Distributor Repped! First Class Arm of the Law! Discussion Ender
    Rep Power
    50
    As I said, I honestly do not see a chat function being added to these forums. I may be proven wrong, but you know my thoughts.
    Community Coordinator for FACEIT | @Kaostic

  4. #54
    Otaku Mod Infamous MiyobiKumagawa's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Location
    Somewhere, Nowhere
    Posts
    8,400
    31
    Level completed: 71%, Points required for next Level: 818
    Achievements:
    Tagger Third Class 25000 Experience Points Arm of the Law! Discussion Ender Party Person
    Awards:
    Most Popular
    Rep Power
    50
    Quote Originally Posted by Myrkulyte View Post
    Tribal wars had a chat on their forums. They removed it because *the community wasn't mature enought*. But I guess we could give it a try, with so many mods...
    With some forumers here I won't take that chance to even have a chat function.
    *Disclaimer: I am a volunteer moderator. I work on best judgement and do not speak on behalf of Hi-Rez Studios.*


  5. #55
    Senior Member Prestigious DonaldX's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Posts
    3,285
    14
    Level completed: 95%, Points required for next Level: 67
    Achievements:
    Repped! First Class Conversation Starter Tagger Second Class Reputation Distributor 10000 Experience Points
    Rep Power
    15
    Quote Originally Posted by Mouhappai View Post
    Then do it in the off-topic forum. This is called "Smite Discussion" for a reason, we discuss about the game here. Picture spamming can go in the off-topic forum, it's not like anyone is getting banned or the thread closed because of it. Everyone is still free to express their thread derailing tendencies over there. In fact I was the one (perhaps not the only one) who PMed Dmantakae to have the thread moved, he was reluctant but he did the right thing. As a former moderator on a Guild Wars forum, things like these are an eyesore especially when it's happening in the official forums of my favourite game and I would really like it to look proper and respectable to newcomers who are just coming into the game. When they click on Smite Discussion, they should see exactly that, not picture spam threads.
    I can see your point, but my reasoning is:
    The off topic thread had a positive effect because the derailing went down on other threads.
    I would be happy having it in Off Topic if this forum could actually support and off topic subsection, not a dead one with 10 views.
    I still dont see how one thread, one single thread dedicated to casual talking and having fun would harm the image of the Smite forums.
    Does a new comer come here, sees that one thread where everyone is having fun and says "This is not a serious forum " ?
    Really wouldnt you prefer having one thread where the derailing is focused and all the other serious threads being left to serious discussion ?

    Quote Originally Posted by Mouhappai View Post
    What say we merge the sub-forums then? To be honest I feel there are a few sub-forums here that seem quite unnecessary. Guides and Strategy and Gameplay Advice can be merged, General Feedback with Smite Discussion, remove Off-topic and rename it Casual Discussion or General Chat and put it higher on the forum list.
    ^this. I fully agree with this and Alex.

    Quote Originally Posted by AlexError View Post
    I keep pushing for a reshuffling and a reorganisation of the forums, by removing unused subforums, and moving important subforums to the top - alas, to no avail. I firmly believe that doing so will solve most of the issues that a lot of people have. We increase activity, help moderation and make the forum a more pleasant place to be. I just need some support right now.
    Even if i dont get what i want i hope this threads helps bring some support to this other idea.

    A few sub forums with activity > A ton of sub forums with 10 views each

    Edit: I dont think a chat box would be a good idea.
    We have that clan chat in Smite and its a confusing mess when more than 10 people are online.
    Plus it can easily be abused and stuff.
    Last edited by DonaldX; 12-29-2014 at 07:31 AM.

  6. #56
    Member Worshipper Mouhappai's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    燈火闌珊處
    Posts
    287
    6
    Level completed: 88%, Points required for next Level: 110
    Achievements:
    1000 Experience Points Veteran
    Rep Power
    7
    Quote Originally Posted by DonaldX View Post
    I can see your point, but my reasoning is:
    The off topic thread had a positive effect because the derailing went down on other threads.
    I would be happy having it in Off Topic if this forum could actually support and off topic subsection, not a dead one with 10 views.
    I still dont see how one thread, one single thread dedicated to casual talking and having fun would harm the image of the Smite forums.
    Does a new comer come here, sees that one thread where everyone is having fun and says "This is not a serious forum " ?
    Really wouldnt you prefer having one thread where the derailing is focused and all the other serious threads being left to serious discussion ?
    You may call it the having fun thread, but in essence it's nothing more than a spam thread that is totally unrelated to the game. This should be enough reason for it not to belong in the Smite Discussion. But that doesn't mean people can't have fun here either; there can still be fun threads that are related to the game, such as the screenshot thread as suggested by FriedGerry. Fun threads that don't relate to the game simply belong elsewhere.

    If threads were getting derailed so bad then the fault probably lies in the moderating team, aren't they here specifically to prevent that? I know moderators can't be online 24/7, but if they could have been more objective with their job, issuing warnings and punishment for repeated offenders, things like this can be prevented without resorting to making... a spam thread. How is making a spam thread the answer to excessive thread derailment anyway? With that thread or no, trolls will be trolls and threads will be derailed regardless. To be frank, I didn't witness too much of threads getting derailed ever since the spam thread was moved.

  7. #57
    Senior Member Chosen Killgunner10's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Location
    Stealing your buff camps
    Posts
    1,801
    9
    Level completed: 63%, Points required for next Level: 412
    Achievements:
    Full Profile! Repped! Third Class Repped! First Class 5000 Experience Points Veteran
    Rep Power
    10
    Instead of moving our thread from off topic to general discussion, why don't we move the off topic section a little bit higher in the list? Maybe this way it can get noticed a little more. Just a thought.
    Ao Kuang is love, Ao Kuang is life.

    A Pirate's Life For Me!

    Legendary OOTT member Of The Official Off-topic Section

    1000th Reply : Killgunner10

    Never Forget What Was Lost. Remember The Old Official Off-topic thread!

  8. #58
    Senior Member Prestigious DonaldX's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Posts
    3,285
    14
    Level completed: 95%, Points required for next Level: 67
    Achievements:
    Repped! First Class Conversation Starter Tagger Second Class Reputation Distributor 10000 Experience Points
    Rep Power
    15
    Quote Originally Posted by Mouhappai View Post
    You may call it the having fun thread, but in essence it's nothing more than a spam thread that is totally unrelated to the game. This should be enough reason for it not to belong in the Smite Discussion. But that doesn't mean people can't have fun here either; there can still be fun threads that are related to the game, such as the screenshot thread as suggested by FriedGerry. Fun threads that don't relate to the game simply belong elsewhere.

    If threads were getting derailed so bad then the fault probably lies in the moderating team, aren't they here specifically to prevent that? I know moderators can't be online 24/7, but if they could have been more objective with their job, issuing warnings and punishment for repeated offenders, things like this can be prevented without resorting to making... a spam thread. How is making a spam thread the answer to excessive thread derailment anyway? With that thread or no, trolls will be trolls and threads will be derailed regardless. To be frank, I didn't witness too much of threads getting derailed ever since the spam thread was moved.
    I am calling it a fun thread because guess what...the people who participated actually had fun. For some reason that bothers you
    If your idea of "fun" is posting smite screenshots then okay, everyone is different. Personally I enjoy talking to the forum members and messing around with them more than watching close ups of Bacchus.
    Unfortunately i cant do that in a subforum with 10 views. Moving it up a little bit seems like a good idea.
    You think it shouldnt belong in Discussions, fine your opinion.

    You didnt answer me tho, what harm does one thread about people casually talking bring to the Discussions ?
    Apart from breaking this oh-so-important rule that everything must be in the right section at all times.
    Does it ruin the forums image ? Because im pretty sure the rumour that HiRez never comes to the forums is more harmful then a "spam thread" which is mostly made of people talking about their life or a certain topic.

  9. #59
    Member Worshipper Mouhappai's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    燈火闌珊處
    Posts
    287
    6
    Level completed: 88%, Points required for next Level: 110
    Achievements:
    1000 Experience Points Veteran
    Rep Power
    7
    There's also no harm in smoking in a non-smoking district, but there's a thing called being considerate. Apart from breaking the forum code of conduct, not everyone likes having off-topic chatter in a sub-forum about Smite. The moderating team can choose to allow it, and how newcomers would look at this place is their own. But it's going to spread because rules are lax around here anyway. Would this be fair to those who abide by the rules and post their non Smite related topics on the off-topic discussion? NOPE

    I have seen the "having fun thread" on several occasions, every time I saw pages full of picture spam, little off-topic chatter about how much you love each other, and hardly anything about life or a certain topic.

  10. #60
    Senior Member Infamous Disquieted1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Location
    I found my loli sidekick
    Posts
    5,492
    16
    Level completed: 22%, Points required for next Level: 1,092
    Achievements:
    3 months registered 10000 Experience Points Full Profile! Repped! Second Class Repped! Third Class
    Rep Power
    13
    Quote Originally Posted by Mouhappai View Post
    There's also no harm in smoking in a non-smoking district
    There are healthy people that kick you out

    like this



    ---

    In the same way, there are people that don't like the off topic thread in Smite discussion. I can understand that, but then we should get the Off Topic section some more attention.
    Smite is an online multiplayer game. You can't have immediate gratification simply by starting the game. The ground is even. There's another player on the other side. You are not entitled to having everything favoring you at every time. If you don't like it, by all means, go back to the 1-shot-kills-all Aliens: Colonial Marines singleplayer.

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •