Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Pre-Lobby Role Indication

Junior Member Senior Cupidhead JakeHawke's Avatar
    Level completed: 74%, Points required for next Level: 187
    Achievements:
    1 year registered 1000 Experience Points

Pre-Lobby Role Indication

Howdy,

One of the things in Smite that seems to cause much annoyance, hurt feelings, and team-disintegration is the manic typing of roles in lobby-chat. There's invariably arguments, auto-locking, and disappointment.

Please institute some sort of role-choice before the lobby, probably at the point where you are entering the play-queue.

Off the top of my head, maybe select the top 3 roles that you'd like to play in order of preference. The game would then randomly select one of the folks who had, say, Support as their number 1 choice for that role (support always being hotly contested :P), then the ones who didn't get selected for that would be put into the random-pool for their 2nd choice, etc... Something like that, maybe. Just off the cuff.

However you do it, I feel that it really needs to be done. So many games are doomed from the outset by jerks auto-locking, or people arguing with each other, and the stress of trying to get your choice in, etc.

This would really lessen the annoyance-level of getting into games, and might go some way towards tamping down the toxic level of brats in Smite right now. :/

Thanks for a great game,
    Jake

Senior Member Infamous Disquieted1's Avatar
    Level completed: 22%, Points required for next Level: 1,092
    Achievements:
    3 months registered 10000 Experience Points Full Profile! Repped! Second Class Repped! Third Class
    Hey Jake!

This has been suggested before. It's a great idea, but remembering matchmaking's current state it's not possible for a long while.

I think the best you can do is to adapt to the team. If someone really wants a role, give it to them. If they instalock, work around it. And be friendly about it. It's worked for me many times.

Cheers

Junior Member Senior Cupidhead JakeHawke's Avatar
    Level completed: 74%, Points required for next Level: 187
    Achievements:
    1 year registered 1000 Experience Points
    What do you mean by "matchmaking's current state"?

Level completed: 30%, Points required for next Level: 780
    Achievements:
    Full Profile! Tagger Third Class 1 year registered Repped! First Class 5000 Experience Points
    Other than straight up coping lol's system, and I am not suggesting that changing to that would solve anything. There is not much the developers can do about this since it is an issue with the players and not the game.

Also, with this model, it would solidify the meta. So that it will be much harder to try different configuration.

Senior Member Chosen Konfuzfanten's Avatar
    Level completed: 97%, Points required for next Level: 34
    Achievements:
    1000 Experience Points Repped! Third Class 1 year registered
    Quote Originally Posted by JakeHawke View Post
    Off the top of my head, maybe select the top 3 roles that you'd like to play in order of preference. The game would then randomly select one of the folks who had, say, Support as their number 1 choice for that role (support always being hotly contested :P), then the ones who didn't get selected for that would be put into the random-pool for their 2nd choice, etc... Something like that, maybe. Just off the cuff.
    The "problem" with this is that the junlger/solo/mid callers, which make up maybe 80-90% of the population would then have to wait longer, while adc/support players like myself would have an even easier time.
    Thats more or less it. So yes, just implement it and let the junlger/solo/mid learn to play other roles.

Forum Moderator Infamous SeventhArchon's Avatar
    Level completed: 81%, Points required for next Level: 662
    Achievements:
    Repped! First Class Repped! Second Class Party Person Tagger Third Class Full Profile!
    I support a role calling system other than who presses Enter fastest, but for the time being:
    1. Learn to play all 5 roles
    2. Profit.
    *Disclaimer: I am a volunteer moderator. I work on best judgement and do not speak on behalf of Hi-Rez Studios.*
    wtb new signature

Level completed: 71%, Points required for next Level: 265
    Achievements:
    1 year registered Repped! Second Class 5000 Experience Points
    I'm usually the guy calling support since I just love being that tank that goes in a messes up the enemy plan, making the enemy damage dealers run away from me while their front line is getting destroyed.

One of the friends I play with only plays jungle or mid, sometimes solo. If a system like this was implemented, I would probably instantly find games while he would end up waiting longer than queue's are currently. While I do believe it would be a minority, such a system would open the way for people to queue as support to get a game quickly and then refuse to play it once they get in god select.

Level completed: 72%, Points required for next Level: 1,222
    Achievements:
    Tagger Third Class Reputation Distributor Repped! First Class Arm of the Law! Discussion Ender
    I've moved this to General Feedback.
    Community Coordinator for FACEIT | @Kaostic

Level completed: 64%, Points required for next Level: 144
    Achievements:
    3 months registered 250 Experience Points
    Honestly, I no longer bother stressing over this. Stupid people are stupid. They are going to insta-lock, not call out the role/lane because they expect that just by insta-locking that God, everyone else should understand what they want to play.

I"ll choose my God, but not lock it in, then I'll call out what I want to do ingame.. like Mid. Or if I've queued in with a friend, I'll say something like "Duo Lane with SoandSo". And then I'll sit and wait to see what other Gods are chosen, who calls out what, and what the team setup is going to be. Probably 80% of the time, I don't get what I called out, because of an insta-locker or because the team make-up is just asking for a beating. So, I'll change.

But, the most annoying thing is that, no matter how you try to be fluid during team setup and work with everyone, there is still that one idiot that insta-locked and/or didn't bother to call out their role, that goes to the wrong lane..... and then just keeps playing even though it's evident that a God is missing in one of the lanes. Many times I will just return to the lobby, if talking to them doesn't get the situation straightened out.

Screw being a Deserter. I don't care about lost of worshipers or having to wait for 5 minutes. If a team can't get organized properly before the game starts, chances are they aren't going to do well IN the game.

New Member Cupidhead hockeymonkey87's Avatar
    Level completed: 5%, Points required for next Level: 382
    the whole role calling thing really only orks if all five people on the team are on board. since the odd run low on that happening I generally don't worry but then again conquest makes me hate the game.