Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: A counter to crits

Level completed: 52%, Points required for next Level: 681
    Achievements:
    1 year registered 10000 Experience Points Repped! Second Class Full Profile! Conversation Starter

A counter to crits

Right now most of the game's many balance problems I see stem from crits. Being able to 2 shot people is not uncommon and Mercury can easily do a crit over 1000. Considering a full tank build I use on Bacchus, my health at level 20+full build is around 4000. With protections maxed out, I still take considerable damage from adc's and assassins. Mostly Kali because of her excessive power (not going to get into her, you'll hear a mouthful in the god feedback section when I do a large thread).

Now, I realize a global nerf to crits simply won't do. For some gods it's next to necessary to use them, but I still find them far too powerful in comparison to most other methods. Instead, I have 2 ideas for items that can counteract them.

1. A massive buff to Hide of The Nemean Lion

This item is the only item I ever have seen that gives a direct counter to basic attacks. It's the only way I can even come close to countering criticals. However, it's a terrible item. 20% is no where near enough to counteract lifesteal that most crit gods build (Loki and Mercury notwithstanding. My suggestion is making 40% of the damage reflected and to up its physical protection. As a result, make its final tier more expensive.

2. This item idea

I'm not going to name a price or name. I'll leave that up to everyone else.

20 Physical Protection

Passive - 60% of critical hit damage is mitigated

This way crit characters will still do damage, but not as much in volume. This will be an expensive item, for sure.

I'm not whining about crits being broken (I'm a diamond artemis and usually play some sort of adc) but in comparison to mages' damaging and physical power, crits come out on top. The biggest problem is that these gods who use crits don't rely on mana. You can just basic attack and can let out heaps of damage in no time flat.

The fact that an everyday ADC can dish out 3000 damage in just a couple seconds is crazy, and having no counters is even crazier.

Feedback welcome, of course.

Level completed: 75%, Points required for next Level: 101
    Achievements:
    3 months registered 250 Experience Points
    I honestly think they should nerf the crit items themselves. I would wlecome a dramatic price drop in the entire crit tree, if there was also a dramativ power drop to said items. Critical hit items should NEVER give large sums of damage. The choice should be, do i want flat damage? or crit chance? not the best of both worlds. This is one factor that I think Hirez has gotten way wrong. Deathbringer is already a staple for people running crit builds annd reducing the power gains from crit items will not change that. In fact it will also make it so the choice between deathbringer and malice is actually a choice. The DoT malice brings will be more worthwile without the free damage of crit items. Note i'm not syaing take power completely away from crit items. Specifically deathbringer should be reduced to 20 power from the whopping 50 it gives, and rage should be reduced to 10 power. As far as malice goes I would say reduce its power to 30 OR buff its DoT amount. Lastly, golden bow should be removed as a crit item and given stronger movement/power stats so it's more viable as a starting item choice for adcs. I also like the idea of a crit counter item (other than that crappy helmet they have that it literally the worst attempt at balancing they've done yet a 3 second crit immunity AFTER youn get crit with a 20s CD? not worth that insane price.) however I think 60% is a bit heavy, that makes it so crits will end up doing less than a non crit. I DO think thats the helm would be a viable counter if they applied a nerf to crits. I don't think a nerf to crit items will cause any assassin to fall off, just to rethink thier build at most.

Level completed: 70%, Points required for next Level: 333
    Achievements:
    5000 Experience Points Veteran
    This.
    Doing Unicorn or other builds is not worth the loss of how good crits can be expecially people seeing the big numbers eat their HP like candy.

Level completed: 55%, Points required for next Level: 317
    Achievements:
    1000 Experience Points Tagger Third Class 1 year registered
    They just need to remove criticals entirely and address the fact that they're just additional physical power scaling for basic attacks. Just apply the bonus directly and get rid of all of the randomness and it opens the doors to making more interesting items in general that can be mixed and matched easier.

Basically, just add on a stackable passive that says 'in hand damage increased by 10%' to multiple items intended to boost basic attack damage (higher and lower % based on the item) without boosting ability damage would fix many of the complaints.

Level completed: 94%, Points required for next Level: 34
    Achievements:
    3 months registered Repped! Third Class 500 Experience Points
    I would think in a game that's supposed to be mainly about skill reducing the amount of luck involved would only be a positive thing. I personally think crit should be removed entirely or at the very least reduced.

Playing a squishy mage or hunter I've taken hits up to 1900+ from crits which is basically a one shot and took no skill at all.

Senior Member Honoured Nightr0d's Avatar
    Level completed: 39%, Points required for next Level: 431
    Achievements:
    1000 Experience Points 1 year registered
    I agree that luck is quite annoying but mages need to be toned down as well then. The amount of AOE dmg they can do is absurd. One ult can instantly kill not only you but cripple half if not most of the team. In a way single target burst RNG is balanced with AOE constant burst.

Level completed: 52%, Points required for next Level: 681
    Achievements:
    1 year registered 10000 Experience Points Repped! Second Class Full Profile! Conversation Starter
    Especially considering gods like Loki and who take next to no skill to use, crits are too powerful in comparison to magical damage gods.

Mercury can crit over 1000, which is half the health of most gods in the game.

Lord of the Enigs Infamous Enigmatisty's Avatar
    Level completed: 6%, Points required for next Level: 1,505
    Achievements:
    Tagger Third Class Repped! First Class 10000 Experience Points Repped! Second Class Full Profile!
    One of the only methods against crits is to use the Celestial Legion Helm, and that's only for mages.
    Not sure how effective it'd be, I've never used it.

Senior Member Infamous Trubblegum's Avatar
    Level completed: 28%, Points required for next Level: 1,238
    Achievements:
    Repped! First Class Repped! Second Class 25000 Experience Points Party Person Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by Enigmatisty View Post
    One of the only methods against crits is to use the Celestial Legion Helm, and that's only for mages.
    Not sure how effective it'd be, I've never used it.
    It sucks.
    Costs way too much, and when gods with crit are hitting you every .4s, most of those critting, it just doesn't do it's job properly. Gods like Mercury gobble up mages that build CLH, because their AAs still do a crap ton of damage.
    Disclaimer: I am a volunteer moderator. I work on best judgement and do not speak on behalf of Hi-Rez Studios.

Lord of the Enigs Infamous Enigmatisty's Avatar
    Level completed: 6%, Points required for next Level: 1,505
    Achievements:
    Tagger Third Class Repped! First Class 10000 Experience Points Repped! Second Class Full Profile!
    Quote Originally Posted by Trubblegum View Post
    It sucks.
    Costs way too much, and when gods with crit are hitting you every .4s, most of those critting, it just doesn't do it's job properly. Gods like Mercury gobble up mages that build CLH, because their AAs still do a crap ton of damage.
    I learned that the hard way.
    Except it was an Arachne that wrecked me, but meh, same thing.