Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: Loki's mechanics suck the fun out of the game.

Senior Member Infamous Trubblegum's Avatar
    Level completed: 28%, Points required for next Level: 1,238
    Achievements:
    Repped! First Class Repped! Second Class 25000 Experience Points Party Person Veteran
    I'm done.
    Apparently these days nobody listens to helpful suggestions.
    I'm sick of you people looking at suggestions that even PRO players would shoot at you, and tossing them aside saying "NUH-UH, LOKI2SHOTMEOMGPLZNERFOPGODFCKMUTHEROPNIGFUCKLICKBU LLSHITGOD"
    Disclaimer: I am a volunteer moderator. I work on best judgement and do not speak on behalf of Hi-Rez Studios.

Level completed: 52%, Points required for next Level: 681
    Achievements:
    1 year registered 10000 Experience Points Repped! Second Class Full Profile! Conversation Starter
    Quote Originally Posted by Trubblegum View Post
    I'm done.
    Apparently these days nobody listens to helpful suggestions.
    I'm sick of you people looking at suggestions that even PRO players would shoot at you, and tossing them aside saying "NUH-UH, LOKI2SHOTMEOMGPLZNERFOPGODFCKMUTHEROPNIGFUCKLICKBU LLSHITGOD"
    Helpful means it will work with over 10% success rate. you're a condescending dick with the most idiotic and invalid points I've seen.

Uninstall.

Junior Member Senior Cupidhead OnlyPlayLoki's Avatar
    Level completed: 92%, Points required for next Level: 59
    Achievements:
    Tagger Third Class Repped! Third Class 1 year registered Full Profile! 1000 Experience Points
    I've played a few Loki games over the course of past couple years and I've found that there are a few things that really do counter a Loki pretty hard.

1) This has been mentioned before. Aegis. Tier 3 aegis to be exact. Allowing aegis to soak up his post ult damage (because using aegis preemptively against a Loki ult is VERY unlikely) will mitigate 60-70% of his followup damage. As much as it sucks being forced into an active item I can promise you that your survivability will increase tenfold.

2) Don't play into Loki's hand. Loki has a really terrible early game unless he gets off to a good start. Please realize that because of this subpar early game, his late game compensates for it. I would argue that Loki is one of the best late game gods out there both in assassination and split pushing. Once again, I don't like telling players to bottleneck their play style, but if you're an ADC or Mage or someone that doesn't build defense, and it's not the early game (i.e. after level 11) you better watch out because there is nothing juicer than a split pusher who has no physical defense. Don't play into Loki's hands. You make the game easy for players like me when you do.

3) Check your positioning. Honestly, this is the hardest thing to do. /u/ImAeternalis likes to play Artemis, whom I would argue is one of the best boxers in the game. But that doesn't mean that you deserve to beat a Loki in the late game. I've can honestly say I've been on both sides of the shaft when it comes to Loki, and when I've played any Hunter against a fed enemy Loki, it's very difficult for me, alone, to get anything done. Instead, what I like to do (in the case of a fed enemy Loki) is pair up with some teammates and do my best to start taking objectives. Should Loki split push, we do it faster because we have more people. Should Loki come to kill me, I have allies in waiting to smash him with CC until he drops like the squishy heavyweight he is.

Lastly, this isn't a point, but Loki is the best pub stomp god out there. It doesn't matter what game you play, there will always be an OP class, role, character; it's the very nature of video games. But when you get to a more competitive scene you'll notice that Loki becomes less relevant. To this day I don't play ranked on this account (not anymore) because people have figured out ways to counter my style of play.

Pub-stomp god? Yes. Top tier pick in ranked and competitive play? No.
    Because of those reasons I don't see Loki getting changed all too soon. Yeah, he's frustrating to play against, but trust me, any fed player can be a major nuisance to play against.

Best of luck with the Loki games,

OnlyPlayLoki

Junior Member Senior Cupidhead ElricVIII's Avatar
    Level completed: 85%, Points required for next Level: 105
    Achievements:
    1 year registered 1000 Experience Points
    Quote Originally Posted by OnlyPlayLoki View Post
    I've played a few Loki games over the course of past couple years and I've found that there are a few things that really do counter a Loki pretty hard.

1) This has been mentioned before. Aegis. Tier 3 aegis to be exact. Allowing aegis to soak up his post ult damage (because using aegis preemptively against a Loki ult is VERY unlikely) will mitigate 60-70% of his followup damage. As much as it sucks being forced into an active item I can promise you that your survivability will increase tenfold.

2) Don't play into Loki's hand. Loki has a really terrible early game unless he gets off to a good start. Please realize that because of this subpar early game, his late game compensates for it. I would argue that Loki is one of the best late game gods out there both in assassination and split pushing. Once again, I don't like telling players to bottleneck their play style, but if you're an ADC or Mage or someone that doesn't build defense, and it's not the early game (i.e. after level 11) you better watch out because there is nothing juicer than a split pusher who has no physical defense. Don't play into Loki's hands. You make the game easy for players like me when you do.

3) Check your positioning. Honestly, this is the hardest thing to do. /u/ImAeternalis likes to play Artemis, whom I would argue is one of the best boxers in the game. But that doesn't mean that you deserve to beat a Loki in the late game. I've can honestly say I've been on both sides of the shaft when it comes to Loki, and when I've played any Hunter against a fed enemy Loki, it's very difficult for me, alone, to get anything done. Instead, what I like to do (in the case of a fed enemy Loki) is pair up with some teammates and do my best to start taking objectives. Should Loki split push, we do it faster because we have more people. Should Loki come to kill me, I have allies in waiting to smash him with CC until he drops like the squishy heavyweight he is.

Lastly, this isn't a point, but Loki is the best pub stomp god out there. It doesn't matter what game you play, there will always be an OP class, role, character; it's the very nature of video games. But when you get to a more competitive scene you'll notice that Loki becomes less relevant. To this day I don't play ranked on this account (not anymore) because people have figured out ways to counter my style of play.

Because of those reasons I don't see Loki getting changed all too soon. Yeah, he's frustrating to play against, but trust me, any fed player can be a major nuisance to play against.

OnlyPlayLoki
    I appreciate this well-thought and civil response. But, that is my point. The counterplay that exists for Loki consists largely of not playing the game and doing your best to not interact with him.

As for Aegis, I'm not sure if it still works this way (or does with skills), but being under the aegis shield will not cause discharged damage abilities to proc. I mostly noticed this with polynomicon when it was a core mage item, but it may have changed.

That said, Aegis is a good counter, however its use is often followed up by running away.

Now, as a complete aside: my personal philosophy on game balance is that it should focus on casual/pub play since that is the largest part of the playerbase. The main reason for this is that, for the most part, competitive play will consist of the 16-ish best gods regardless of who they are (with a little leeway for counterpicks and new strats). I play gods that are fun in pubs, I play gods that are good in ranked.

Level completed: 82%, Points required for next Level: 93
    Achievements:
    1000 Experience Points 3 months registered Repped! Third Class
    I used to be frightened of Loki. Whenever I would hear his screech I'd run. Then I played him in Jungle practice and realized his entire kit is meant to take out fleeing enemies. Especially his passive. He can't gank very well if you ward frequently and , at times, the best option isnt to run but to stand and fight. If you have below 10% health and loki comes your way and you're nowhere near your tower you can't escape. If any assassin is coming after you and you have 10% health with no escape, you're done. So what do you do? The best option when you know you're going to die is to hurt him as much as possible so your teammates can finish him off if they try and save you.

Loki is played so often that I no longer worry about him. I now worry more about serqet and hercules than I do about Loki. Aegis is a great counter to his ult. If loki ults you and you have Aegis, his only damaging abilities he has left are his basic attacks and his buff, assuming you're not running away.

All in all, loki's a great assassin. But that's what he is, an assassin. He specializes in dealing high amounts of damage to single targets and escaping before anyone realizes what happened. What he lacks is a means to deal with high amounts of damage from single or multiple targets. You would be surprised how easily a loki can fall. Most loki players build full damage builds anyway. Just hurt him as much as possible if there's no way out of there. The only assassins I commonly see not always building full damage are Ne Zha and Kali. Ne Zha for obvious reasons and Kali due to her natural sustain.

But yes, Aegis is your friend too . Loki is a N00b god really. And in all mobas, noob characters are the most frustrating and boring to deal with.

Just because you suck with a god does not mean they need a buff.

Senior Member Chosen GoldenSkill's Avatar
    Level completed: 99%, Points required for next Level: 13
    Achievements:
    1 year registered Repped! Third Class 5000 Experience Points
    Quote Originally Posted by ImAeternalis View Post
    Helpful means it will work with over 10% success rate. you're a condescending dick with the most idiotic and invalid points I've seen.

Uninstall.
    wow... toxic
    how to win games:
    1. understand the meta.
    2. pick an op god.
    3. master him.
    4. spam VEL.
    the game will never be balanced.
    u got an awesome balance team there hi-rez

Level completed: 52%, Points required for next Level: 681
    Achievements:
    1 year registered 10000 Experience Points Repped! Second Class Full Profile! Conversation Starter
    Quote Originally Posted by OnlyPlayLoki View Post

OnlyPlayLoki
    1. Aegis isn't a counter. It's only a counter if you know he's coming, which is stupid since he is invisible. Have you ever been ulted by loki? By the stun if over you're at 1hk. When the aegis is over he can just hit you and kill you because of his mobility. This is the dumbest argument I have ever seen period. It doesn't work.

2. He can get an easy start.

solo lane - Poke the god and escape a couple times. use 1+3 and you get the kill.

jungle - Do your thing and wait until a god is almost dead. 2hk for loki. Even if they do get away, the bleeding damage gets them.

3. Artemis falls short in boxing unless they run into your 1 or you ult. Besides, by the time I know I'm getting attacked by loki it's already too late to box him.

Achievements:
    why u keep talking about his advantages ?
    loki's ult+1+3 will never be able to delete a squishy. it will deal about 2/3 of a squishy's hp late game but
    1. he got no hard cc to get in melee range so the stealth is fine.
    2.he is an assassin. if he gets in melee range with a squishy, what do u expect ?
    3.i killed lots of loki s as ullr, poseidon, zeus, swk... and i remember some of those situations. swk's tiger can halve a loki's hp..
    also, wards
    not sure but i feel that u didn't face a non-fed loki in any of ur games to say all this. and the balance goes around conq not arena or joust.
    loki's damage is balance. he is an assassin and he will always take 2/3 of a squishy's hp mid~late game if he gets in melee range like any other assassin.
    but he will still forced to use his escaping tool for damage. and he still can't box most gods. and still a squishy too.
    ppl are complaing about him because he can get in melee range easily with his targect. and that is because he got no hard cc. just a different type of assassins.
    how to win games:
    1. understand the meta.
    2. pick an op god.
    3. master him.
    4. spam VEL.

Senior Member Prestigious RippleApple's Avatar
    Level completed: 7%, Points required for next Level: 1,307
    Achievements:
    Tagger Third Class Full Profile! Repped! Third Class Repped! First Class 10000 Experience Points
    His escape tool is his stealth OR his ult. Approach with his stealth, use your ult to escape. Approach with your ult, pop beads 3 and use your stealth to escape. Simple.

Also yes he does have hard cc. And soft cc. And anti-slow. And denial of area. Loki has quite a bit you're not accounting for.

Achievements:
    should i say it again ? loki can't box anyone. if he kills u then uses his stealth or ult to escape, it is ur fault.

edit: he is an assassin wtf
    Last edited by GoldenSkill; 12-06-2014 at 12:45 PM.
    how to win games:
    1. understand the meta.
    2. pick an op god.
    3. master him.
    4. spam VEL.