Thread: Locking for a god is a poor design.

Junior Member Senior Cupidhead M4st0d0n's Avatar
    Level completed: 2%, Points required for next Level: 493
    Achievements:
    Tagger Third Class 250 Experience Points 3 months registered Repped! Third Class

Locking for a god is a poor design.

So now I'm reaching lvl30 and my gameplay experience has been mitigated. I get it that matchmaking is in beta right now. Still, I think locking for a god is a poor design choice. Half of the game is played during god pick cause that's precisely the moment you'll know you're gona spend the next hour with teamplayers or trolls. I dont hate trolls, they can be fun in a casual games. But I hate a game when it gives them tools.

I dont see any use for the locking mechanism. Except maybe to force the countdown and start the match. It's a teambased game where most of the conflict in the team itself arise because people are not getting the role they want. They can yet force it to others by abusing the lock. That's pretty much the opposite you want to implement to sparks teamplay. Instead of locking, make a voting system for the match to be confirmed. If people are agreeing from the start to play the match they'll likely play it till the end. If they want to test things far away from the meta they need to discuss it in the chat for the others to be OK with it or play it against bots.

It doesnt take a grade in psychology to know who will focus on stealkilling, who will feed and eventually disconnect, just by the attitude in the chat. For now I'll be happy to fill, play whatever it logically takes to balance the team, but I wont deal with three instalockers picking assassins anymore. I'll rather take a 30 min penalty for not picking a god.

TL,DR : Get rid of the locking mecanism. It's useless. Implement a vote for match to start.

Level completed: 10%, Points required for next Level: 452
    I'd say to take care of the D/C'ing first. Get regular 5v5 matches instead of 1 or 2 nearly always d/c'ing and we'll discuss other issues lol.

Senior Member Infamous Disquieted1's Avatar
    Level completed: 22%, Points required for next Level: 1,092
    Achievements:
    3 months registered 10000 Experience Points Full Profile! Repped! Second Class Repped! Third Class
    I haven't seen an instalocker in a while. I have, however, seen more BM'ers, trolls and throwers. Especially throwers. I lost my hard earned w/l ratio recovery because of them.
    Smite is an online multiplayer game. You can't have immediate gratification simply by starting the game. The ground is even. There's another player on the other side. You are not entitled to having everything favoring you at every time. If you don't like it, by all means, go back to the 1-shot-kills-all Aliens: Colonial Marines singleplayer.

Junior Member Senior Cupidhead M4st0d0n's Avatar
    Level completed: 2%, Points required for next Level: 493
    Achievements:
    Tagger Third Class 250 Experience Points 3 months registered Repped! Third Class
    Voting system to validate the match need people to be connected. And if people disconnect during the game they get a penalty. Even if they're lvl 19 with a shitload of kills and assists.

Not that I think this thread would be read by any devs or make any difference, but I'll explain my point of view anyway. People are DCing for a reason. Server stability, clientside problem or rage. Many will say here they cant fix rage or the community. That's far from true. You can design skinner boxes for every comportment. There's the grind for favor, there's the goodwill, there's the WLR, the KDR, the KDA, every single meaningless stat you'll inconciously start to look at more and more and care for is designed. So we've got a teambased game. You need to reinforce the "team" comportment. Why is there a useless mechanism that trolls can abuse right before the start? I'm sorry, I dont see any point in locking. Beside that, if people cant get their shit together in the lobby, give them a way to avoid a whole spoiled match.