Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: [TUTORIAL] How to get FPS up, prevent frame drops, and other frame related goodies

Junior Member Senior Cupidhead
    Level completed: 75%, Points required for next Level: 126
    Achievements:
    Tagger Third Class 1 year registered 1000 Experience Points

Post [TUTORIAL] How to get FPS up, prevent frame drops, and other frame related goodies

Okay so I see there is no official mention of this anywhere on hi-rez documentation or forum, luckily I know what I was looking for. Any who if this violates something something something just know I miss interpreted the rules, its just settings stuff and this is by all means not official. It is important to know that this file contains vital information for the game and it can be quite confusing. in other words :

THIS FILE CAN BREAK YOUR GAME

ok butts covered, on with the tutorial.
    what you will need is:
    • know where smite is installed
    • copy and paste
    • have note pad and know how to use search
    • administrator privilages

first step is locating your game folder, normally it is installed at C:\Program Files\Hi-Rez Studios\HiRezGames\smite\BattleGame\Config
    Code:
    note that in 64 bit windows it will be in program files x86
    what you are looking for this folder \Hi-Rez Studios\HiRezGames\smite\BattleGame\Config 
    you are looking for a file called DefaultEngine.ini

you need to copy and paste it to your desktop (or folder)

double click the copy, if asked what to open with select notepad (important not to use wordpad because it might mess up the encoding).

find bSmoothFrameRate

if you haven't figured out by its name, this is what slows down the frame rate to smooth animation. If you are having trouble with the game slowing down alot, you may want to turn this to FALSE, however it is important to note that you risk overheating. I strongly advice against this. also, don't go crazy and put 30000 as a frame rate. my rig caps out at 320 fps and you can definately hear her fans roar.

after tweaking desired numbers you will find that you cannot save, there are two ways to go about this but i will only show one to encourage people to back up files.

so anyway in note pad use the save-as option to save it. chose a new folder and name it DefaultEngine.ini.
    make sure you are saving as "all files" and not "text (.txt)"

now go to the folder you saved in, right click and open properties. Select "Read Only" option

you are done. copy and paste back to where we found it. (this is where you need admin)

there are other settings that can help boost fps but i will stay off that because there is ALOT

Achievements:
    alternate method:
    make backup via copy and paste. copy and paste once more, do last step un-tic read only, make edits, re enable read only.
    i also recomend turning vsync off, this can be found in the graphics settings in game
    alternatively the -NoVSync command can be used to disable before run time so theres no restart needed. just set it as command line argument in launcher options.

picture of frame rate while ra cast flash in jungle practice:

you are free to re-post, this is just a picture friendly tutorial
    i take no credit, all of this and more can be found in the unreal 3 documentation
    Last edited by chaomancie; 11-17-2014 at 12:56 PM.

Super Moderator Godlike RainbowSplat's Avatar
    Level completed: 73%, Points required for next Level: 933
    Achievements:
    Tagger Second Class Reputation Distributor Repped! First Class Repped! Second Class Full Profile!
    Awards:
    Discussion Ender
    for me gap is 22 to 66 i wanna try this thing does it give ANY risk to my pc or only game?

update:changed the file to true and made 100/250 nothing changed same fps
    Last edited by RainbowSplat; 11-17-2014 at 05:48 AM.
    *Disclaimer: I am a volunteer moderator. I work on best judgement and do not speak on behalf of Hi-Rez Studios.*

Senior Member Infamous Myrkulyte's Avatar
    Level completed: 67%, Points required for next Level: 540
    Achievements:
    10000 Experience Points Full Profile! Party Person Repped! First Class 1 year registered
    Quote Originally Posted by RainbowSplat View Post
    for me gap is 22 to 66 i wanna try this thing does it give ANY risk to my pc or only game?

To the game is the risk to need to redownload it, not a big deal.
    But the physical part of your PC may suffer, because it's forced to work like a horse, and will overheat very fast. Perhaps if you keep you PC near a cold air source? Like a window? Or a...I don't know the term in english, that big thing in which you keep your food.

Achievements:
    Quote Originally Posted by RainbowSplat View Post

make the gap less and see if there is a difference. the framerate can only go as high as your computer will allow. make sure the changes in settings are there, and make sure game is not runnnig.
    its also important to know that if the default engine looks corrupt the game willl run with a file names baseengine.ini which will cause the game to run at native UE3 settings. if there is no changes persisting try to "fix/repair" or even redownload.
    a quick way to tell is if you set your graphic settings to max the game should default to 22-152 fps. if you dont notice any change the game might think your .ini is corrupt
    Quote Originally Posted by Myrkulyte View Post
    To the game is the risk to need to redownload it, not a big deal.
    But the physical part of your PC may suffer, because it's forced to work like a horse, and will overheat very fast. Perhaps if you keep you PC near a cold air source? Like a window? Or a...I don't know the term in english, that big thing in which you keep your food.
    yes. the risk is the game won;t run. but the bigger risk is overheating. i can safely run at 100-250 for hours with out overheating though.
    Last edited by chaomancie; 11-17-2014 at 12:05 PM.

Banned Honoured ExtremelyCasual's Avatar
    Level completed: 66%, Points required for next Level: 242
    Achievements:
    3 months registered 1000 Experience Points Tagger Third Class Full Profile! Repped! Third Class
    This thread was SO helpful. It needs to be stickied if it's not against the ToS. The recent lagginess of the servers really make FPS and Ping a heavy factor in games as of late.

Senior Member Chosen BraidMyButtHair's Avatar
    Level completed: 58%, Points required for next Level: 462
    Achievements:
    5000 Experience Points Repped! Second Class 1 year registered
    I really don't understand how people can see the difference between 50 frames to 60 frames. Let alone, 60 frames to 100+ frames. If it's smooth it's smooth. If it's laggy it's laggy.

Achievements:
    you will see a difference when you are coming around corners, you essentially draw more often so you see the game update more frequently. which essentially = seeing people .1 of a second before they see you.
    the other part is i see alot of frame stuff on the technical questions forum

Senior Member Infamous Myrkulyte's Avatar
    Level completed: 67%, Points required for next Level: 540
    Achievements:
    10000 Experience Points Full Profile! Party Person Repped! First Class 1 year registered
    Quote Originally Posted by BraidMyButtHair View Post
    I really don't understand how people can see the difference between 50 frames to 60 frames. Let alone, 60 frames to 100+ frames. If it's smooth it's smooth. If it's laggy it's laggy.

We are special and you don't

Senior Member Honoured JesusOnAStick's Avatar
    Level completed: 10%, Points required for next Level: 630
    Would you suggest this for an awful laptop that get 20fps if it is lucky?
    (Also doing this could get you banned I think)
    Music is a moral law. It gives soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination, and charm and gaiety to life and to everything.