Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Mazu, Protectress of Seafarers [Guardian, Chinese pantheon]

Senior Member Prestigious GongsunYiru's Avatar
    Level completed: 53%, Points required for next Level: 810
    Achievements:
    Repped! First Class Repped! Second Class Reputation Distributor Repped! Third Class Discussion Ender
    Awards:
    Guru

Mazu, Protectress of Seafarers

This concept is mostly based on the academic article...

Mazu
    媽祖
    Protectress of Seafarers

PANTHEON: Chinese

TYPE: Ranged, magical

ROLE: Guardian

PROS: High defense, high crowd control

LORE: The goddess Mazu was known as Lin Moniang in her mortal life. Born to an ordinary fisherman's family on Meizhou island, she was a kind-hearted young lady who had dedicated her short life to helping her fellow people.

Once while she was dreaming, she suddenly found herself projected in the midst of a hurricane far at sea. Seeing that her brothers and father were in peril, she desperately tried to save them, but one brother drowned and descended to a watery grave. During her life, she would bring rain to end a drought, save people with medicine, pacify two violent demons who became her loyal generals, rescue survivors of shipwrecks, and many other great deeds. However, her own life would ultimately end no differently as she tragically died at a young age, lost to the unfathomable depths of the ever-unmerciful seas. And yet, old sailor stories began appearing and were transmitted down to later generations, telling about a beautiful maiden in a red dress roaming the high seas.

Coming down to the time of days past, the goddess Mazu was said to appear to those who were in distress—who had ventured too far from home. Having beheld her divine omens among huge waves like mountains rising sky-high, seafarers felt reassured that the goddess would guide them back to their loved ones and that there was no real cause for fear of the seas' perils.

APPEARANCE:

• She's depicted as a young lady in her mid-twenties, whose mortal incarnation's birth was in 960 and death was in 987.
    • She's often depicted with a red hanfu (漢服) dress with very large sleeves.
    • Her dress could be designed in accordance with a drowned look (distressed, watery, and flowy), considering she died by drowning in life and is fated to perpetually roam over the seas thereafter.
    • She could have a zhaoshan (罩衫, see 8th, 9th, and 10th image below), which is a large open large-sleeved coat, over her dress.
    • She's known to carry a divine lantern to guide ships home, which symbolizes a natural maritime phenomena known nowadays as Saint Elmo's Fire. This is mentioned in the 15th-century Changle inscription for example.
    • She often wears a regal headgear with pendants/beads (see 6th, 7th, and 8th image below) hanging from it. The headgear is a bit styled like emperor's mianguan (冕冠).
    • Her hair would be black, long, and framing her face.
    • She would be designed with a hovering movement in her animation, as she appears as maiden who roams over the seas in lore.
    • Her recolor or tier 2 skin could be named Heavenly Princess (天妃), which was one of the regal titles that was bestowed upon her.

Reference images for design details:

ABILITIES:

PASSIVE - RAIN OF BLOSSOMS: Mazu calms the storms at sea, bringing solace to allies. This results in the closest allied god having no movement speed penalty for basic attacks within her vicinity.

• Radius: 55ft
    Notes: Mazu was said to be able to control the weather and calm the storms at seas; storms that seafarers responded to by steering the ship's bow into the crashing waves, lowering the sails, and casting the anchor or face the dangers of capsizing.
    ABILITY 1 - SEA OF CLOUDS: In rough seas and heavy clouds, Mazu causes a hurricane that damages, lowers protection, and slows. The storm also grabs and pushes enemies 180 degrees counterclockwise along its tract.

• Type: Area
    • Radius: 25ft
    • Damage: ???
    • Protection decrease: ??? for 3s
    • Slow: 20/25/30/35/40% for 3s
    • Push duration: 1s

• Type: Line
    • Damage: ???
    • Cripple: 2s
    • Range: 50ft
    Mechanic: The ability is a dash by Mazu, going through all enemies (but doing no damage or anything). The two demon generals dashes with her, but they stop at the first enemy god hit by Mazu's dash (to burst damage and cripple the enemy god).
    Lore: Mazu is often depicted amongst clouds, hovering over the seas, which is how the dash would look. Mazu was said to have pacified two demons, Qianliyan (Eyes that see a thousand miles) and Shunfeng'er (Ears that hear with the wind), who became her guardian generals and are often depicted with her. They kept watch over the seas. One is depicted as making a gesture of peering to the distance and the other is depicted as holding his hand to an ear.
    ABILITY 3 - DIVINE LANTERN: Mazu's lantern shines in the midst of danger (nearby enemies). This increases stacks by one per 6/5/4/3.5/3s up to 5 stacks. All stacks are lost upon activation of the ability or death.

• Type: Area
    • Radius: 30ft

Passive: MP5 is increased for herself and nearby allies if the lantern is lit.

• MP5 increase: ???

Active: Surrounded by the darkness of the storm, her lantern shines bright among the waves. All nearby allies heal and gain protection. The longer the lantern was lit (stacks), the higher the ability can heal and increase protection for the ally with the lowest health.

• Heal: ??? (all allies) + ??? per stack (bonus for lowest health ally)
    • Protection increase: ??? (all allies) + ??? per stack for 3s (bonus for lowest health ally)
    Lore: Some nautical phenomena were taken as her divine omens. In this case, the lantern refers to Saint Elmo's fire appearing in a storm, which was taken as her divine omen by mariners of days past. Or quoting the epitaph of the grand admiral Zheng He (in the Changle inscription, 15th century): "The power of the goddess, having indeed been manifested in previous times, has been abundantly revealed in the present generation. In the midst of the rushing waters it happened that, when there was a hurricane, suddenly a divine lantern was seen shining at the masthead, and as soon as that miraculous light appeared the danger was appeased, so that even in the peril of capsizing one felt reassured and that there was no cause for fear."
    In regard to the healing, she was held in high esteem by villagers for her knowledge in healing during her life.
    ULTIMATE - TREASURE SHIP: In a storm, Mazu raises a large wrecked ship from the ocean's depths. The ship moves slowly forward for a very short distance, while damaging and stunning enemies in a volley of cannon fire. All enemies are also slowed while in its firing range.

• Type: Ground target
    • Damage per tick: ??? every 0.4s
    • Stun: 2s upon the first hit
    • Slow: 20/25/30/35/40%
    • Area of effect: 55x55ft
    • Lifetime: 5s
    Appearance: Ingame, I imagine a large treasure ship (寶船)--like those famous flagships in Zheng He's fleet--in the skies. Nine masted, a broken and decaying hull with water pouring from it, sails in tatters, creaking as it moves... how one would imagine a once-sunken vessel to appear. The atmosphere would be stormy.
    Lore: Mazu is sometimes depicted as hovering on clouds, above the ship's mast, in paintings. Thus, it could also be made into a semi-global.

Level completed: 35%, Points required for next Level: 592
    Achievements:
    1000 Experience Points 1 year registered
    Reduce the time for the warding. She can put a lot of wards in the time of cd. If it is only allowed to be one then it's more reasonable but I say 1 min would be better.

Achievements:
    Repped! First Class Repped! Second Class Reputation Distributor Repped! Third Class Discussion Ender
    Awards:
    Guru
    I've changed some things, but it's definitely not an unlimited supply of wards.

Forum Moderator Prestigious Aurasai's Avatar
    Level completed: 1%, Points required for next Level: 1,499
    Achievements:
    Tagger Second Class Repped! First Class Arm of the Law! Party Person 10000 Experience Points
    Again, well presented but no damage numbers (at least for me). I have some issues with the kit this time:
    The passive seems a bit random and underwhelming. You can't really count these hits and 10th hit can either be a 700 damage Hunter crit, or a 60 damage guardian hit. I think even something simple as bonus protections would be better here.
    The other problem is that her CCs are way too much, even for a Guardian. She has 2 slows (1 of which for 40%), a 2 sec stun, a knockback and a weak push skill and an up to 2,5 sec mez. Tone down to CC to a point where you are no longer maxing diminishing returns on your own kit, and this would be a great concept.
    Last edited by Aurasai; 11-17-2014 at 09:15 AM.

Other stuff: Supremacy game mode and item suggestions

Disclaimer: I am a volunteer moderator. I work on best judgement and do not speak on behalf of Hi-Rez Studios. Also I will not be able to contest your in-game ban.

Achievements:
    Awards:
    Guru
    I've changed the passive and revised some numbers.

Level completed: 49%, Points required for next Level: 207
    Hi! I love the concept, but when in the lore it said she'd appear far away to help I had the idea that one of her abilities would allow her to link her self to an ally, hovering above them in spirit form. While protecting them, both would have increase protections and heal over time; she can use her other abilities while like this, but all movement is in the hands of the ally. However, her passive is that damage done to the ally is split in half between her and the ally. She can leave the ally's side by jumping to the ground dealing damage in a small area. The linking ability could replace the demonic generals ability, having the lantern ability have ward vision by placing it down and giving vision in an area. Also, instead of jumping away, Mazu could teleport to her lantern from Ghost Form instead, allowing better mobility and give the ability to rescue someone in a hurry.

What do you think?

Achievements:
    Awards:
    Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by HyTricksy View Post
    Hi! I love the concept, but when in the lore it said she'd appear far away to help I had the idea that one of her abilities would allow her to link her self to an ally, hovering above them in spirit form. While protecting them, both would have increase protections and heal over time; she can use her other abilities while like this, but all movement is in the hands of the ally. However, her passive is that damage done to the ally is split in half between her and the ally. She can leave the ally's side by jumping to the ground dealing damage in a small area. The linking ability could replace the demonic generals ability, having the lantern ability have ward vision by placing it down and giving vision in an area. Also, instead of jumping away, Mazu could teleport to her lantern from Ghost Form instead, allowing better mobility and give the ability to rescue someone in a hurry.

What do you think?
    That's an interesting gameplay mechanism, but I think that it wouldn't be that exciting for the player to be unable to move for oneself.

Junior Member Cupidhead
    Level completed: 7%, Points required for next Level: 467
    Achievements:
    31 days registered 250 Experience Points
    Quote Originally Posted by GongsunYiru View Post
    That's an interesting gameplay mechanism, but I think that it wouldn't be that exciting for the player to be unable to move for oneself.
    True Lol who wants to be puppet of other hands .
    people play game to be master of their own .

Achievements:
    Awards:
    Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by Avtar9 View Post
    True Lol who wants to be puppet of other hands .
    people play game to be master of their own .
    Yep, I think it won't work, because SMITE is fastpaced while involving a lot of positioning and skill shots. That's the quite a big aspect for fun within this game.

Junior Member Cupidhead HuxenBolt's Avatar
    Level completed: 85%, Points required for next Level: 78
    Achievements:
    1 year registered 1000 Experience Points
    Awesome, all i can say. Just saying too, the ult seems to OP, but thats just me. It will probably break the game depending the size of the ship :P
    I'm just here to speak the truth, don't hate me for it.