Thread: Micropayments in video games - evil or bliss?

Level completed: 9%, Points required for next Level: 366

Question Micropayments in video games - evil or bliss?

What do you guys think of micropayments in video games?

I would appreciate it very much if would share your opinion in this 1 minute survey - I'm conducting research for my graduate thesis.

https://docs.google.com/forms/d/1aZq...?usp=send_form

And please feel free to continue the discussion in this thread!

Thank you!

Forum Moderator Prestigious Aurasai's Avatar
    Level completed: 75%, Points required for next Level: 430
    Achievements:
    Tagger Second Class Repped! First Class Arm of the Law! Party Person Veteran
    Nice survey. Anyway, to give more info about my personal opinion on the matter...

For microtransactions in F2P games:
    They are ok only if they offer cosmetics or small convenience bonuses (like XP boots in MOBAs (outside of a match) or most MMOs, but not in shooters games!). Apart of the speed at which new stuff can be acquired (outside shooters), they should not offer any gameplay benefits. If there are some "premium" exclusive paid items (for example weapons) they must also have a slightly stronger version which can be gained with in-game curency.

At the same time, said in-game currency should also be acquired at a reasonable pace, where a new game item (like a fully equiped weapon or a character) can be accessed at least every 20-25 hours of game time.

I am also okay with premium packs that offer instant access to all upcoming gameplay related content (like Smite's Ultimate God Pack... it's a pretty good deal!), whenever its price and the game payment model are reasonable.

For microtransactions in paid games:
    In pretty much every single non F2P game where microtransactions are used, this restricts the pace at which the player gains access to new content (looking at you Ubisoft and EA!). If you pay for a fully prized game you should have instant access to all of the content the game has to offer upon release.

About DLCs and expansion packs:
    I am ok with paid DLCs which offer more content long after the game's release, but the quite common day 1 DLC bullshit is a very scumbag move that no one likes. The items included in those DLCs are already within the game files of a game you just paid full price for, having it locked under a paywall is disrespectful to your customers. As for expansion packs, there is a recent trend of selling them for the price of the full game. An expansion pack should be priced depending on how much hours of potential new content it offers compared to the full game.

To also add a few words about piracy:
    I am not going to try and talk everyone into or out of pirating a game. This is just my opinion regarding how publishers and developers should "fight" piracy and offer a decent product.
    Piracy is the direct competitor to publishers. If they restrict content on their product with expensive DLCs and buggy/annoying DRM (fuck UPLAY!) then their main competitor already offers the same product, without all of these issues... for free. The same could be said for rushed buggy releases. All premium "AAA" games should also have a demo. If I have to spend 60+ euro on something then I want to know what I am buying.

To sum it up: if you offer a demo, be innovative with your product instead of offering a slightly more polished version of the exact same game just for the sake of having a new game every year, don't push that annoying day 1 DLC bullshit, price your game accordingly and stop shoving your DRM in people's faces, there will be a lot less people pirating your games!

Other stuff: Supremacy game mode and item suggestions

Disclaimer: I am a volunteer moderator. I work on best judgement and do not speak on behalf of Hi-Rez Studios. Also I will not be able to contest your in-game ban.

Level completed: 9%, Points required for next Level: 366
    Thank you very much Aurasai, for your feedback, and for your splendid post on the matter.
    I'm at an unfortunate situation in which I myself cannot take part in the debate, seeing that I'm conducting unbiased academic research on the topic.
    I hope your post ignites some more discussion on this thread!
    I will have my questionnaire open for a few more days, before I start writing my analysis. All input is very much welcome at this point!

Forum Moderator Prestigious Aurasai's Avatar
    Level completed: 75%, Points required for next Level: 430
    Achievements:
    Tagger Second Class Repped! First Class Arm of the Law! Party Person Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by Johnnryu View Post
    Thank you very much Aurasai, for your feedback, and for your splendid post on the matter.
    I'm at an unfortunate situation in which I myself cannot take part in the debate, seeing that I'm conducting unbiased academic research on the topic.
    I hope your post ignites some more discussion on this thread!
    I will have my questionnaire open for a few more days, before I start writing my analysis. All input is very much welcome at this point!
    I would like to hear your opinion after finishing your research.

Other stuff: Supremacy game mode and item suggestions

Disclaimer: I am a volunteer moderator. I work on best judgement and do not speak on behalf of Hi-Rez Studios. Also I will not be able to contest your in-game ban.

Ex-Forum Moderator Infamous IrishPotato's Avatar
    Level completed: 54%, Points required for next Level: 691
    Achievements:
    1 year registered Discussion Ender 10000 Experience Points Full Profile! Arm of the Law!
    Awards:
    Arm of Law
    As someone who played GW2 for 2 years (until my current computer can't run it well at all ;( ))I can say microtransactions in the form of customization/cosmetics/small convenciences really made that game more fun. It wasn't pay to win (outside buying the single purchase game with no sub)
    Don't be fooled by the EX. The King is immortal

Level completed: 41%, Points required for next Level: 419
    Achievements:
    Tagger Third Class 1000 Experience Points 1 year registered
    I think TF2 has the best micropayment system.
    Run you clever boy, and remember

If you're a Mod and you disprove with what I did with my signature, shoot me a PM and I'll change it. I'm not sure if it's against the rules here; some forums allow it, while some others don't

Senior Member Prestigious DonaldX's Avatar
    Level completed: 95%, Points required for next Level: 67
    Achievements:
    Repped! First Class Conversation Starter Tagger Second Class Reputation Distributor 10000 Experience Points
    Paying 60€ for a new game and then see all the extra DLC and "exclusive" crap they offer....
    I miss the times when you got a game and thats it. Enjoy your time.

TotalBiscuit wise words: Before i had to put a cheat code now i have to put my credit card number