Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Where to Ward

Senior Member Chosen JesusHatesYou's Avatar
    Level completed: 67%, Points required for next Level: 433
    Achievements:
    10000 Experience Points Conversation Starter Reputation Distributor Tagger First Class! Tagger Master Class

Post Where to Ward

Link to matching reddit post.

This is a general guide to warding, focusing on good locations to place wards. If you have any advice you would like added to the post, leave it below, and I will edit to add it in.

First off, let's quell a common rumor: Lots of people think that its the job of the support to ward, and no one else. This could not be more wrong. It is EVERYONE'S job to ward. Wards win wars. Knowledge is power. You should light your minimap up like a Christmas Tree. If you're at fountain and have an extra 50 gold, just pick up a ward and put it somewhere.
    --Relevant Video (yes its for LoL, but it's still true).

Where? Funny you should ask, here's a general guide on where you should be putting them. For the following images, good ward locations are marked by either Green, Red, or Yellow. Obviously these aren't the only places you should ward, but they are very high traffic areas and will be very beneficial.

There's a few other small details about wards that are useful to know, but this guide is more targeted towards getting players to start thinking about warding. The wiki gives a good summary of stats about them.

---------------------------------------------------

For Solo/Duo (side lanes) -- see this for further explanation of solo/duo. There was a better post about it, but it got deleted. If you know of a good one, let me know).

Green: Very safe. On the right, it helps you know if the enemy is stealing your buffs. On the left, it gives you stellar vision of incoming ganks. If you see an enemy here, there's a good chance you can surprise them for a kill.
    YellowGreen: Gives you a better view of the entrance to your lane to keep you safer from ganks, and still gives you a good view of your purple buff.
    Yellow: Provides limited vision, but is a safe area to access, and often ganks will come from here.
    Orange: A risky spot, but with high reward. This is the most common place you will be ganked from. It also provides you and your jungler information on what their jungler is doing. It can help you steal enemy buffs.
    Red: This provides you more vision of the enemy jungle, helping you keep tabs on the enemy jungler, but sacrifices some vision of the entrance to your lane.

For Mid Lane/Harpies

Green: Safe, and keeps vision of the entrance to your lane so you can see incoming ganks. also provides vision of most of the mid camp.
    Yellow: Provides great vision of the whole mid camp, but sacrifices vision of incoming ganks.
    Red: Risky, but allows you to clearly see when the enemy is going for the mid camps. This will help you steal the camp away from them, and still provide you vision of and entrance to your lane.

Yllwyck pointed out that it can also be useful to ward right in front of the enemy T1 Tower:

Quote Originally Posted by Yllwyck View Post
    The middle of the lane right outside the tower. That spot is used if the enemy is used to help alert your teammates of the missing enemy midlaner and is more often used in higher end play. Mainly when the main jungle spots are being Sentry warded frequently. These wards are useless after the T1 tower is down, but provide the best defense against not calling MIA (which you should still do if they aren't mid). It's a team ward so it would be yellow according to this chart since it provides little information to yourself, but a LOT to your allies should you back.

Warding for Jungler:

This is a little less straight forward. Generally, you just pick up the slack that everyone else can't take care of.

I usually try to fill in the spots my teammates are missing. As a jungler, you cover a lot of the map, so it's rather easy for you to ward the tough to access spots. If you ever see some place where you want to have a ward, just go place one the next time you're over there.

If your teammates aren't warding, you have to prioritize. Keep the main objectives (Mid camps, Gold Fury, and Fire Giant) warded first, and then start doing other spots once you get that under control.

Warding for Gold Fury/Fire Giant:

Green: Safe, and allows you to see more enemy movement at the cost of less vision of the objective.
    Yellow: This provides the most vision of the objective. It is generally a good idea to put a sentry ward here to allow for counter-warding.
    Red: Slightly more risky, and again give more vision of enemy movement at the cost of less vision of the objective.

Warding for Late Game:

Green: Safe spots. To allow you to push safely, this is the BARE MINIMUM you should have warded late game. If you don't know where the enemy is, you don't push, especially not alone. These spots provide a good balance of revealing movement and objectives.
    Yellow: Aggressive, and very useful. If you have these warded in addition to the greens, you can almost assuredly push lanes safely. Just make sure you have your eye on the minimap.
    Red: High Risk, High Reward. If you have these, the enemy can barely leave base without you knowing where they are. This allow you to spot people out of position, and crash down on them for a kill.

Obviously none of this is law and free thinking is always encouraged. I find that these spots are commonly warded and provide a lot of valuable knowledge. I hope this was helpful!

Here is a link to the full imgur album if you find that useful as well.
    Last edited by JesusHatesYou; 12-02-2015 at 08:47 PM. Reason: adding like to wiki page

Senior Member Honoured MikalMirkas's Avatar
    Level completed: 78%, Points required for next Level: 202
    Achievements:
    1000 Experience Points Tagger Second Class Repped! Third Class 1 year registered
    >bare minimum

and yet we see 70% of games without even a single ward QQ
    Quote Originally Posted by Anonymous
    Sometimes I can't tell whether MikalMirkas is being intentionally stupid or if he's just trolling. Does anyone actually read his walls of text? I'm scared to read them because he might just say something stupid like HL3 Confirmed at the end of it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rudoss
    I think it is fine because I do not think.
    PM me if you need mechanic explanation or forum halp.

Achievements:
    10000 Experience Points Conversation Starter Reputation Distributor Tagger First Class! Tagger Master Class
    Quote Originally Posted by MikalMirkas View Post
    >bare minimum

and yet we see 70% of games without even a single ward QQ
    yeahhh... and my teammates push up to the phoenix with 0 vision by themselves and get pissed when they get collapsed on by the entire enemy team. Whatcha gonna do.

Level completed: 89%, Points required for next Level: 82
    Achievements:
    Tagger Third Class Repped! Third Class 1000 Experience Points 1 year registered
    Great guide, useful information that everyone should know regardless of role. Everyone needs to ward. I play support, personally on the duo side i ward the enemy blue buff and just under the gold fury if were on the left side. Sometimes when the enemy does mid camps they come for an invade, that ward will spot them out quicker. Secondly if we are pushed up to the tower and the jungler tries to come from down there it will spot them out earlier giving us more time to react, but it is risky as it won't spot an enemy jungler who first checks our speed buff and rotates from there.

There is nothing more annoying than people complaining about being ganked when they don't put down wards. Supports can only carry 2 normal wards and 1 sentry ward, early game they will likely carry a pot in place of the sentry, mid - late game their wards are dedicated to fire giant and gold fury. I've been messing about in the practice roam mode, just placing wards in places to see the coverage, so in game i know exactly what area they can cover.

Hope people look at this guide and start warding.

Senior Member Honoured MikalMirkas's Avatar
    Level completed: 78%, Points required for next Level: 202
    Achievements:
    1000 Experience Points Tagger Second Class Repped! Third Class 1 year registered
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaishinamon View Post
    Great guide, useful information that everyone should know regardless of role. Everyone needs to ward. I play support, personally on the duo side i ward the enemy blue buff and just under the gold fury if were on the left side. Sometimes when the enemy does mid camps they come for an invade, that ward will spot them out quicker. Secondly if we are pushed up to the tower and the jungler tries to come from down there it will spot them out earlier giving us more time to react, but it is risky as it won't spot an enemy jungler who first checks our speed buff and rotates from there.

There is nothing more annoying than people complaining about being ganked when they don't put down wards. Supports can only carry 2 normal wards and 1 sentry ward, early game they will likely carry a pot in place of the sentry, mid - late game their wards are dedicated to fire giant and gold fury. I've been messing about in the practice roam mode, just placing wards in places to see the coverage, so in game i know exactly what area they can cover.

Hope people look at this guide and start warding.
    By 20m in the game, if any person hasn't bought at LEAST four wards then I'm probably not going out of my way to save them if they overextend.

and i like overextending damn it :|
    Quote Originally Posted by Anonymous
    Sometimes I can't tell whether MikalMirkas is being intentionally stupid or if he's just trolling. Does anyone actually read his walls of text? I'm scared to read them because he might just say something stupid like HL3 Confirmed at the end of it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rudoss
    I think it is fine because I do not think.
    PM me if you need mechanic explanation or forum halp.

Senior Member Honoured Aximundi's Avatar
    Level completed: 89%, Points required for next Level: 91
    Achievements:
    1000 Experience Points Repped! Third Class 1 year registered
    not to shabby

i think this belongs here sadly the people who need to watch it wont for silly reasons ~,~
    Color my life with the chaos of trouble

Achievements:
    [QUOTE=Aximundi;20504]not to shabby

i think this belongs here sadly the people who need to watch it wont for silly reasons ~,~

Thats a great video, even if it is for... League of Legends. Great addition, I'll add it to the guide

Level completed: 96%, Points required for next Level: 30
    Achievements:
    Tagger Third Class Repped! Third Class 1 year registered 1000 Experience Points
    Hey, I was already warding these spots. :O Yay! Although, I find that I'm the one doing most of the warding in my games for some reason. >_> I especially like warding the mid XP camps so mid lane can see when people are trying to come in and gank. I didn't think about warding that high above the gold fury though, I'll keep that in mind.
    “Game shows are designed to make us feel better about the random, useless facts that are all we have left of our education.”

― Chuck Palahniuk, Invisible Monsters

Junior Member Senior Cupidhead SereneSouls's Avatar
    Level completed: 57%, Points required for next Level: 215
    I love the guides with pictures! Nice work dude
    SereneSouls

Achievements:
    Bump for new players. Also, does this need to be updated? Feedback is welcome.
    #HailSatan