Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Tilt: What it is, recognizing it in yourself, and dealing with it

New Member Cupidhead Furrymessiah's Avatar
    Level completed: 77%, Points required for next Level: 164
    Achievements:
    1 year registered 1000 Experience Points

Tilt: What it is, recognizing it in yourself, and dealing with it

A lot of people may be confused or unclear as to the concept of tilt/tilting, and how it can adversely affect your gameplay, your attitude, and your enjoyment of playing Smite. Many players of MOBA's, not just Smite, get into the situation where they're tilting or about to, and don't recognize the signs of it effecting them. As a Smite player that suffers from tilt, I felt the it was time to write a comprehensive post on the subject, and how avoiding tilt, or at the very least realizing when you're about to tilt, will help you play a better game.

The concept of Tilt in a MOBA setting is borrowed from poker, especially high-stakes poker. To quote Wikipedia, Tilt is, "A state of mental or emotional confusion or frustration in which a player adopts a less than optimal strategy, usually resulting in the player becoming over-aggressive....It is a relatively frequent occurrence due to frustration, animosity against other players, or simply bad luck." To put it in simpler terms, it's when you lose your cool in a match and start making mistakes. Unfortunately, due to psychological projection, a person is often more likely to blame something (or anything) other than themselves for negative outcomes--this is where you get situations like ADC's blaming their supports when they die, or the team blaming their jungler for failed ganks--and a person who is experiencing tilt may suffer from this projection more vehemently, to the point where they disrupt or outright ruin the game for the rest of their team. Though not as commonly acknowledged, it is also possible to go on "Winner's tilt" as a result of doing well. Strong positive emotions can be just as detrimental to one's play as negative ones.

Now that we've established what Tilt is, we have to learn to recognize it in ourselves. For me personally, I have learned--through hundreds of hours of gameplay--that specific feeling of frustration that is going to cause me to start playing sub-optimally. I've learned to pick up on the cues that tell me when I need to calm down. Dying a lot isn't the only thing that leads to tilting. Failing a gank, falling behind of gold or XP, losing objectives, being forced back to tower, perceived (and real) misplays by your teammates, trolls on your team, BM directed at you, and even something as small as a teammate taking your preferred buff, all of these things can snowball, over time and successive matches, until you've lost your cool, gotten reckless, and started BM'ing your team.

Don't think that I'm a saint, mind you; I still tilt. Nobody's perfect, and I get frustrated easily, both with myself and with other players. The difference is that I've grown aware of it, and do my best to mitigate it's negative effects. And so should you.

How does one stop tilt from happening, or get out of tilt once they realize they're in it? Post-match, it's simple. You get up, leave the computer, and return when you've cooled down. When you're away from the, take time to go to the bathroom. Eat or drink something. Go outside and get in the fresh air. It may only take you five minutes to center yourself. For me, it takes about 30-45 minutes once I'm full tilt. Remember, stepping away from the game is much better outcome than a ragequit.

In-game is another story. Here you can't walk away for five minutes and expect to come back to a good match. When you're in the middle of a game and you feel yourself starting to tilt, do a hard reset. Get to a safe place, back to the fountain, and take a deep breath. Clear your mind, and think about what you're doing. Notice the negative aspects you're allowing to creep into your play, whether it's bad positioning, or taking too much damage, or getting greedy with kills. Hit Tab and see how your team is doing. Think about what you can do to help them win, or help them catch up if they're behind. Maybe you could rotate more or faster. Maybe it's time to stop farming and group up for a GF or gank. Maybe you need MORE farm to catch up. Once you've critically assessed the current situation, get back out there with a calm mind. Don't let anger and frustration get the better of you, and if it tries, know when to pull back. An extra 20-30 seconds in the base to stop the downward spiral that is tilt can completely turn a game around.

Over and above learning the meta, learning roles and Gods and item builds, the elimination or minimization of tilt is an essential improvement that can be made in play. Recognizing when it's happening to you and preventing it from going any farther will significantly enhance your performance in Smite.

That being said, how do you deal with tilt? What are your triggers that cause you to lose your cool? Have you helped a teammate on tilt to get back to normal, and if so, how did you do it? I'm curious to see what your replies will be.

Level completed: 46%, Points required for next Level: 271
    You could just say making mistakes instead of "tilting". It sounds similar to "tweaking". In other words, ignorant.

Junior Member Senior Cupidhead NorthPaladin's Avatar
    Level completed: 34%, Points required for next Level: 331
    Meh, people raging over failures is common enough. I myself stopped playing after the Nu Wa rework left a negative feeling which resulted in my complete and utter unwillingness to play whenever someone played her on my team. Not the enemy team though, since killing her was exceptionally satisfying and accompanied with extremely harsh language shouted at the screen to vent my frustration at the incredible level of failure on the rework team's part.

Eventually I felt sick whenever I queued up, which is when I terminated Smite from my PC and started playing less sickening games until Hi-Rez realizes their rework was a mistake and they do something to make it less annoying. And I mean her appearance and voice, her skills are fine; people just need to harden up and take the fact that she is now a straight forward derpmage who can't just backdoor kill a titan or towers. That I actually applaud because backdooring imho is one of the most frustrating things that can happen during a game and I've reported every single person backdooring I've come across.

Oh and yes I just check the forum to continue expressing my disdain about the rework.
    Every time a Nu Wa dies, Freddy Mercury fist pumps.

Senior Member Prestigious RippleApple's Avatar
    Level completed: 7%, Points required for next Level: 1,307
    Achievements:
    Tagger Third Class Full Profile! Repped! Third Class Repped! First Class 10000 Experience Points
    It's more like temporary mental instability actually. You get so worked up you get greedy. I usually make the right calls though. I'm just kind of erratic so unless I'm talking with my team through curse or skype or whatever they usually don't quite understand what I'm going for.

A side-effect of fooling your enemy is making it difficult for standard tactics to work successfully, so people that only know standard tactics can't follow up with standard tactics.

Senior Member Chosen GoldenSkill's Avatar
    Level completed: 99%, Points required for next Level: 13
    Achievements:
    1 year registered Repped! Third Class 5000 Experience Points
    after the swk nerf. they changed his playstyle to something better balanced.
    i know i sometimes get mad because of this.. because he was my main.
    i realized he got tons of counter-play. but in the end.. they wasn't that strong.
    but the real thing he is rly balanced right now :P

i just hate it when ppl with low health run away with rly low hp and my 1 is not enough to kill them.
    but now i got used to it. and i made a new build that can help his dps rly well and in the same time, being tanky with good resistance. qin is rly.. a great item xD
    fair enough i guess.. my mistake
    but i hate playing conq with him. for soloq.. there are better picks.
    one of my favorite defensive items.. winged blade
    Last edited by GoldenSkill; 09-04-2014 at 02:50 PM.
    how to win games:
    1. understand the meta.
    2. pick an op god.
    3. master him.
    4. spam VEL.
    the game will never be balanced.
    u got an awesome balance team there hi-rez

Senior Member Prestigious RippleApple's Avatar
    Level completed: 7%, Points required for next Level: 1,307
    Achievements:
    Tagger Third Class Full Profile! Repped! Third Class Repped! First Class 10000 Experience Points
    Try jungling with Sun Wukong. He has tons of utility, survivability and mobility. Rather than taking kills himself he tends to set up kills for others to take.

Senior Member Chosen GoldenSkill's Avatar
    Level completed: 99%, Points required for next Level: 13
    Achievements:
    1 year registered Repped! Third Class 5000 Experience Points
    Quote Originally Posted by RippleApple View Post
    Try jungling with Sun Wukong. He has tons of utility, survivability and mobility. Rather than taking kills himself he tends to set up kills for others to take.
    umm .. i don't rly like jungling. solo used to be my place. but i'll do it
    how to win games:
    1. understand the meta.
    2. pick an op god.
    3. master him.
    4. spam VEL.
    the game will never be balanced.
    u got an awesome balance team there hi-rez

Level completed: 9%, Points required for next Level: 824
    Achievements:
    1000 Experience Points 1 year registered Repped! Third Class
    Peoples love raging.

In Smite everyone know that even a very bad game could be won with a single Team fight but it's better to flame and start the surrender-vote-loop. Yesterday I did this match:
    https://account.hirezstudios.com/smi...match=95248778

36 minutes of game where after 10 minutes the surrender-loop started.
    Enemies destroied all our towers, we destroyed 1 tower only: minute 34 start a TF, we win the TF, destroyed 2 mid towers, pheonix and GG the Titan.

F7
    -o-

Junior Member Cupidhead XX0wnsXY's Avatar
    Level completed: 96%, Points required for next Level: 36
    Achievements:
    1000 Experience Points Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeyM97 View Post
    You could just say making mistakes instead of "tilting". It sounds similar to "tweaking". In other words, ignorant.
    playing "on tilt" is a perfectly acceptable term. I don't know why you chose to nitpick this out of his entire (and quite useful, i might say) post. It's a term that I often used myself, as I know what the term means and it's applicable. Calling something ignorant because it "sounds" like something, is in itself, ignorant.
    http://www.twitch.tv/XX0wnsXY
    -may contain tons of foul language and rage. I don't apologize

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    If you were a beautiful sound in the echos all around, I'd be your harmony.

Level completed: 46%, Points required for next Level: 271
    Quote Originally Posted by XX0wnsXY View Post
    playing "on tilt" is a perfectly acceptable term. I don't know why you chose to nitpick this out of his entire (and quite useful, i might say) post. It's a term that I often used myself, as I know what the term means and it's applicable. Calling something ignorant because it "sounds" like something, is in itself, ignorant.
    Well let me first start out by saying I didn't call anyone ignorant. I said the term sounded ignorant in my opinion. Second of all I do agree that the post was helpful. I just feel like we could use a better term to describe it