Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2 10 11 12

Thread: Ares Feedback Thread

Level completed: 60%, Points required for next Level: 367
    Achievements:
    3 months registered 1000 Experience Points Tagger Third Class Repped! Third Class
    Awards:
    Guide
    Quote Originally Posted by KAKLAW View Post
    His two is so lacklustre. Can they at least change it to play along with his kit because having a buff like that that needs to be leveled early when chains and fire are a higher priotity is wasting it.
    I've always took the way you use the 2 as to chain their tank to try to force a back to harass the adc, then 2 to help you with that very thing.

Senior Member Honoured FeistyDeity's Avatar
    Level completed: 1%, Points required for next Level: 794
    Achievements:
    1000 Experience Points Repped! Third Class 1 year registered
    Bolster Defences works well on Ares because it synergizes with Witchblade and Sovereignty, two of the best items Ares can get. Those two combined with BD is a LOT of AoE damage mitigation.

Level completed: 33%, Points required for next Level: 738
    Achievements:
    5000 Experience Points Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by DD321123 View Post
    I've always took the way you use the 2 as to chain their tank to try to force a back to harass the adc, then 2 to help you with that very thing.
    He can be stunned or cc'd during his non- ult intation to render his dps kinda low. Remeber that he has to invest way more in his methods comapred to 3+2 Ymir, Athena since his engage duration (time it takes for him to dump every thing in a standard non-ult initiation) is much longer then every other guardian asides from Cabrakan's which is much longer then Ares'.

Quote Originally Posted by FeistyDeity View Post
    Bolster Defences works well on Ares because it synergizes with Witchblade and Sovereignty, two of the best items Ares can get. Those two combined with BD is a LOT of AoE damage mitigation.
    But he can't level it fast to abuse it to it's fullest. Apollo can level his Serenade 2nd and abuse the mez+protections to its fullest in that skills most important part of the game Ares has to level his other two skills first since he NEEDS the damage to stay relevant since it's the only thing going for him. 20 protections is nice but it kinda falls off fast unless the amount goes higher through leveling and it's dependant on shackles for the additional protections to bring it up to par. On top of that he has no mobility so he's still easy to pick off since he can't dash away or jump to safety.

Senior Member Honoured FeistyDeity's Avatar
    Level completed: 1%, Points required for next Level: 794
    Achievements:
    1000 Experience Points Repped! Third Class 1 year registered
    Quote Originally Posted by KAKLAW View Post
    But he can't level it fast to abuse it to it's fullest. Apollo can level his Serenade 2nd and abuse the mez+protections to its fullest in that skills most important part of the game Ares has to level his other two skills first since he NEEDS the damage to stay relevant since it's the only thing going for him. 20 protections is nice but it kinda falls off fast unless the amount goes higher through leveling and it's dependant on shackles for the additional protections to bring it up to par. On top of that he has no mobility so he's still easy to pick off since he can't dash away or jump to safety.
    Don't get me wrong, I kind of see where you're coming from. But look at it this way:

1. It's his lowest priority skill. You shouldn't expect your "least important" skill to have the biggest impact.
    2. It's pretty good as a one-point investment (even though I only take it at lvl 6 myself). Twenty protections are good at the early stages of the game, but they never become useless. If a 20 protections party buff (with added protection against cc) wasn't a huge deal Sovereignty wouldn't be THE item every support needs to get.
    3. Lategame, 40 protections plus the 20 from your Sov is already a 60 protections party buff. That is quite a lot. If your an offensive god low on penetration items, 60 additional protections will nullify a LOT of your damage output. Add to it the 25 power and 15% as reduction aura from witchblade (which Ares makes better use of than any other guardian anyway) and you can provide a LOT of mitigation to your team.

It's often said that Ares isn't viable as a support because he trades peel for damage, but while he's not great at keeping his enemies away from his allies his ability to mitigate the damage they take is significantly higher than other supports' (Cabraken's passive doesn't come close to what BD's protections and cc reduction do).

I feel BD is underrated because its effects are almost invisible. When you barely miss out on kills you won't always realize: "Oh, they have a Sov + WB built Ares with BD active!" You will realize when another support taunts or freezes you off your target. Which is why they LOOK much more potent than Ares's buffs. And I'll admit they ARE, but Ares's mitigation skills aren't USELESS.

Junior Member Cupidhead JobCorp's Avatar
    Level completed: 10%, Points required for next Level: 360
    Ares needs all new skills imo, I would love to be able to play as Ares without falling asleep.