Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Let's talk about the forums

Senior Member Chosen JesusHatesYou's Avatar
    Level completed: 67%, Points required for next Level: 433
    Achievements:
    10000 Experience Points Conversation Starter Reputation Distributor Tagger First Class! Tagger Master Class

Post Let's talk about the forums

I originally posted this to reddit, but it seemed appropriate to put it here too.

I don't want this to turn into a circlejerk/hatefest for reddit or forums. In my mind, they both have their purpose, and I fully intend to use both on a regular basis.

Here is what I would like to address:

While I understand that the forums are still under development, they are getting A LOT of traffic. Given this, I think a little more moderation/staff activity is needed.

As of right now, /u/DryBear is the official Moderator of the forums. He has been visibly active but obviously can't do everything himself. /u/HiRezKabir and /u/HiRezKate have been very active in responding to community feedback and have been doing a great job. /u/HiRezStew was rather active at first, but has fallen off in the past week, probably because hes busy having a job or something like that.

Let me be clear. I do not fault HiRez for not being more active. They clearly stated that they were not prepared for this amount of traffic at this point. That's fine. However, Wednesday's Patch notes have not yet been posted to the forums, when they have been posted since Tuesday on /r/Smite and /r/Smitepatch (thank you for keeping that up /u/HiRezKate).

Given that the forums are the OFFICIAL WEBSITE for the game, I feel that this is a little silly. Reddit is great for getting the word out, but forums are great for keeping information long term. Posting the patch notes on the forums makes a more official record that is easier to turn to for reference down the road. Numerous threads have been started on the forums about this. I fully understand not completely moderating the forums yet, but posting the patch notes is a very simple task. One that a bot could be set to do automatically.

TL;DR - The forums are "live", but lacking active participation from HiRez. Because the forums are still under development, this is ok, but simple tasks such as posting patch notes should be done.

EDIT: DryBear has uploaded the patch notes as of now. Thanks for listening!
    Last edited by JesusHatesYou; 04-24-2014 at 07:16 AM.

Senior Member Honoured MikalMirkas's Avatar
    Level completed: 78%, Points required for next Level: 202
    Achievements:
    1000 Experience Points Tagger Second Class Repped! Third Class 1 year registered
    Bumping for awareness.

tl;dr i agree
    Quote Originally Posted by Anonymous
    Sometimes I can't tell whether MikalMirkas is being intentionally stupid or if he's just trolling. Does anyone actually read his walls of text? I'm scared to read them because he might just say something stupid like HL3 Confirmed at the end of it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rudoss
    I think it is fine because I do not think.
    PM me if you need mechanic explanation or forum halp.

Senior Member Honoured Lefargon's Avatar
    Level completed: 94%, Points required for next Level: 48
    Achievements:
    Tagger Third Class 1000 Experience Points Repped! Third Class 1 year registered
    Spot on, maybe add a link to the reddit thread?

Achievements:
    10000 Experience Points Conversation Starter Reputation Distributor Tagger First Class! Tagger Master Class
    Quote Originally Posted by Lefargon View Post
    Spot on, maybe add a link to the reddit thread?
    Good suggestion, taken care of.

Note that DryBear did post the patch notes shortly after this post.

Junior Member Cupidhead DarthCupcakes's Avatar
    Level completed: 41%, Points required for next Level: 419
    Achievements:
    1 year registered 1000 Experience Points
    Does anyone know when the forum is going to go live, officially? I can take a beta game, but beta forums? ;_; I want to know when I should transition over here from /r/smite.

Achievements:
    1000 Experience Points Tagger Second Class Repped! Third Class 1 year registered
    Quote Originally Posted by DarthCupcakes View Post
    Does anyone know when the forum is going to go live, officially? I can take a beta game, but beta forums? ;_; I want to know when I should transition over here from /r/smite.
    There'll be an announcement on /r/Smite when it's up, I believe.
    Sometimes I can't tell whether MikalMirkas is being intentionally stupid or if he's just trolling. Does anyone actually read his walls of text? I'm scared to read them because he might just say something stupid like HL3 Confirmed at the end of it.

Senior Member Honoured Aximundi's Avatar
    Level completed: 89%, Points required for next Level: 91
    Achievements:
    1000 Experience Points Repped! Third Class 1 year registered
    Im sure Drybear will be more active after he works out moving and everything hes finally back on smite game so hopefully means hes close to being able to be around more.
    Would have been nice to see a temp mod or mods to stop threads like the once a day aphro crap but eh what can you do.
    Color my life with the chaos of trouble

Achievements:
    Quote Originally Posted by Aximundi View Post
    Im sure Drybear will be more active after he works out moving and everything hes finally back on smite game so hopefully means hes close to being able to be around more.
    Would have been nice to see a temp mod or mods to stop threads like the once a day aphro crap but eh what can you do.
    lots

there is lots we can do

such as nothing but bitch and moan

Level completed: 19%, Points required for next Level: 894
    Achievements:
    Tagger Second Class Repped! Third Class 1 year registered Conversation Starter 5000 Experience Points
    There is a problem with these forums. The threads become obsolete very soon. One can see how many threads are out there just for people seeking clans and vice-versa. I don't feel like bumping my thread (if I can find where it is xD) even for a genuine reason bcz there are too many threads created on the similar topic after my thread, so it's unfair and unethical if I bump mine. One day I can keep track of my stuff the other day I don't know where it is. I can't see a way out through this to make this site more useful and user-friendly.
    Fun and Heart

IGN:arka222
    My Vulcan Guide:http://www.smitefire.com/smite/guide...e-of-grit-4029
    Our clan site: www.smitefire.com (SMFG)

Achievements:
    Quote Originally Posted by arka222 View Post
    There is a problem with these forums. The threads become obsolete very soon. One can see how many threads are out there just for people seeking clans and vice-versa. I don't feel like bumping my thread (if I can find where it is xD) even for a genuine reason bcz there are too many threads created on the similar topic after my thread, so it's unfair and unethical if I bump mine. One day I can keep track of my stuff the other day I don't know where it is. I can't see a way out through this to make this site more useful and user-friendly.
    Tags. Tag your posts, and tag them well. The search function is going to become infinitely useful as these forums age. The best way to find a post will be knowing what it was tagged as. I'm trying my best to tag every post that goes up, but it's just not possible. Things like this would help.