Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: How To Forum: Smite Forums Edition

Senior Member Honoured MikalMirkas's Avatar
    Level completed: 78%, Points required for next Level: 202
    Achievements:
    1000 Experience Points Tagger Second Class Repped! Third Class 1 year registered

Question How To Forum: Smite Forums Edition

hay so i figured there's a lot of stuff about the forums that people don't know so i might as well write a post about it, mhmk?

so pretty much everyone knows the core features (posting, private messaging, all that jazz) that's global on every single forum but it seems to me that rarely anyone knows how to use the other features. This thread is subject to change as there's so much to tackle that this is just taking a big chunk of what's different in this new software.

So without further adieu:

Table of Contents: (CTRL+F to skip to a section using the words inside the brackets - the string inside them will only be used twice inside the document for easy navigation)

1. What's Different About This Forum? [SFWDO]
      1. Threading [SFWTH]
      2. vBExperience [SFWVB]

2. User Profile [SFUSR]
      1. Global Options [SFUGO]
      2. Customization [SFUCU]

3. Threads [SFTHR]
      1. Thread Rating [SFTTR]
      2. Multiquoting [SFTMQ]
      3. Reputation System [SFTRQ]
      4. Report System [SFTRS]
      5. Tagging [SFTTS]

WDATF? [SFWDO]

So you're probably wondering how this forum software is different from Reddit and PHPBB. Let me be your guide~

Threading [SFWVB]

So this is a traditional forum software with normal threading systems and posts are organized by date and not by user feedback or the like.

vBExperience [SFWVB]

Quote Originally Posted by Phalynx
    vBExperience is your free feature packaged solution for motivating your users. vBExperience is an advanced and highly customizable level/promotion and activity measure system with awards, achievements, promotions and activities. It will calculate an activity and experience score for every user based on their activites on the forum. Now your users will see how their level is increasing by participating on your forum.

Communities are not only defined by post count, they need much more parameters: Are the postings the user creates helpful? Are his threads frequently read? Does the user participate on the community by posting pictures, attachments, leaving visitor messages, tagging threads? How can the user's activitiy be compared to others? All this can be answered with this mod. Additionally your users get awards and collect achievements for beeing active on your board.
    Click here
    or here for more information. You get points for basically everything, from viewing posts to rating threads.

User Profile [SFUSR]

Global Options [SFUGO]

You can edit your options such as Thread Subscriptions in the link above. Not much to say other than you can click it and the forums explain the options for you.

Customization [SFUCU]

You can edit your avatar, signature and all other options in your User Profile Settings. If you have no avatar, your avatar will be Cupid by default. If you have no signature, then a signature won't appear underneath your posts (and you can make your signature not show in posts in addition).
    Threads [SFTHR]

Thread Rating [SFTTR]

In the top right-hand corner of the thread you can rate the thread on a scale of one to five stars. If you need your rating fix, here it is.

Multiquoting [SFTMQ]

You can press this button to queue multiple posts for queueing so you don't have to post multiple posts and flood the thread with your mindless blabble. Once you're done queueing posts up, just click the reply button.

Reputation System [SFTRQ]

See this image?

It's available on the bottom lefthand corner of every post (excluding yours). You can reward people anonymously for making good posts and punish bads for shitposting, depending on your Rep Power. You can see a user's reputation power in their postbit (underneath their forum avatar). You can only award certain individuals so much rep in a certain amount of time to avoid reputation abuse, so keep using the system to get more experience and to refresh the limitations of who you can give rep.

If you have x rep power and give someone rep, then you will give them +x points and the same applies for taking points away. If you have 0 rep power, you can't take away rep.

If you were given/deducted rep, you can see the 5 most recent usages of it by people who have used it on your posts and you.

If you have a green icon in your report, it means you were given positive reputation.
    If you have a grey icon in your report, it means you were given positive reputation by those with less than one rep power. This does not increase your reputation.
    If you have a red icon in your report, it means you were given negative reputation. U dun goofed.

Report System [SFTRS]

At the bottom lefthand corner of each post (including yours), you've got this handy little icon: . This sends you to report.php, which allows you to send reports to the moderators and administrators. They get it in their control panel, so it may take a while for them to respond.

Tagging [SFTTS]

Tagging is a free and easy way to earn reputation. It also makes it easier for the forum backend to find posts. It's located underneath the threads, near the quick reply box.

If I missed anything or if there's something I haven't explained properly, let me know in the posts below.
    Last edited by MikalMirkas; 04-12-2014 at 10:34 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Anonymous
    Sometimes I can't tell whether MikalMirkas is being intentionally stupid or if he's just trolling. Does anyone actually read his walls of text? I'm scared to read them because he might just say something stupid like HL3 Confirmed at the end of it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rudoss
    I think it is fine because I do not think.
    PM me if you need mechanic explanation or forum halp.

Senior Member Chosen JesusHatesYou's Avatar
    Level completed: 67%, Points required for next Level: 433
    Achievements:
    10000 Experience Points Conversation Starter Reputation Distributor Tagger First Class! Tagger Master Class
    I'm interested in how a rating effects your points. 5 stars gives you 50 points right? But do you get that every time a user rates your post or just for having a thread that is at 5 stars. So if you had a 5 star post, and someone else rates it a 3, would you lose or gain points? Do you get points for 1 star rating?

Achievements:
    1000 Experience Points Tagger Second Class Repped! Third Class 1 year registered
    Quote Originally Posted by JesusHatesYou View Post
    I'm interested in how a rating effects your points. 5 stars gives you 50 points right? But do you get that every time a user rates your post or just for having a thread that is at 5 stars. So if you had a 5 star post, and someone else rates it a 3, would you lose or gain points? Do you get points for 1 star rating?
    Incorrect.

Rating a thread gives you one point. Your actual thread rating isn't accounted for.
    Sometimes I can't tell whether MikalMirkas is being intentionally stupid or if he's just trolling. Does anyone actually read his walls of text? I'm scared to read them because he might just say something stupid like HL3 Confirmed at the end of it.

Achievements:
    10000 Experience Points Conversation Starter Reputation Distributor Tagger First Class! Tagger Master Class
    Quote Originally Posted by MikalMirkas View Post
    Incorrect.

Rating a thread gives you one point. Your actual thread rating isn't accounted for.
    It says "Points for Votes on own Thread. 10 points.

Achievements:
    It says "Points for Votes on own Thread. 10 points.
    IIRC, that's for polls.

EDIT: Actually, no. The addon is incorrect. You're right. I have points for it and I've never made a poll yet.

From what I see, the vote itself is irrelevant. As long as you get a vote, you get 10 points. It looks like there's 14 "votes" in my threads, and as such I get 140 points. I might be wrong though and you might get 10pts per star.

I'll e-mail Phalynx and see if he can fix it in a later release.
    Last edited by MikalMirkas; 04-05-2014 at 07:43 PM.

Achievements:
    IIRC, that's for polls.

EDIT: Actually, no. The addon is incorrect. You're right. I have points for it and I've never made a poll yet.

From what I see, the vote itself is irrelevant. As long as you get a vote, you get 10 points. It looks like there's 14 "votes" in my threads, and as such I get 140 points. I might be wrong though and you might get 10pts per star.

I'll e-mail Phalynx and see if he can fix it in a later release.
    I'll get random 50 point boosts, so I think its 10 per star, but I also lost 16 points this morning, so I think it's based on the overall score of the thread.

Achievements:
    I'll get random 50 point boosts, so I think its 10 per star, but I also lost 16 points this morning, so I think it's based on the overall score of the thread.
    oh wot

You can check on your rep page.

As of this post, I have 140 points for votes.

I have four stars + five stars + five stars so that's 14 stars in total so 140 points.

So you're probably right.

Achievements:
    oh wot

You can check on your rep page.

As of this post, I have 140 points for votes.

I have four stars + five stars + five stars so that's 14 stars in total so 140 points.

So you're probably right.
    Yeah, A friend and I tested. I had a thread at 5 stars, he rated it 3 to bring it down to 4, I lost 10 points.

Achievements:
    Yeah, A friend and I tested. I had a thread at 5 stars, he rated it 3 to bring it down to 4, I lost 10 points.
    Ah, so we have it confirmed. Great.

I know that vBulletin handles rating as a double and rounds it, so it's anywhere between 0.0 and 5.0 so losing 16 or 10 points is possible.

Achievements:
    Ah, so we have it confirmed. Great.

I know that vBulletin handles rating as a double and rounds it, so it's anywhere between 0.0 and 5.0 so losing 16 or 10 points is possible.
    I think you mean int, not double. Doubles have a shit ton of precision points.