Thread: Getting better at the hunter role

Junior Member Cupidhead ZombifiedGamer's Avatar
    Level completed: 14%, Points required for next Level: 431

Getting better at the hunter role

Hi everyone,

So I've been playing for about 6 months now, and concider myself to be good and nderstand the game as a whole, I have 45 masteries and all my hunters are at least lvl 1.

I really want to get better at this role and would like to make it my main role, but I some times make the wrong decisions, how do you all like take that step back anddecide what the wrong decision was. Or was it the right decision just executed wrong. What are the most important general things a hunter should do or focus on? When should i get involved in team fights? any tips or opinions would be nice.

Thnak you all in advance for the help.

Retired Super Moderator Prestigious KingScuba's Avatar
    Level completed: 9%, Points required for next Level: 1,547
    Achievements:
    Arm of the Law! Full Profile! Tagger First Class! Reputation Distributor Tagger Master Class
    Awards:
    Master Tagger
    each hunter is different in how you position and attack, so no advice will be able to relate to them all at once. Almost every god should get the starter item deaths toll, except neith, who should focus on transcendence immediately since she has her lifesteal skill to rely on.

AMC : Generally you want to level 4 3 1 2, use your 3 to clear waves. Build lifesteal > crit > Atk speed, and use your 1 to attack and keep pressure. Early game he needs to stay behind and poke a little with honey if possible. If the enemy gets too close, then wallop them with basics while staying away from ranged minions.

Anhur : Skill build is 2 1 3 4, 2 points into 4, 1 point into 3, and then ignore since they drop off too much. The main bread and butter is the 3>2>1>4 combo, so anhur is a single god burst. He has the best AA initiate early gamedue to his passive, so you can bait unwary players into a fight and destroy them if you can harass them and then impale them on the wall when they figure out you're stronger. Anhur is Lifesteal > atk speed > crit normally.

Apollo : Personally I hate apollo. I feel he's more limited than other gods. Everyone else feels differently and places him in the A tier and such. Skill build is 4 1 2 3 for defensive and 4 1 3 2 for offensive apollo. You can use your dash and ult for offense or defense, so split pushing with him is extremely safe since your ult basically acts like a RTB card. As with most ADC, he's not worth much early game, and only shines late game. Generally Lifesteal > Atk Speed > Crit is the item build.

Artemis : Skill build of 3 > 2 > 4 > 1 or 3 > 4 > 2 > 1. Your 3 is your main bread and butter. You want to poke as much as you can with it. my 6 level skill build tree follows the skip pattern. So I build 3 > 1 > 3 > Nothing > 3 + 4 > 2. That extra damage from getting that extra skill point early can be devastating for the enemy. You want to stay back and continuously poke and run with your 3. if you attack the enemy minion line running at you 3 times whiile they're running towards your line, you can hit every minion with your 3. Item wise, you can do Lifesteal > CDR > ATK spd > Crit or Lifesteal > Atk speed > Crit or Lifesteal > Crit > Atk speed. So builds with artemis vary. I recommend getting Deathbringer first instead of rage, due to artemis's passive of 15% crit chance.

Cupid : 4 > 1 > 3 > 2 for offensive, 4 > 1 > 2 > 3 for defensive. You pretty much want to hit the minions 10 times, then hearbomb an enemy god to keep up your poke. Get lifesteal early and have your support pick up your hearts so you get a free skill while allowing him to be aggressive. You pretty much want to keep this skill on CD. when on the attack, you can treat your 3 as a steroid and initiation for speed + atk speed, or an escape, so use it wisely. Usually you want Lifesteal > Atk speed > crit on cupid.

Neith : Skill build of 4 > 1 > 2 > 3 is normal. First item is always Transcendence since she gets lifesteal from unravel. I prefer to lose the 5 power in order to speed build trans usually. You want to leave broken weaves all over, in order to stop enemy agression and clear waves faster. leave it in the middle of the lane, and you can 1 shot an entire minion wave easy early game since you get 100% extra damage Plus the arrow shot through the enemy wave. Or you can use the weave to heal yourself for twice as much as your normal unravel is. use your backflip only when your jungle is clear. You need an extra escape ability, so combat blink or sprint is highly recommended. You can build neith any way you want really, with crits, addition lifesteal, or atk speed up front, but you need that trans first.

Rama : Skill Build of 4 > 2 > 1 > 3 is what I've found effective. Keep your 2 on Cooldown pretty much that way you can keep initiating with 1. When you go on the attack, you want a full quiver and toggle 1 to keep the enemy up close. Heavy hammer works nicely on him as a 3rd item. Usually you keep him as lifesteal > crit > atk speed

Ullr : I never got the hang of him really, so no advice to give on him. Smitefire.com it.

Xbalanque : Xba can snowball harder than any other hunter, and has the most late game power available since his passive acts like a 7th item. Skill build is 4 > 2 > 3 > 1. You want to clear and poke with the 2, but if you see a chance, hit the enemy with a 3 if they're poisoned since it's worth half of their hp bar if you combo them. Poison dmg is worth much more dmg than your 3, so that's why you always level 2 first. You can build him in a myriad of ways, but a standard is Lifesteal > atk speed > crit.
    Disclaimer: I am a volunteer moderator. I work on best judgement and do not speak on behalf of Hi-Rez Studios. Also I will not be able to contest your in-game ban.

Junior Member Cupidhead ZombifiedGamer's Avatar
    Level completed: 14%, Points required for next Level: 431
    You know what mate you are an absolute legend, I really appreciate all you've taken the time to right down and this will be a massive help.

Honestly thanks a lot for this.

Level completed: 87%, Points required for next Level: 122
    Achievements:
    Repped! Third Class Veteran 5000 Experience Points
    I'm not going to give out an advances guide like he did, but I feel for a hunter the most important thing is to know your limits and how to position yourself. Other than that it's mostly just hitting your AAs. Know how much damage you can do to whatever your opponent is at that point in the game because the hunter's damage rises so much throughout the course.
    Super SMITE Brothers: Melee!

Member Worshipper Demystificator's Avatar
    Level completed: 98%, Points required for next Level: 13
    Hunter needs to farm in early game.

Between 10-15min, you should start ganking (except with AMC, he's bad at ganking, he should focus on pushing and join teamfights as DPS source).
    Hunters are very great if not better than assassins to gank cause they have ranged CC.

You should never initiate teamfights, you're more a dps source and litterally hunting to people who try to run away.

Retired Super Moderator Prestigious KingScuba's Avatar
    Level completed: 9%, Points required for next Level: 1,547
    Achievements:
    Arm of the Law! Full Profile! Tagger First Class! Reputation Distributor Tagger Master Class
    Awards:
    Master Tagger
    Quote Originally Posted by Demystificator View Post
    Hunter needs to farm in early game.

Between 10-15min, you should start ganking (except with AMC, he's bad at ganking, he should focus on pushing and join teamfights as DPS source).
    Hunters are very great if not better than assassins to gank cause they have ranged CC.

You should never initiate teamfights, you're more a dps source and litterally hunting to people who try to run away.
    amc is very good at ganking my man. It's all in how you use your hives and honey. You need to use the honey to try and cut off their escape and line up to keep them in it as long as possible. This allows you to catch up while forcing them to stay in the fight. Hives work as a buff to AMC, similar to how artemis gets a steroid from her 2. Hives make you move and attack faster, so if you place them down correctly, the enemy is usually dead or near dead when they're out of range. At this point, you secure the kill with your ult, and Bang, easy kill. You need to be smarter than most players with AMC, since he has no CC really.

@ op, no problem man.
    Disclaimer: I am a volunteer moderator. I work on best judgement and do not speak on behalf of Hi-Rez Studios. Also I will not be able to contest your in-game ban.

Member Worshipper Demystificator's Avatar
    Level completed: 98%, Points required for next Level: 13
    The lack of CC making him less efficient against gods with escape. He sure can still gank but he may need an initiation from his mates whereas other hunters have their own initiation skill.

Level completed: 8%, Points required for next Level: 370
    You could also watch pro players stream, I main hunter as well, and I learned a TON from just watching zapman stream, the improval was extremely noticeable.

Junior Member Senior Cupidhead Theundyingchamp's Avatar
    Level completed: 72%, Points required for next Level: 116
    I think the most basic advice I could give you is learn how to aim. Basic attacks are going to be very important for hunters since most of their
    damage is from basic attacks. So really try to practice aiming
    When someone insults one's grammar they should be mindful of their own grammar.