Thread: Cthulu feedback and breakdown.

Level completed: 49%, Points required for next Level: 415
    Achievements:
    Veteran 1000 Experience Points

Cthulu feedback and breakdown.

Hi.
    So after playing Cthulu a bit I wanted to give me feedback on him. Overall he is strong, but I don't think he is as overpowered as a lot of people are saying, though he probably still deservs a nerf, and I want to go into a little more detail about his kit and how I feel about it. This will be a two part post because apparently it's too big to post as one message.

Passive ability: So this is the best place to start.Infecting people with insanity is fine by itself. There is one thing I would like to mention about it though. When you hit an enemy god they get an animation to say they have 1, 2 or 3 stacks currently. The animations changes when they reach insanity. The animation for this is quite difficult to tell apart without having a close look, personally. If I may, a change to this I would like is have an icon similar to Barons skull. Maybe have the Cthulu eye above the enemy at 1/4, 2/4 or 3/4 full. Then change to the actual insanity animation when they reach that stage.

This next part is about the metre starting at 20% going up to 30%. I know this works directly with his first ability, but I'm guessing it's part of his passive? Firstly, it took me a while to work out how to actually get the metre to go up. In the description is says when you "consume insanity". It doesn't say how to actually consume it. I realized that you can use your first ability when insnity is there to get it. I'm still not sure if this is only on the first ability. Secondary, The metre is actually quite difficult to reach 30% due to the nature of how you do it. Maybe it's easier to do if you play Cthulu in the solo lane, but outside of that it's difficult. I have never, and I've never saw a streamer pull off a 30% metre before. I've barely saw anyone reach the 25% mark. I feel this needs to be changed. Maybe infecting someone with insanity automatically gives you 1 stack? Maybe reducing the amount of stacks needed?

First ability This ability is actually fine. Yes it does high damage, but it's been stated that they want this god to be the bruiser styled god ala Cerberus and Jormungander, so by that means it's actually fine. In fact, in terms of damage it does a lot less than Cerberus' first ability, but it does have some utility to make up for that.

Second ability This is an interesting ability. It does a lot of damage as well as providing some CC. It strangely feels similar to Jormunganders ultimate ability to me, despite them being completely different. What I mean by that is when it's a 1v1, the ability is easy to dodge. The attack is delayed so once you see the animation starting that's your cue to move away before it even hits. You might land the first damage shot but they will be out before the second. In a team fight however this ability, similar to Jormungarders ultimate, becomes very strong. When they aren't focusing on you it's easy to cause disruption in a team fight. By playing this god in the solo lane, you can always get the Gem of Isolation to help with landing the second shot.
    Overall, I wouldn't be opposed to seeing this attack getting reduced by 10 damage at all ranks if you absolutely must do somethign to this attack, but I believe it is overall okay.

Third ability I've not found any issues with this attack so far. It's mostly a damage attack, similar to the movement abilities of Ceberus and Jormungander. While cerberus gets a heal with his jump, Jormungander gets a knockup as well as potential wiwth extra pools and stealth, Cthulu here just gets a stun at .4 seconds. It's base damage I believe is slightly higher than the other two, but I feel the .4 second stun while nice, is less potent than what the others have access to. I feel this attack is balanced.

Achievements:
    Ultimate ability This is where I believe the most balancing can come from. There are a lot of upsides as well downsides to this so this part might be a little longer. In terms of duration, I feel it could be reduced by a few seconds for reasons which I will further discuss in the ability part. It starts at 12 seconds working up to 16 seconds. I believe this ability could stay at 12 seconds across all levels. In terms of getting 30% of maximum HP, it's honestly fine. You're such a hugh target that you will be getting hit with more attacks to make up for it.

Firstly, I want to address the negative part about this ultimate because people seem to be in awe about how much abilities his kit has to really notice this. The main downside to this is absolutely it's size. It's size can be handy for things such as acting like a big ward, giving you vision across a lot of the map, but you are also a massive target. Due to this is can be difficult to avoid a lot of attacks that can usually be avoided. The CC of attacks won't effect Cthulu but the raw damage will, and because of this, AA based gods utilizing critical will absolute destroy him, and if Cthulu became popular in ranked or the SPL then I would bet that you will see a lot of two hunter teams appearing, provided hes that much of an issue. Attacks like Zeus's ultimate are problematic as well. It does high damage that you can't walk out of it as easy because you're probably still inside it even after moving.

Now I want to talk about the abilities he has within his ultimate

Ultimate's first ability Simply a swipe that does damage. High base damage with a protection reduction at 3%. I feel this can be nerfed a little, but there are two acceptable routes, personally. The first is to keep it's base damage and maybe reduce the 3% reduction to 2%, giving an overall 10% reduction instead of 15%. The other route would be to keep the 3% reduction but lowering damage. a 20 damage reduction at all ranks would seem fair again, personally.

Ultimate's second ability This for the most part is fine. It is a massive circle so it has lots of area to hit, but it is a delayed attack, similar to his second ability outrside of ultimate which gives an opportunity to avoid it. Gods with a leap can avoid it by using that or you can simply walk out if you are near the edge. It still causes a lot of disruption within a team fight but overall I think this is good as it is.

Ultimate's third ability This is potentially the most nerf requiring part of his kit, and the sole reason that his ultimate's duration might need to be reduced. The damage element of this attack is fine. It's not overly high and it's scaling is bad. The other effects are what really make this strong. For the cost of 6% of your maximum health, you can buff your team mates by 40 power, 20% movement speed and healing them for 14% of their health, at maximum level of course. It's the equivelant of using 3 strong relics on your teammates, as well as having access to the rest of his kit. I believe you could keep the power and movement speed the same but lower the healing to make this more balanced. I would like to refer to the shield geb uses. When he was released his shield gave insane amouts of shield. I believe it was % based as well but don't quote me on this. On top, this healing is actually better than the shield because a shield runs out, but the health will remain. To balance this ability I would like to see the % based healing removed altogether and replaced with something similar to the shell relic shield. Have a based healing number applied and then add so much more healing per level. I won't put numbers that I think are acceptable because I'm unable to test this, and this is also Hi Rez's job so it's the designers that should be doing it anyway. Overall I'd like to see this healing change, and I believe you could also reduce the power given to 30 as well as a movement speed reduction. The reason this ability is so strong however is that you can activate it more than once in the duration of his ultimate. Along with the changed I stated, I feel this should only be able to be used one time at it's current potency. Thus, increase the cooldown on this ability so that it can be used once or reduce the Ultimate overall so that it also works this way. Provided the ability is nerfed to be not as effective, I would not be opposed to have it remaining at more than one use.

Thank's for your time.
    Last edited by Link2212; 06-19-2020 at 03:55 AM.

Level completed: 72%, Points required for next Level: 225
    Achievements:
    1000 Experience Points Veteran
    I've read the text, but as i haven't played him, I don't exactly understand how he works.

Cthulu on his own is strong, but not too much. His main strength is to control the battlefield. And his ult makes him too good at that, for far too long.

I've been playing vs him as a support and i see why. He just makes guardians look like little kids. CC immunity, huge AOE's give him awesome peel and control.

Without his ult, it could be seen as a balanced trade off. But his ult just makes guardians look bad.

Maybe give him more opportunity to activate insanity and reduce the ult duration, so that guardians don't get thrown under the bus. But that's basically what you said as wel, just from my perspective.

Achievements:
    I do think they need to make it easier to use insanity. Maybe making it 3 stacks in stead of the 4 would suffice.

The ultimate is very strong though. Overall, the third ability in ultimate form is definitely on the higher end of the problem. Right now it is like walking into a 5v6 or 7 fight. It's the equivelant of using a sprint, 1-2 shells and a belt of frenzie all at one time. And you can do this multiple times within 16 seconds. The damage in his kit if more or less fine. It's just the amount of effects he has linked to them.

Senior Member Chosen RockerBaby's Avatar
    Level completed: 5%, Points required for next Level: 1,148
    Achievements:
    Repped! Third Class Full Profile! 5000 Experience Points Veteran
    Aha his ult has a third ability!

I think all your suggestions seems good.

The only thing I did really like playing him though was the base damage of his 1 with his ult. I mean a guardian with persistent backline damage like this we could have more of. Atleast chulu needs commit (looking at gensha). Works like Jorm yes but jorm has potential for less commit as well. Fairly easy to play around his animations but his 3 is a really cool tool I like it. I can see the 1 in ult needing a lower base dmg and maybe higher scaling to reward greedy builds cause even as full tank it hits hard. But I do want for smite to have a reliable pusher like this as a guardian I think the damage of the 1 should be very conservatively nerfed.

His normal kit was a bit meh to me. Given I don't fully understand its interaction. The fear on the 1 is really sweet and his push with 3 is nice but damage wasn't that interesting even with a power build. If the 1 in ult is nerfed I could see hit kit be just a little stronger.

I didn't understand how the 3 worked in ult, thought it was broken and forgot about it. But it sounds pretty good on paper the real deal breaker is the duration of the buff to me, in particular in regards to its MS buff. I read the notes, 3sec is fine I think, despite MS at 20% if it was longer it would be OP but 3 sec is pretty fine.

I like Chtulu fun aggressive Guardian whose rotations I probably swear to many times when I'm stuck in his 2 animation
    Last edited by RockerBaby; 06-20-2020 at 05:56 AM.
    Rocking the boat