Thread: [Suggestion] A simple way to reduce toxicity.

Junior Member Cupidhead Maevalyn's Avatar
    Level completed: 63%, Points required for next Level: 300
    Achievements:
    Veteran 1000 Experience Points

[Suggestion] A simple way to reduce toxicity.

The current system for surrendering is freaking awful. The second a surrender vote fails and the match has hit a point where it's beyond redemption (1 in a 100 match miracles notwithstanding), everyone involved starts playing the blame game and getting real toxic to each other. The worst part is when there are two holdouts that are specifically doing it, believing they are somehow punishing the rest of the team, which in turn just leads to more arguments and toxic behaviour. This then spills over after the match too.

I am not entire sure how to fix this, but there must be a way to change the surrender system to make it easier to surrender when a game has turned into a complete mess. I believe doing so would remove the vast majority of the toxicity and toxic behaviour in this game.

Level completed: 41%, Points required for next Level: 531
    Achievements:
    1000 Experience Points Veteran
    The surrender system had an update not that long ago, making it possible for a vote to go through if no one votes no.

That being said the system is the way it is to avoid troll votes as much as possible. Imagine if only 3 votes were needed for a surrender and you end up with 3 asshats who think its funny to surrender just before you win. You might think that would never happen but It would, you know it would.

Do people use the system to hold the rest of the team hostage in a losing game? Well yes, but at this point that is actually better than the alternative.
    Any typo or misspelling in the post above was done to emphasize my point and was therefore done on purpose, as such they will not be corrected.

Junior Member Cupidhead Maevalyn's Avatar
    Level completed: 63%, Points required for next Level: 300
    Achievements:
    Veteran 1000 Experience Points
    Quote Originally Posted by Armaroz View Post
    The surrender system had an update not that long ago, making it possible for a vote to go through if no one votes no.

That being said the system is the way it is to avoid troll votes as much as possible. Imagine if only 3 votes were needed for a surrender and you end up with 3 asshats who think its funny to surrender just before you win. You might think that would never happen but It would, you know it would.

Do people use the system to hold the rest of the team hostage in a losing game? Well yes, but at this point that is actually better than the alternative.
    2 people holding the rest of the team hostage while everyone gets more and more toxic is a much more likely outcome than 3 people troll voting. This does give me an idea though, where I feel the worse you are doing (gold disparity, kill disparity, etc...) the easier a surrender should be, a sliding scale. If your team is ahead with no d/c's or quitters, then maybe just make it impossible to even start a surrender vote? I mean it's not like anyone does surrender when they're team is ahead.

Personally, I feel that Hi-Rez has not performed adequately in any way in curbing the toxicity in this game. It feels like every year this game just gets more and more toxic. I just got out of a game where I was trying a new build for a god, and because I was double teamed early on and shut down, the enemy laner was able to get a couple levels on me, and it was downhill from there, and 3 of my teammates blamed the entire thing on my build... never mind the fact that the past several games using that same build I was top damage and kills on my team, then everyone started demanding they report me... keep in mind this was in a casual match... Things like that create an environment where people get anxiety about trying new things and that stifles their growth as a player. I love this game on so many levels, but I am getting to the point where I am just not sure if it's worth it.

I am older than the bulk majority who play this game, I am retired now and have a lot of time on my hands, it's nice to have something that can take up a good chunk of time, but do I really want to spend my time in a place where it truly and genuinely feels that I am not welcome? Do a good job, you get little to no recognition, you mess up even a little and all you get is a ton of shit all game.

Making surrenders easier in a losing game would reduce the toxicity quite a bit, and I think Hi-Rez should do whatever they can to reduce the toxicity in this community.

Member Worshipper
    Level completed: 32%, Points required for next Level: 756
    Achievements:
    5000 Experience Points Veteran Conversation Starter
    indeed. years ago i made a suggestion to make the surrender feature much better. can't remember where though.

i also made a petition for an F6 icon, like how there is an F7 one. apparently hi rez was too scared and cowardly to make one.

http://forums.smitegame.com/showthre...6-Loading-Icon