Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Explanation to the 1-0 TSM start

Level completed: 68%, Points required for next Level: 228
    Achievements:
    1000 Experience Points Repped! Third Class 1 year registered

Explanation to the 1-0 TSM start

I posted this on reddit, but wanted to put it here as well.

I noticed on twitch many people were complaining about TSM getting a free auto point on Dignitas, and how it 'wasn't fair'. In reality, it is not only fair, but completely necessary.

In a double elimination tourney, there is a winner and a loser bracket. Therefore, a team must lose two games to be knocked out.

If we were playing single game sets, TSM would be 4-0 going into the final, and dig would be 4(?)-1 going in. So, to be eliminated (by losing two games), dig needs to lose once, but TSM must lose TWICE.

In a series, like we have here, playing two best of 3 series would take hours. Instead, TSM fought for and received by going undefeated a one game advantage, which is the upper bracket winner's prize for going undefeated.

TL;DR TSM needs two losses in double elim, dig only needs one, so quit complaining.

Congrats to TSM to dominating and clearly showing their superiority! Good job to all who competed!
    Yo bebi pantaloons cortos cuando jugaba al platano

Level completed: 34%, Points required for next Level: 463
    Achievements:
    The funny part about this is if Dig won, people probably would've complained about Dig getting two chances to win by going through the loser bracket. Anyways, good games to everybody who went to the tourney

Level completed: 9%, Points required for next Level: 735
    Achievements:
    Tagger Third Class 1000 Experience Points Repped! Third Class Full Profile! 1 year registered
    As a huge DiG fan it made me sad, but we got see some fantastic games and TSM won fair and square.

New Member Cupidhead Andronic0s's Avatar
    Level completed: 27%, Points required for next Level: 511
    Achievements:
    1 year registered 1000 Experience Points
    As someone who watches a lot of sports and had not really watched Esports before, it seemed very childish, this is the sort of thing I used to do with my buddies when playing street soccer "oh you guys won last match so you get a goal lead for the next one", you will never see advantages the directly influence the result like that in serious sports like tennis or soccer, the fact that the winner of the winners bracket gets a full day of rest is already an impactfull advantage worth fighting for.

In the end I think it backfired on Hirez since the grand final turned into just another match when their intention was to make it more epic with the best of 5 instead of 3.

Member Follower
    Level completed: 87%, Points required for next Level: 95
    Achievements:
    1000 Experience Points 1 year registered
    Quote Originally Posted by Andronic0s View Post
    As someone who watches a lot of sports and had not really watched Esports before, it seemed very childish, this is the sort of thing I used to do with my buddies when playing street soccer "oh you guys won last match so you get a goal lead for the next one", you will never see advantages the directly influence the result like that in serious sports like tennis or soccer, the fact that the winner of the winners bracket gets a full day of rest is already an impactfull advantage worth fighting for.

In the end I think it backfired on Hirez since the grand final turned into just another match when their intention was to make it more epic with the best of 5 instead of 3.

it is actually kind of unfair
    Last edited by SenorRaoul; 03-31-2014 at 06:25 PM. Reason: I reconsidered

Achievements:
    Quote Originally Posted by SenorRaoul View Post
    double elimination is childish, you heard it here first guys.
    Name one serious sporting event that gives the top seeded or best performing team a scoring advantage at the final game.

Member Follower
    Level completed: 87%, Points required for next Level: 95
    Achievements:
    1000 Experience Points 1 year registered
    see edit.
    I have no doubt that tsm would have won anywa.

Senior Member Honoured Aximundi's Avatar
    Level completed: 89%, Points required for next Level: 91
    Achievements:
    Much as i love dig... i don't think it would have mattered even

Level completed: 32%, Points required for next Level: 478
    Achievements:
    Quote Originally Posted by Andronic0s View Post
    Name one serious sporting event that gives the top seeded or best performing team a scoring advantage at the final game.
    Firstly your trying to compare this to a single elimination where in that case u don't have loser brackets and TSM would have won anyway as they won all thier matches and Dig would never had a second shot at a final as u know in ur serious sports once a team gets beaten in a tournament they go home.

And the fair thing in a double elimination is that the team going undeafeted thru winner bracket gets a point on the losers in finals as otherwise u would have had to have 2 finals where if TSM would had lost they also should get a second shot like Dig got when they lost.

And I think all teams in tournament rather see themselfs having a second shot in loserbracket and be 1 point behind in finals than that Dig for example would been sent home after thier first loss

Achievements:
    Don't get me wrong going into the tournament I didn't knew any of teams so I was a bit of a neutral and I think TSM where deserved winners, they won without losing a single game that is impressive! but the 1-0 nonsense I think was unfair on principle, they should have just let it play out.

Quote Originally Posted by Deumus View Post
    Firstly your trying to compare this to a single elimination where in that case u don't have loser brackets and TSM would have won anyway as they won all thier matches and Dig would never had a second shot at a final as u know in ur serious sports once a team gets beaten in a tournament they go home.

And the fair thing in a double elimination is that the team going undeafeted thru winner bracket gets a point on the losers in finals as otherwise u would have had to have 2 finals where if TSM would had lost they also should get a second shot like Dig got when they lost.

And I think all teams in tournament rather see themselfs having a second shot in loserbracket and be 1 point behind in finals than that Dig for example would been sent home after thier first loss
    There are plenty of tournaments where losers get second chances, for example World Cup group stages you can lose games and still make it through, it will set you up against a tougher team but the stronger team won't start with a 1-0 lead in the knock-out stages that is tipping the scales and is IMO a big no-no in a serious event, but maybe this tournaments wasn't meant to be taken that seriously and I guess that is fine.