Thread: Serious problem with matchmaking - Im a new player

Junior Member Cupidhead linkmike's Avatar
    Level completed: 37%, Points required for next Level: 253
    Achievements:
    31 days registered 100 Experience Points

Serious problem with matchmaking - Im a new player

Hello everyone, i have been playing for a week the game and i already like it too much.

I liked it that much, that I invested a lot of money, buying grim omens, battle pass and the gods pack. But i feel that i have lost my money by doing that, because the matchmaking I have had has been the worst I´ve seen in all mobas I´ve played before.

I´m not exagerating when i tell u that, 90% of the time I am with new players, lvl 5, 10 20, but not higher than that. But the enemy team players are always lvl 80, 70 or even 100.

It´s someone else having this "issue", or is just me?. Because right now I feel very mistreated by the game; I put my money (a lot of money), put my effort to learn a new moba and my time trying to figure it out how the game works, but it is very frustrating and sad to see that the game from the beginning being a new player, is already making you lose, basically intentionally, putting u against much more experienced players that obviously are gona destroy you easy an fast.

Thanks for ur attention. Have a nice day

Senior Member Chosen RockerBaby's Avatar
    Level completed: 5%, Points required for next Level: 1,148
    Achievements:
    Repped! Third Class Full Profile! 5000 Experience Points Veteran
    As a new player I wouldn't bother that much about winning. As a new player, really winning should not be expected. You are here to learn. If you get to win a few times in that process, that is nice (and smite allows that).

Getting a kill, escaping, making a good trade, getting a nice assist. These are nice goals. You can only learn adequately by facing better players. As a new player you should feel entitled and excited over facing better players, much opportunity to learn, copy builds, see plays etc. Your team is really irrelevant early on as is winning. Analyze the fights and just learn, if you face better players you will learn more.

I don't know how MM works these days for new players. But if you are good you will not stay with the bads for such a long time so just grind through it. Every stat and win matters so just do your best and eventually it should sort you in a good mm range. Don't worry you be the scrap of the team and the whole game soon enough, the enemies will lick their mouths realizing you are easy pickings, and at times your whole team will blame only you and rightly so and you will know it to be true

Sometimes MM gets screwed by groups that take a smurf or two in party. Two level 1s with 3 90s COULD be a good matchup for 5 lv 20ths IF it is actually 2 completely new players. BUT if those two are smurfs then all the fun is gone for the lv 20ths. Most times these days the low levels will be smurfs. For them they will get harder and harder games and in like 6-7 games they will hit a wall. For you though you might face 5 such groups in a row on a bad day and well that is just tough luck, it does mean though that the system thinks you are improving, the drop down is to face people lower then you with someone bigger on your team, its fun to pwn a bit but it also means you are there cause the system now values you less. The farther away from lv 30 you get the less likely you are to be in these matches. As rarely the matchmaker puts 5 50ths vs say 4 110s and a lv 5 (and if it does the 110s would have had to be salty, play bad and on tilt pretty much and deserve it). Sub level 30 is simply a bit iffy for lots of reasons, it has is special rules and when combined with people making groups it goes to shit pretty fast.

If we take away all smurfs from equation smites MM is actually pretty good. I can invite my brother to party who played smite twice. And I can have my girlfriend in party. After some 4-5 games we will have wins and losses spread out quite nicely over an evening. Few other mobas do this as well as smite. If population would be bigger and smurfs less of a problem (for say a price on every account) smites MM would be among the best I think, at least the way I prefer it, its easy to enjoy over an evening with its ups and downs. You can be drunk or have a shit day and after a few losses smite hands you an ez win.Smites MM is a bit jumpy so you get highs and lows and everything in between. Now you say hey I don't want this I want mm to reflect my skill. Well firstly smite is jumpy only from picks (in smite we try new Gods and sometimes all teams is lv I-II and enemy is all X, well shit happens). Secondly your experience would then be win everything at low mmr, then land in smack middle and you only get very close games for the rest of your smite career, never seeing much better players, never pwning worse players. You be 5-5-15 every game, or in a good game 7-5-16 and while such games are among the best, me personally I do not want them all the time.

These are endless nailbaiters over and over like I used to get in dota2 with some friends. Every game was like 45-50min, after 3 games you were exhausted cause if you didn't play 110% you would loose. And if people started to get tired and only play to like 95% we would loose and after that it would just go downhill, people whine, complain, tilt etc. So even if match was now slightly easier, 105% we loose. then we are at 90% well to bad match is at 100 now. And since mmr is not jumpy but stale we had the choice continue loosing or resume tomorrow and play 110% for 3 hours again. And you don't wanna fuck over your mmr so we stopped playing. When the game is so hard you can only play for a bit before exhaustion and have to stop to continue to wank over mmr something is wrong . In dota we do not try new shit we just play the Heroes we know well so we can win. In smite no such problem exist as you can climb to top of mmr ladder in just one day of consecutive wins in casuals (my ~30 game Tyr smurf got higher mmr then my main account) and if you try real hard you can get close to bottom as well, but you probably get reported in the process, there is no way of making it look decent enough. If you however play a completely new God well good news in smite after a few games you will have good matches, in dota you had to fall some 500mmr first over the course of like a week or two to be good at your worst heroes.
    Last edited by RockerBaby; 04-28-2020 at 01:19 AM.
    Rocking the boat

Junior Member Cupidhead linkmike's Avatar
    Level completed: 37%, Points required for next Level: 253
    Achievements:
    31 days registered 100 Experience Points
    after reading all that article u wrote, XD, I can notice u didnt understand what is my problem. The problem is not to be a newbie, the problem is that my matchmaking is a total joke, in always with new players against experiencied ones. how can u enjoy a game when u lost 10 or 13 matches in a row?. How can u learn something when u anad ur team are dead for more time than u are actually playing??

That makes any sense to you??

Senior Member Chosen RockerBaby's Avatar
    Level completed: 5%, Points required for next Level: 1,148
    Achievements:
    Repped! Third Class Full Profile! 5000 Experience Points Veteran
    You are not over level 30 = Newbie. The Matchmaker tries putting players under lv 30 together. However people group as lv 100 with lv 8 and that makes it hard for the matchmaker.

Quote Originally Posted by linkmike View Post
    after reading all that article u wrote, XD, I can notice u didnt understand what is my problem. The problem is not to be a newbie, the problem is that my matchmaking is a total joke, in always with new players against experiencied ones. how can u enjoy a game when u lost 10 or 13 matches in a row?. How can u learn something when u anad ur team are dead for more time than u are actually playing??

That makes any sense to you??
    Yes I tried to get that point across. There are a number of reasons for this.

1. Population is to low to find a suitable group of people in your mmr range for you to have a good match. When the que timer ends, there might only be say 18 people ready for a joust game that are within a reasonable mmr range. The best match for you here sadly isn't a good match, they will be 20 levels higher total. Like this game https://smite.guru/match/1030699128. To get a good match here you should have been 100lv+ but if no one is in que that is 100lv+ then it has to pick you. Solution: Play the most popular modes on peak hours.

2. Smurfs. For example this game: https://smite.guru/match/1030860562 Loki artemis and RA same party, Ra (unlikely) and/or Artemis (probably) could be a smurf here totally skewing the matchmaker.

3. The matchmaking is ok but someone in your team played a God they are not good with. Like this game you played. A level 129 player with 4 games total as Chiron. If he had picked neith or artemis that he has 500 and 200 games on you'd probably win this game. Shit happens. https://smite.guru/match/1031132267

And yes I also lost like 13-14 games in a row, it can get kinda annoying but I tried explaining how you should look at "winning" in such games/days. The goal should not be to win but to learn and make good plays individually.
    Last edited by RockerBaby; 04-28-2020 at 04:50 PM.
    Rocking the boat

Member Worshipper loupblanc10kai's Avatar
    Level completed: 78%, Points required for next Level: 182
    Achievements:
    Repped! Third Class 1000 Experience Points 1 year registered
    Matchmaking being updated in the latest patch.