Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: My Opinions on Smite: The Essay

Member Worshipper loupblanc10kai's Avatar
    Level completed: 78%, Points required for next Level: 182
    Achievements:
    Repped! Third Class 1000 Experience Points 1 year registered
    Quote Originally Posted by RockerBaby View Post
    Yeah relic dagger is pretty good.

Ares in assault with that against a team that don't wanna invest to much in cdr can be some great times.

Shield of regrowth used to be 10% cdr and like 30 phys prots. I thought it had its used back then even...

There are some items in game that provide A LOT for their price. Winged blade is another. Tried winged blade + warriors blessing in assault as starter? It can work really well some games.

I think some -50hp on some of these items would be fair. On blackthorn Im torn as it is now more expensive.

Other then that I wish they just bring back the old old spear of magus. Now its such a OP niche item on a few Gods, ares, aphro, zhong, probably forget someone. The old was like 35-50 power, 10 pen and -10 pen on dots with max 3 stacks. To fit current meta a bit more power say 60-70. 5 stacks just made it super OP but on 3 it was always a gamble to pick it and with current hybrid meta it wouldnt be OP I think. But offer more interesting builds to mages.
    Relic Dagger on frontliners/supports is kinda standard.

Merlin can use current Magus, but probably nobody on Merlin builds that on him now.

Hades in non-Conquest modes can use current Magus, but sometimes can't fit it in. Hades in Conquest, in Solo, people probably will not build current Magus. Not so sure about Hades in mid. Hades in Jungle, probably not cos people will get Charon Coin and/or Doom Orb for the movement speed to get around the map. He will just be a blink fear + ult bot, kinda like current Hun Batz blink ult bot.

Blackthorn Hammer (and Runeforged Hammer) have not been picked up as much after their nerfs, but they still serve their purpose.

Right now the annoying items are Charon's Coin and Heartseeker. Charon's Coin is a bloated item at 2600g. Heartseeker is an expensive 3100g item, but chunks hard.

Senior Member Chosen RockerBaby's Avatar
    Level completed: 5%, Points required for next Level: 1,148
    Achievements:
    Repped! Third Class Full Profile! 5000 Experience Points Veteran
    My only grief with Charons really is how easy it is to choose, it gives everything you want (especially in conquest). You will never really be punished for building it. 20% pene on a squish these days is like 10-15 flat pene late game. So building flat pen only benefits in a very small window during the game.

Personally I think heartseeker is fine, given the meta with people building hybrid and health items on everything but hunters and its price. I think power has been a little hard to overcome on phys for a long time, only trans or bloodforge to give a real spike (well and shifters). Now we also have heartseeker and the arthur sword cdr thing. I like phys meta at the moment a lot.
    Last edited by RockerBaby; 03-04-2020 at 02:22 PM.
    Rocking the boat

Member Worshipper loupblanc10kai's Avatar
    Level completed: 78%, Points required for next Level: 182
    Achievements:
    Repped! Third Class 1000 Experience Points 1 year registered
    My only grief with Charons really is how easy it is to choose, it gives everything you want (especially in conquest). You will never really be punished for building it. 20% pene on a squish these days is like 10-15 flat pene late game. So building flat pen only benefits in a very small window during the game.

Personally I think heartseeker is fine, given the meta with people building hybrid and health items on everything but hunters and its price. I think power has been a little hard to overcome on phys for a long time, only trans or bloodforge to give a real spike (well and shifters). Now we also have heartseeker and the arthur sword cdr thing. I like phys meta at the moment a lot.
    Well, Blink is gonna get nerfed in the next patch, so that should be good for some people.

But why they buffed Persephone, I have no idea. Her 2 was buffed a lot, and ult was nerfed to balance its ability to tilt teamfight balance in an instant. Overall, she was still buffed when there was no need at all. Crazy.

Achievements:
    Quote Originally Posted by loupblanc10kai View Post
    Well, Blink is gonna get nerfed in the next patch, so that should be good for some people.

But why they buffed Persephone, I have no idea. Her 2 was buffed a lot, and ult was nerfed to balance its ability to tilt teamfight balance in an instant. Overall, she was still buffed when there was no need at all. Crazy.
    Well its interesting to change blink its been the same a long time now. The distance change is gonna end up for a lot of misplays I think, very troll

Speaking of troll, I still forget to buy my 2nd relic since the change. And now the text only ever comes up after you leave fountain which for most modes is not super bad but in assault it is even more annoying now as it basicly just works as a way to gloat over you missing it.

I don't play perse but to me she is a bit of the case of Olorun, great ult but other then that meh, I prefer a bit more tilt towards a good kit then a super OP ult.
    Last edited by RockerBaby; 03-05-2020 at 11:29 AM.
    Rocking the boat

Level completed: 89%, Points required for next Level: 129
    Achievements:
    Tagger Third Class Repped! Third Class Veteran 5000 Experience Points
    Quote Originally Posted by AluminumMan View Post
    Your positioning and reaction time are key to dealing with blink, as are your communication skills.
    If blink had a cast time, sure, reaction would make a difference. But positioning is not a counter to blink rune, because you can only accommodate so much before you end up sidelining yourself to compensate for an enemy having blink rune. You do need to be in the thick of it so you can contribute if a fight starts, and you can't sit so far from the game that you don't get gold or XP.

Blink rune is not something that should exist in any game. DOTA is the only one that gets it somewhat right by giving it the absolute worst drawback, which is the consumption of an entire item slot, plus a hefty pricetag. Honestly, if SMITE wants to keep blink rune, it should do the same. 1500G item that gives you a consumable blink and literally nothing else.

Instant transposition external to a character's native kit is broken. It's why Flash has 100% pick rate and why Medivh has a 80%+ ban rate while being second lowest win rate outside of tournament play. It's not manageable and it's simply not fair.

P.S. Comparing Smite's gameplay and functions to another games' creates an atmosphere of reliance on those other games, for Smite to 'live up to them.' Saying 'even (other moba) can make (xyz) work' isn't a realistic way to explain something wrong in Smite. This isn't HotS or LoL, and Smite has made its own systems and design choices to adhere to.
    Doesn't change the fact that supports in SMITE are terrible, and that HotS handled the concept much better than SMITE did. This is ultimately not down to a design choice, but a design flaw. Issues arose when they originally tried it, and their solutions eventually just shut down the concept altogether. It's not alone in this, but that doesn't make it any better.

Junior Member Senior Cupidhead
    Level completed: 14%, Points required for next Level: 778
    Achievements:
    1000 Experience Points Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by AluminumMan View Post
    I spent the last hour and a half or so reading random threads in the forums. Lots of people are angry about the state of the game, it seems. I haven't posted in the forums before, but after tonight I feel like offering my two cents. Feel free to disregard at your leisure.

First and foremost, I see people shit talking the devs for poorly made systems and the same people later complaining about toxicity in the community. Whether the game is or is not poorly made, bringing it to the devs' attention in this manner doesn't help anyone. Also, talking mad shit is toxic, practice what you preach.

And secondly, I can't seem to wrap my head around why, if a person has such great disdain for the game and its creators, they would continue to play it. Y'all lurking in the forums like ghouls, lying in wait for the next chance to attack the devs, lol.

And, of course, 'bad' matchmaking. I can understand the upset, but to be honest, it's never upset me. There's always going to be someone better at the game. Accepting that is what helps me, myself, get better. There's a competitive game mentality, that winning is everything. In my own experience, losing a game is way more valuable. Losing should give a chance for you to reflect on your own gameplay and improve upon it in the next game. Suffice to say, not many people think like I do.

That's my two cents on Smite, not worth much, feel free to talk trash below. I'll read and respond to everything, even if you got nothing good to say. Also feel free to hit me up for some matches, I'd love to see ya there.
    Your two cents is appreciated to me if no one else.

I haven't joined a "ranked " game in a long time. I'm gonna give a shot and see what all this wall of text is about.

Junior Member Senior Cupidhead
    Level completed: 14%, Points required for next Level: 778
    Achievements:
    1000 Experience Points Veteran
    I can without a doubt say it's partially toxic, but not overwhelming so like I've seen it in the forums.

I think the game is evolving into something more and they're trying to find their footing, but in the process scraping their knees trying to find the right direction as a whole.

With that said, I play Assault or Arena where it's MUCH more casual. Getting into the exact meta of it? That's where you need a team.... You have to communicate and not having VOIP in random Ranked matches may not be the best decision.

Level completed: 42%, Points required for next Level: 291
    Achievements:
    3 months registered 500 Experience Points
    I think smite is better then its ever been. Matchmaking is nice both playing alone or in groups.
    Matchmaking has always been one of the worst problems with Smite. And it's not any better. If anything, it's gotten even worse.

The number of times I've seen full premades of 130+ level people (who are grouped with one low-level smurf friend) getting matched up against 10-20th level people is absolutely insane. Seeing 160th level people with 12k+ games played being matched up against lowbies who have 1/500th their experience, purely because they're grouped with their (usually smurfing) lowbie friend is beyond stupid.

Trying to defend the matchmaking of this game is either willful ignorance at best, or outright lying at worst.

Achievements:
    Quote Originally Posted by Absolme View Post
    Matchmaking has always been one of the worst problems with Smite. And it's not any better. If anything, it's gotten even worse.

The number of times I've seen full premades of 130+ level people (who are grouped with one low-level smurf friend) getting matched up against 10-20th level people is absolutely insane. Seeing 160th level people with 12k+ games played being matched up against lowbies who have 1/500th their experience, purely because they're grouped with their (usually smurfing) lowbie friend is beyond stupid.

Trying to defend the matchmaking of this game is either willful ignorance at best, or outright lying at worst.
    Compared to maybe 3 years ago yes it is not better. Compared to 6 months ago, much better.

So you are saying the matchmaking system is bad because people willingly exploit it? There is NO way the system can know if the account is a smurf or a real noob.

I made a smurf one time (to get the Tyr skin) and it took me 13 games to get higher elo then my main account and be matched with same people as usual. Compared to all other mobas this is rocket speed for the matchmaker to sort you out at a good elo.
    Rocking the boat