Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: My Opinions on Smite: The Essay

New Member Cupidhead AluminumMan's Avatar
    Level completed: 7%, Points required for next Level: 373

My Opinions on Smite: The Essay

I spent the last hour and a half or so reading random threads in the forums. Lots of people are angry about the state of the game, it seems. I haven't posted in the forums before, but after tonight I feel like offering my two cents. Feel free to disregard at your leisure.

First and foremost, I see people shit talking the devs for poorly made systems and the same people later complaining about toxicity in the community. Whether the game is or is not poorly made, bringing it to the devs' attention in this manner doesn't help anyone. Also, talking mad shit is toxic, practice what you preach.

And secondly, I can't seem to wrap my head around why, if a person has such great disdain for the game and its creators, they would continue to play it. Y'all lurking in the forums like ghouls, lying in wait for the next chance to attack the devs, lol.

And, of course, 'bad' matchmaking. I can understand the upset, but to be honest, it's never upset me. There's always going to be someone better at the game. Accepting that is what helps me, myself, get better. There's a competitive game mentality, that winning is everything. In my own experience, losing a game is way more valuable. Losing should give a chance for you to reflect on your own gameplay and improve upon it in the next game. Suffice to say, not many people think like I do.

That's my two cents on Smite, not worth much, feel free to talk trash below. I'll read and respond to everything, even if you got nothing good to say. Also feel free to hit me up for some matches, I'd love to see ya there.

Senior Member Chosen RockerBaby's Avatar
    Level completed: 5%, Points required for next Level: 1,148
    Achievements:
    Repped! Third Class Full Profile! 5000 Experience Points Veteran
    I think smite is better then its ever been. Matchmaking is nice both playing alone or in groups.
    Rocking the boat

I've never had an issue with the game and only REALLY see toxic people once every five or six games, and even then, theyre not so bad. I was so surprised to see all the stuff in the forums. I played more smite in the past few months than I ever had since when I started in 2015 or 14, I don't remember what year exactly. Just a while back.

Level completed: 89%, Points required for next Level: 129
    Achievements:
    Tagger Third Class Repped! Third Class Veteran 5000 Experience Points
    It kept its head above the water, mostly, avoiding most of the pitfalls that all other MOBAs (With the exception of Heroes of the Storm) tend to fall into. There's bad moves, such as the inability to handle healing and a slight overtuning of bruiser/tank damage, but nothing too egregious or upsetting to the game.

And then there's season 7 and there's blanket buffs to defense and blanket nerfs to offense, once more diving headfirst into the exact same territory that LoL also went into: Tank/Bruiser meta. Because why pick a damage dealer when you can pick an unkillable damage dealer?

That, and the outright moronic inclusion of Blink Rune. Because Flash worked so damn well in LoL's balancing favour.

Achievements:
    Quote Originally Posted by AluminumMan View Post
    I've never had an issue with the game and only REALLY see toxic people once every five or six games, and even then, theyre not so bad. I was so surprised to see all the stuff in the forums. I played more smite in the past few months than I ever had since when I started in 2015 or 14, I don't remember what year exactly. Just a while back.
    I think smite is less toxic then it was but its hard to say, toxicity was always worst at lower mmr so newer players will have a better view of that.

It kept its head above the water, mostly, avoiding most of the pitfalls that all other MOBAs (With the exception of Heroes of the Storm) tend to fall into. There's bad moves, such as the inability to handle healing and a slight overtuning of bruiser/tank damage, but nothing too egregious or upsetting to the game.

And then there's season 7 and there's blanket buffs to defense and blanket nerfs to offense, once more diving headfirst into the exact same territory that LoL also went into: Tank/Bruiser meta. Because why pick a damage dealer when you can pick an unkillable damage dealer?

That, and the outright moronic inclusion of Blink Rune. Because Flash worked so damn well in LoL's balancing favour.
    I think handling healing works so long as all team work together to achieve it, if no one or only one invest in antiheal it can become very tough.

While we have a slight tank meta now it has been way worse. When I started playing there was a mentality of damage meta (probably coming form conquest or something where dmg=faster farm = easier to win, I dont know cause I didnt play much conq for a long time). But for all other modes the tank items where extremely potent. Sov and Hw were much better and about a year after I started playing even buffed. Imagine playing thanna and loki when sover giving +30 prots aura and people picked it as first item in arena. You needed titans as 2nd item every game. In this meta going one big def item was actually better then it is now but it was just frowned upon so you didn't see it that much. I mean ne zha was a better hybrid dpser back then then he is now cause kit stronger and more leverage from the single tank item, few people built like that cause 100-0 in 2 sec just feels good. I think 50 less health on a few items would balance out current meta nicely. Another thing is maybe giving a bit more health dmg on health damaging items on their max value but im not sure I play to little to know for sure these days. Blink really is a staple in the meta at this point and its cd being lower then beads says devs prefer aggressive play over defensive which I think is healthy for the game.
    Last edited by RockerBaby; 02-29-2020 at 06:12 PM.
    Rocking the boat

Level completed: 89%, Points required for next Level: 129
    Achievements:
    Tagger Third Class Repped! Third Class Veteran 5000 Experience Points
    Quote Originally Posted by RockerBaby View Post
    I think handling healing works so long as all team work together to achieve it, if no one or only one invest in antiheal it can become very tough.
    I'm not referring to healing being OP. I'm referring to healers (Samedi, Chang'e, etc.) having their healing gutted to compensate for how important lane squatting is in one gamemode. And then anti-heal gets thrown in because they decided to give characters like Thanatos and Hercules the ability to heal ~75% of their max HP in an instant. Healer ability to sustain allies is negligible while self-sustain is too strong unless anti-healed. It's messy, and it misses the mark that HotS actually managed to hit where supports could carry by supporting. The concept of a healer in SMITE is, at this point, pretty much dead in the water. Except for maybe Aphrodite.

Blink really is a staple in the meta at this point and its cd being lower then beads says devs prefer aggressive play over defensive which I think is healthy for the game.
    It's certainly flashy, but it also encourages extremely defensive play because positioning is no longer a counter to some bruiser/tank waddling over to you and rolling their face across the keyboard for 70% of your squishy HP bar with a 3 second stun thrown in the mix. It's insanely aggravating to do nothing wrong, only to have someone push a button and instantly doom you because Blink Rune is just that broken.

I mean, there's a reason that Flash has been 100% pick rate in League from day 0. It's not balanceable. Even with the added drawback of 'no in-combat use', it's still an utterly broken item.

When you say "it's extremely aggravating to do nothing wrong" and then get rolled, it's not entirely true, imo. Your positioning and reaction time are key to dealing with blink, as are your communication skills. You still need those just as much as in any other situation in Smite. They may not be a 'counter' but, unfortunately, not everything needs a counter.

Blinking on someone isn't as simple as you make it sound, either. The button push is the easy part. Reading the situation to determine whether or not you can get a pick, or set up a play off of a blink takes a bit of quick thinking. Of course, you could always fire it off and hope for the best, but that's not the most sound strategy, because it doesn't always work. The technical aspect of blink might be seen as an easy engage, but the psychological side isn't so simple. Everyone can blink, this is true. But NOT everyone can blink well.

P.S. Comparing Smite's gameplay and functions to another games' creates an atmosphere of reliance on those other games, for Smite to 'live up to them.' Saying 'even (other moba) can make (xyz) work' isn't a realistic way to explain something wrong in Smite. This isn't HotS or LoL, and Smite has made its own systems and design choices to adhere to.

Achievements:
    I'm not referring to healing being OP. I'm referring to healers (Samedi, Chang'e, etc.) having their healing gutted to compensate for how important lane squatting is in one gamemode. And then anti-heal gets thrown in because they decided to give characters like Thanatos and Hercules the ability to heal ~75% of their max HP in an instant. Healer ability to sustain allies is negligible while self-sustain is too strong unless anti-healed. It's messy, and it misses the mark that HotS actually managed to hit where supports could carry by supporting. The concept of a healer in SMITE is, at this point, pretty much dead in the water. Except for maybe Aphrodite.
    Alright yeah I see your point. I still think both Hel and Aphro are strong healers, Yemoja as well. Sylv is an adc hybrid and super annoying when ahead or when slightly overtuned in meta. Guan is good for whole other reasons then his heal. Baron shouldn't be that strong as it cleanses slows and his ultimate actually does something pretty big in a teamfight.

About herc, thanna. Thanna pretty good in this meta right now, people are slightly less tanky and greedy with builds but the case has always been to get antiheal vs a thanna and it needs to stay that way, this is his main pressure on enemy, many outperform him in other areas. Herc is really good to but to make full work needs to land his 2 which is always smth easier said then done, if he uses his 1 he is deeply committed and would just fall over without his heal and prots, if you got exec and antiheal and he plays in like that most times he should be dead. These picks have always been best as either solo or duo picks for heals, say with an aphro or together. But if you over invest in heal you are just begging to get 40-100% countered in every fight and then the build situation ain't in your favor especially if the enemy has smth like a guan/hel which also demands antiheal to some degree.

Forcing 2 antiheal for a single herc can be a win on its own. Enemy having 4-5 antiheal items to counter 4 healers that is a disadvantage to the healer team.

It's certainly flashy, but it also encourages extremely defensive play because positioning is no longer a counter to some bruiser/tank waddling over to you and rolling their face across the keyboard for 70% of your squishy HP bar with a 3 second stun thrown in the mix. It's insanely aggravating to do nothing wrong, only to have someone push a button and instantly doom you because Blink Rune is just that broken.

I mean, there's a reason that Flash has been 100% pick rate in League from day 0. It's not balanceable. Even with the added drawback of 'no in-combat use', it's still an utterly broken item.
    I've been torn about blink for a long time, it does pose issues for the meta and it introduces possibilities. At one point I didn't like it at all. Now I just grown used to it being here. Never played hots or lol only dota. In dota it comes with a huge price which balances it, its pretty much core on some Heroes in dota and I'd argue it is the same in smite. In smite though it has no cost and even gods that do fine without it can now utilize it together with 2 other movement abilities and yes it has some issues.

The technical aspect of blink might be seen as an easy engage, but the psychological side isn't so simple. Everyone can blink, this is true. But NOT everyone can blink well.
    To an extent we are in a blink meta. Sometimes you see it on 5 people on one team in arena. In conq it is a little different and I do not play it enough to have an opinion on it. That arena can have 10 blinks just illustrates how important positioning is and a relic that has the lowest cds of all relics instantly gets you 50yds is a pretty big deal. A tank should never get away with blinking a squish, the rest of team should be there and cc quickly, someone with burst doing it is another thing as it can take just a few sec especially if they have more to give as enemy team comes in with your team just behind. Tanks in general need to hold the front and when it is time they can go from front to back, for this beads is almost always better then blink. If your hesitant about this try sprint+beads. Blink on a tank is risky and puts your positioning farther behind then you should, but for some like areas blink is just often tasty. BUT imagine a situation where Ares doesn't do his frontline job cause he wants to blink, when he blinks he can get nothing important. His front gets tied up and now he joins battle saving blink. At this point if he gets in a trade and can't get out to blink in again with ult he would be better off with beads so that he atleast can break cc chain (say a nox silence+hold, which btw on a good nox also can counter blink combos) and get off ult, in this case adding sprint to the mix is better initiation then blink. Especially since sprint helps people close initiate to follow on your combo, even if that in the end is just forcing an escape from agni and pulling their guardian or his ult, your merc can now go for the agni while rest of team pours in through the front. As opposed to blinking on agni just taking his beads. A merc has trouble with an agni that has escape but if agni has beads is almost irrelevant in comparison.
    Last edited by RockerBaby; 03-03-2020 at 06:08 AM.
    Rocking the boat

Member Worshipper loupblanc10kai's Avatar
    Level completed: 78%, Points required for next Level: 182
    Achievements:
    Repped! Third Class 1000 Experience Points 1 year registered
    Quote Originally Posted by RockerBaby View Post
    I've been torn about blink for a long time, it does pose issues for the meta and it introduces possibilities. At one point I didn't like it at all. Now I just grown used to it being here. Never played hots or lol only dota. In dota it comes with a huge price which balances it, its pretty much core on some Heroes in dota and I'd argue it is the same in smite. In smite though it has no cost and even gods that do fine without it can now utilize it together with 2 other movement abilities and yes it has some issues.
    Some history. Blink used to be on 100 seconds cooldown timer. This was nerfed to the current 120 seconds in Patch 5.4

In that same patch, Chalice of the Oracle got nerfed back to 400g cost, from 300g cost in Patch 5.1

When Chalice of the Oracle was cheap, Blink was less impactful. Now with Vision Shard, its a little easier to spot gankers hiding, waiting to blink in.

I don't find Blink to be broken or anything. It is something to worry about if you are on a god that has neither movement ability eg leap/dash or a CC immune ult. If a god has no leap/dash/CC immune ult, they will always be obvious blink targets and the player controlling such a god must play around that. Eg Zeus with his ult down is a blink target. Hera with her ult down and her Polymorph down is a blink target.

A god like Ah Puch with no leap and no CC immune ult is a very obvious Blink target. His ult used to help defensively, but not so much since the Gem of Isolation nerf. An Ah Puch with a speedy build can worry less about getting ganked/blinked on.

Have faced an Ah Puch with Talaria boots, Bumbas and Shield of Regrowth. Not fun at all.

That being said, facing a Tyr with Blink and Relic Dagger, also not fun at all.

Achievements:
    Yeah relic dagger is pretty good.

Ares in assault with that against a team that don't wanna invest to much in cdr can be some great times.

Shield of regrowth used to be 10% cdr and like 30 phys prots. I thought it had its used back then even...

There are some items in game that provide A LOT for their price. Winged blade is another. Tried winged blade + warriors blessing in assault as starter? It can work really well some games.

I think some -50hp on some of these items would be fair. On blackthorn Im torn as it is now more expensive.

Other then that I wish they just bring back the old old spear of magus. Now its such a OP niche item on a few Gods, ares, aphro, zhong, probably forget someone. The old was like 35-50 power, 10 pen and -10 pen on dots with max 3 stacks. To fit current meta a bit more power say 60-70. 5 stacks just made it super OP but on 3 it was always a gamble to pick it and with current hybrid meta it wouldnt be OP I think. But offer more interesting builds to mages.
    Rocking the boat