Thread: I don't see how new players just joining can ever close the skill gap

Level completed: 90%, Points required for next Level: 111
    Achievements:
    Repped! Third Class 5000 Experience Points Veteran

I don't see how new players just joining can ever close the skill gap

Smite, just like Battlerite and its predecessor Bloodline Champions, has an extremely high skill ceiling and the skill level directly corresponds to experience (i.e amount of hours played). Unlike games like LoL where at the higher stages everyone can master the twitch mechanics fairly well and it's more about macro map strategy, Smite has a much higher ceiling of twitch mechanics mastery.

Furthermore, average level of skill depends a lot of amount of hours played. I would bet that a silver or gold ranked player NOW could stomp any professional diamond+ player from two years ago. People are getting better and we have not even come close to reaching the wall to how good they can get. In LoL people reached a mechanical wall many years ago.

In a few years time I imagine that people will get so good that their game screen will just look like a blur because they are moving their camera so fast. The reason I say this is because at higher levels of play, the game rewards quick rotations and the best players play as if their "A" and "D" keys are basically unbound. It's faster to juke using high sensitivity on mouse setting because you avoid incurring the sideways movement penalty. As people get better they learn what's going on inspite of their screen looking like a blur.

Will it be possible for a new player just starting to overcome the many years of experience advantage that older players have?
    Last edited by Geff; 01-18-2020 at 03:33 AM.

Level completed: 28%, Points required for next Level: 289
    Achievements:
    31 days registered 100 Experience Points
    Why do they have to even close the gap. This is why there is match making. In theory you should have a balanced game based on your performance in past games. Everyone can enjoy Smite - at all quality of play.

Level completed: 90%, Points required for next Level: 111
    Achievements:
    Repped! Third Class 5000 Experience Points Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by Gwek View Post
    Why do they have to even close the gap. This is why there is match making. In theory you should have a balanced game based on your performance in past games. Everyone can enjoy Smite - at all quality of play.
    The standard deviation in player skill is too great. For matchmaking to work properly where it finds 10 people of roughly similar skill, there needs to be a huge population simultaneously queueing. Due to lack of sufficient population, matchmaking seems to be averaging skilllevel. This is why you find extremely low skilled players being placed on teams with extremely high skilled players so that the skill level averages out.

Level completed: 28%, Points required for next Level: 289
    Achievements:
    31 days registered 100 Experience Points
    One of the issues with this is so many game modes. It splits the que in so many directions. If the game simply had arena/practice/conquest. It would have better match making.

The other issue for better match making is ranked ques. Where pre mades are limited.

Sadly, match making in these games can be hard to nail. Its not like chess (where elo/MMR was originated) Its based on one players perforamce against others. Always in the same format. You simple get black or white.

Here you have team comp. god selection, build knowledge etc. That allow a persons MMR to fluctuate a lot from game to game.

Sure I wish there would be more close matches.