Thread: This is why I hate hunters

Level completed: 20%, Points required for next Level: 882
    Achievements:
    Tagger Third Class Repped! Third Class Veteran 5000 Experience Points

This is why I hate hunters

I had Deathbringer, Wind Demon, Poison Star and Rage, with at least two stacks on Rage. Duel ensues between me and Hou Yi. I hit him four times. Of those four times, only the first hit was a crit. That has a .02% chance of occurring. And it could very easily have killed me. The game could've decided, arbitrarily, to make me lose that fight (Provided the enemy had landed more shots).

This is not the way to make crits work in SMITE. This is not the way to make crits work in PvP, industry-wide, but that's a bigger topic.

Old Rage was a much more appealing figure, as it enforced a level of stability. You had a minimum guarantee for crits, and that was unbelievably reassuring. Luck played a tiny little bit less of a role in playing a hunter, and I think crit should be reworked to function more in that vein. For example, an alternative mechanism could be that items with crit just stack up per hit. For example, every successful hit with Deathbringer gives you 25 stacks. 100 stacks = crit. Simple as that. More crit, faster stacking. No luck, no fuss. Even a little depth in the ability to hold onto a critical strike.

Senior Member Honoured Wildstreak's Avatar
    Level completed: 20%, Points required for next Level: 728
    Achievements:
    Repped! Third Class 1000 Experience Points Tagger Second Class 1 year registered
    Or you could learn Crit is NOT king, stop being like other players building so much Crit you lack other qualities needed and have better success.

Level completed: 20%, Points required for next Level: 882
    Achievements:
    Tagger Third Class Repped! Third Class Veteran 5000 Experience Points
    Quote Originally Posted by Wildstreak View Post
    Or you could learn Crit is NOT king, stop being like other players building so much Crit you lack other qualities needed and have better success.
    Almost no hunters can do even halfway decent damage if they're not running a hard crit build. And if I am going crit, I HAVE to go almost 100% crit chance, because otherwise I won't get sufficient crits.

Senior Member Chosen RockerBaby's Avatar
    Level completed: 24%, Points required for next Level: 841
    Achievements:
    Repped! Third Class Full Profile! 5000 Experience Points Veteran
    Hunters job is to wear down their front line, notably the guardian and warrior. For this qins+exec builds in general is king.

If they however build hybrid with little health or have a team of carry squishes you are free to go crits, just don't forget high power and some lifesteal. With 4 crit items you will be lacking either pene OR power OR as. Those last 3 are more important. No use having crits without high power. The only exception to this rule is really the passives of wind and poison that can make it worth on its own but really isn't since poison got nerfed in my experience.

You gotta keep the hunter mentality in mind even when crit building. You job is to wear down from say 80-90% (cause someone should have initiated and started before you get there) to like 15-20% (cause it is not your job to chase and finish. [[In general]]. With crit build if you rely on a crit with say 40-50% chance to do your job and only have time for 2-3 autos that is not good enough. 4-5 autos with 40% chance and crits and total dmg should be well enough (note again; not for kill, so one crit is enough, simply to deal enough dmg to put them on retreat, if you crit 2-3 times and they die well good for you, when achieved low health on target you prepare to switch targets cause hunter should waste no time chasing, all time should be spent positioning and keep pressure with autos up on their team as a whole, primarily their frontline). If your job can't be done consistently with crit build then you are better off with high power and more AS for consistency.

Also this is exactly how crits work in almost all games like this, its industry standard. The trick is to balance power, as and crit chance so that even with exceptional odds you can manage the situation and rely on crits to come in the frequency you expect as you land more hits. If this is not possible, on a non steroid hunter for example vs high mobility targets, then you are better of skipping the crits and go for a more reliable build either sustained dmg with as + power and in the rare cases where you do not even have time for 3 autos to stack exec, get titans, hydras, high power and a little AS and just contribute with a few high dmg autos when the short moments of putting in damage present itself.

Hunters in smite are sustained dps and debuff with exec for warrior and assass to deal more dmg, not to 100-0 in 2sec. Crits do work for sustained dps. But for the scenario you seek to get 2-3 crits quickly for a quick kill is not really hunters in smite work.
    Last edited by RockerBaby; 10-28-2019 at 07:18 PM.
    Rocking the boat

Senior Member Honoured Wildstreak's Avatar
    Level completed: 20%, Points required for next Level: 728
    Achievements:
    Repped! Third Class 1000 Experience Points Tagger Second Class 1 year registered
    Quote Originally Posted by Firellius View Post
    Almost no hunters can do even halfway decent damage if they're not running a hard crit build. And if I am going crit, I HAVE to go almost 100% crit chance, because otherwise I won't get sufficient crits.
    If you believe this, you should never play Hunter again since it is false and shows you do not know how to build a Hunter.

Level completed: 43%, Points required for next Level: 636
    Achievements:
    5000 Experience Points Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by RockerBaby View Post
    Hunters job is to wear down their front line, notably the guardian and warrior. For this qins+exec builds in general is king.
    Hunters exists solely to down objectives ot be honest. Executioners is a brokeass item but kept as is because no other item helps with power curves like it does and Hirez can't think of ideas. It's so easy to build boots+trans+asi+executioner+double crit and sell boots for cheaper crit item or Qin's if you have passive damage/pen to back up the crit loss because games go past 25 minutes where 6 slotting a hunter isn't rare.

Also did no one note he was fighting a HOU YI, the god with crit immunity for 3 seconds after receiving one?

Quote Originally Posted by Firellius View Post
    Play Jing Wei then at this point. Out of all the good hunters she's the one who can rock it well since Xbal can build anything cuz Xbal, Ullr scales amazing off crit but his damage rotation has the same TTK regardless of crit or pen+on hits so you might as well do cheaper builds unless you really want to crit the FG that bad. Anhur has one of the best general use hunter passives because an items worth of free item penetration is that good and with how loaded items give for hunters state wise he can hit high AS and power numbers easier. When Hachiman sometimes gets picked he can go crit but his 1 doesn't scale off it.
    Last edited by KAKLAW; Yesterday at 06:23 AM.