Thread: Hi, recently started your game but haven't come back because of a possible bug

New Member Cupidhead SumNakdDude's Avatar
    Level completed: 12%, Points required for next Level: 353
    Achievements:
    7 days registered

Hi, recently started your game but haven't come back because of a possible bug

First, I think it's crucial you understand I'm a third party here. I only played about a week or so and haven't paid a dime yet. (stopped playing almost 2 weeks ago now, but have been communicating with your support team)

It's important to understand that I don't have an axe to grind because I'm not invested in your game so my only motivation is a vague regret because I did enjoy the game, and a commitment as a fellow developer (about a decade) to help preserve the integrity of a project that has tremendous investment on your part. It's just something I know I would want to know.

I think you may have the Ghandi bug in your matchmaker.

I have been gaming for over 20 years so I'm a good gamer but I'm trash at your game currently because I'm a noob. No muscle memory. No skill or character knowledge. No timing. I have no problem with this, of course because that's just how gaming works. My fiancee and I reached level 17.

The Ghandi bug is something from the Civilization games where an error in their code made it such that Ghandi's aggression could get so low it would wrap around to the highest level aggression and he would start using nukes and constantly threatening genocide. It was so funny that it's now a permanent part of the game. I realize if we look at the precise mechanics of that bug we're talking about something that likely couldn't happen in more modern coding but something similar might still happen from a higher operational standpoint.

I think a newby can be so bad that they get ranked with some of the best in the game via your matchmaker...

Just addressing the alternative seems ridiculous

I'm going to just ignore the possibility that brand new players would be matched against extremely experienced players, because that would also require the assumption that you are utterly sabotaging yourself on purpose. It would require the presumption that you don't understand the faintest thing about getting and keeping new players. It's an absurdity beyond all reason and would be an insult to you to strongly believe it is possible you would purposely create such a 100 mile high impenetrable wall for new players.

I did however, speak to my son who is also a very good gamer and gets ranked very high in any game he plays and he said he him and his friend had the exact same experience. They played for a week and quit upon being utterly destroyed again and again. (playing against obscenely superior players)

This sort of bug in a matchmaker would destroy your game and be almost impossible to detect. Let me relate my experience.

We had only just started stretching out legs into other game modes from arena and had played maybe 3 of the normal game modes and perhaps a few of other game modes. The first game of Joust we played we ever played we got laughably destroyed. Obvious gigantic skill level difference so we didn't play for a while. We came back to it and played four games in a row. In each of these, the other team had clanmates playing together and crushing us while our third player was not in a clan at all. On the fourth and final game, instead of putting us with a player significantly better than us to make up the difference, finding equal players, or at least keeping us with equal teammates, we were placed against clan associated people again while our teammate literally threw himself in 1v4 (3?) over and over from the beginning. (obvious completely new to MOBAs entirely)

Instead of compensating, it amplified the problem manyfold.

I had to endure 10 minutes of being absolutely crushed and humiliated over and over while live streaming our game. ***0 to 22*** with no possibility to even surrender the entire time. Incidentally, I do find it a little strange that in the entire time this game has been live you haven't thought to add a surrender vote ability when there's a 10+ point spread.

My account hasn't played another single game since so it's an excellent source for information about what your system is doing and I suggest you investigate this possibly long-standing barrier to growing your player base.

I can still imagine this is "working as intended" if there is some executive making decisions. ...in which case I feel for the impending doom of your company. I too have felt the sting of corporate raiders and executives gutting my projects with their arrogant stupidity. It's such a common story it's cliche, but I find it nearly impossible that any person capable of actually designing a game would purposely set up the system to work in this way. That's just unfathomable.

I can, however, see a bug repeatedly passing alpha and beta testing because ensuring proper matchmaking is more sorcery than design and is nearly impossible to test properly(...and impossible for normal users to recognize and report)

Please to look closely at this problem. I have a lot of other games on my plate so, regretfully, may not be returning to this one, but I wish you best of luck! (and just in case I decide to play again some time soon I'd capture my current account info ASAP)

If you discover this bug, however, I strongly suggest you let some major game news places know about the fix and take the "bad" press as good press which will then let all those former new players who, like myself, have tried your game and will otherwise never try it again, know they were the victim of a bug, not an unplayable game. They may give you another shot.

If you let press know the comparison to the Ghandi bug, there is both a major developer making a "similar" mistake as well as the funny good press it has gotten which will soften the feel of the whole thing. ...and who couldn't use a little extra press?

Again, good luck!

New Member Cupidhead SumNakdDude's Avatar
    Level completed: 12%, Points required for next Level: 353
    Achievements:
    7 days registered
    Stopped back by because I really enjoyed this game. Sad to see there's literally zero response to this thread.

Senior Member Honoured LinkNightblade's Avatar
    Level completed: 35%, Points required for next Level: 593
    Achievements:
    Repped! Third Class 1000 Experience Points Veteran
    Hi-Rez/Titan rarely, if ever responds to these threads. They look at them occasionally but nothing is guaranteed.

Unfortunately, what you were experiencing, is exactly what was supposed to happen. And that's a big oof on their part. You were partied with another player, your fiance if I'm reading and remembering correctly. And that's where your problem stemmed from. The matchmaking system will always try to place you against other parties before skill right now (at least that's how it appears to me cause I've been experiencing similar issues in conquest). It will assume that as a party, you'll be in comms of some sort (they have built in VC so any party is assumed to have comms), and cause of that assumption it'll inflate your 'skill'. Just as it should cause a team thats actually talking will have far better team play and mechanics then those not talking.

Each mode also has its own set of internal scoring and ranking so you need to play lots of games in each mode to hit the appropriate skill match for your games. I imagine if you start playing again, and regularly across all the modes, it will slowly start to match you properly, party or not.

Senior Member Chosen RockerBaby's Avatar
    Level completed: 47%, Points required for next Level: 584
    Achievements:
    Repped! Third Class Full Profile! 5000 Experience Points Veteran
    There is little Hi rez can do about smurfs. That is new accounts started by experienced players to wreck havoc on noobs.

The matchmaker will sort them away from low level games fairly quickly though, but from the noobs perspective other smurfs will still get into their games every so often.

There is no fix for this for a free to play game like smite.
    Rocking the boat