Thread: are there any tips for how to get better?

Level completed: 11%, Points required for next Level: 359

are there any tips for how to get better?

Ok so I'm level 25 in Smite and right now I don't feel like I'm going to hop back in a queue for the sake of other players. I try to stay positive when losing a match and keep my not so nice thoughts to myself, I don't flame in chat, I just politely ask them to stop doing because (reason) or I just say play it safe. But there comes a point where your faith is tested lol, I haven't flamed anyone and I never will because it will only hurt the morale of the team. I'm currently on a an 8 game loss streak, the final loss wasn't so bad but I'll explain later, first few games people instalocked, I asked if the last person could go a tank so we could defend our squishes, nah he goes thoth, but that's ok I have no right to tell someone how or what to play. Anyone in a few minutes our Daji initiates and gets bursted in 5 seconds lol. (Sorry this is so long I'm not ranting, I hope) this persisted for the rest of my games, but looking back I can't hold it against them, they're probably newbies like me that don't understand that team comp plays a big part in winning fights, My final loss before I got off to calm down wasn't so bad because our team was doing fine the enemy team just had better players but we managed to put up a fight.

TL;DR I am on an 8 loss streak due to instalocking and weird decision making (mercy on them because they're noobs like me) I'm really trying to keep the blame on me for losses

I just really don't know what to do anymore because nothing is wrong with losing, but when it happens back to back to back, your positive attitude gets tested, I just wanna know from you guys in what I can to improve myself because that's the only thing I can control. Ty for your time if you read all this, sorry if it sounds like I am ranting.

Senior Member Chosen RockerBaby's Avatar
    Level completed: 59%, Points required for next Level: 453
    Achievements:
    Repped! Third Class Full Profile! 5000 Experience Points Veteran
    I think I have a 15 loss streak or smth as my record, maybe even more.

And at times I have played with top elo arena players and guess what? they don't even know there how to pick a good comp. 95% of games ppl select 3 backliners -> 2 mages, 1 hunter and one assass. I'm like thanks if I wanna have good chance of win I have to play athena. But I never pick athena for those games, I pick loki or something I find even more troll. And then lobby is like "we needed a tank", and I'm like "no we needed 2 tanks". For some reason half games enemy has some 3 front line up, or even 4 front, totally owning those squishy solo tank comps, playing solo tank in such games is incredibly frustrating, so I rather troll pick but that is just me.

Anyway for a relatively new players I would just try and play Gods you like, find some in each class you like and focus on becoming better in your own plays.
    Last edited by RockerBaby; 01-25-2019 at 02:06 PM.
    Rocking the boat

Level completed: 11%, Points required for next Level: 359
    Quote Originally Posted by RockerBaby View Post
    I think I have a 15 loss streak or smth as my record, maybe even more.

And at times I have played with top elo arena players and guess what? they don't even know there how to pick a good comp. 95% of games ppl select 3 backliners -> 2 mages, 1 hunter and one assass. I'm like thanks if I wanna have good chance of win I have to play athena. But I never pick athena for those games, I pick loki or something I find even more troll. And then lobby is like "we needed a tank", and I'm like "no we needed 2 tanks". For some reason half games enemy has some 3 front line up, or even 4 front, totally owning those squishy solo tank comps, playing solo tank in such games is incredibly frustrating, so I rather troll pick but that is just me.

Anyway for a relatively new players I would just try and play Gods you like, find some in each class you like and focus on becoming better in your own plays.
    yeah, but usually it won't end well because they'll end up making poor engagement decisions and feed, which disallows me from doing anything.

Senior Member Chosen RockerBaby's Avatar
    Level completed: 59%, Points required for next Level: 453
    Achievements:
    Repped! Third Class Full Profile! 5000 Experience Points Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by Ozwarts View Post
    yeah, but usually it won't end well because they'll end up making poor engagement decisions and feed, which disallows me from doing anything.
    If winning is what you care about and you play arena, pick Athena.

Other good picks that can solo tank and do something else on their own, Xing, Herc/Tyr (but hard), Baccus, Achilles. Ymir for example is super bad solo tank, if you initiate you cant peel for team, get kited in mid field until you or team is dead.

Its still a clown fiesta with one tank in arena (except for athena) and who wins is just a toss of a coin due what picks counters what mostly. If you actually have a good draft going then what will take you to next level is knowing how to best fill in a team that is already good but then go and make it even more cancer (and if in doubt just pick athena).

And its not as simple just to build a wombo combo or whatever. I sometimes pick ares and ppl are like yeah lets wombo combo, and we get poseidon, neith, hun batz, discordia. Thing is investing to much into a potential combo aint good, then you see ares ult 4 ppl and everyone avoids it with beads or ult and ure whole team puts down their ults on nothing And what we have for potential peel with this team? Pos 1, disc 2, neith 1 and batz ult, only batz ult is a good peel out of all these, ok the others are decent but could very well not be enough. You need not more then 2 Gods to wombo combo, let the other 3 do something totally different.

For arena ideally you want:
    1-2 tanks 1-2 hybrids (2-3 total)
    2 ranged initiate "grabs", like scylla, ullr, nox, neith, ravana...
    1 adc (mainly for anti tank duty, if enemy team has any clue of draft you cant win without adc, if its clownfiesta then who cares)
    1 good tank buster (some adcs but tbh not all, they need a good cc to fullfill this criteria or a super good steroid, sry cupid but yes kali, nemesis work or a support zhong with gem and spear)
    1 reliable slow
    1 reliable stun
    1-2 aoe dmg zoner, cupid, puch, zeus...
    1 reliable silence
    1 long range pick off (thor, merc, neith...)
    the more ults with cc immune the better
    if you go for ares or similar get at least on more God on team that can easily make work around beads being of CD, da ji, fenrir, nox...

if 2 magical dps its nice if 1 support magical that can use gem of iso and spear of magus well
    if ure main dmg is phys you want a warrior as diver (for void shield)
    if ure main dmg is magical u want a guardian as diver (or zhong) (for void stone)

In addition to all this some Gods and comps love diving in then you can have a backline that is flexible in its positioning and also have some self peel. Other comps might rely on 1-2 to setup to bring their front down and the 3 rest just holds ure own backline really stable and dominated the team fight mid field, so you wont ever mow down the other team unless you get a good teamfight but u are so stable back they wont get anything on you either and getting in with their tanks is hard as you hold middle so well. After u bring their front down or low these 2 other Gods can go to their back and wreck havoc.

What to prioritize over all this comes with experience I tried listing the things in the order I think is most important. Its from a solo Q perspective. Might very well be someone who frequently Qs with 2-4 friends that have coms might look at it differently.
    Last edited by RockerBaby; 01-28-2019 at 12:05 PM.
    Rocking the boat