Thread: Mechanics Questions: Item Abilities vs. Tick-based/Multi-hit attacks

Level completed: 5%, Points required for next Level: 382

Mechanics Questions: Item Abilities vs. Tick-based/Multi-hit attacks

Hi,

I'm new and I have a few related gameplay mechanics questions. The first is, do item abilities that trigger on god abilities occur once per ability tick, or just once per ability? As an example, I was considering trying Ares with Gem Of Isolation. This would be great if the slow keeps getting reapplied with each tick of his lengthy abilities (obviously it won't stack, but slowing for 5.5?s vs 2s is a big difference). Likewise, Soul Reaver would be really good with Anubis' ultimate if it happens per-tick.

A related question is, do item effects happen for every enemy hit with a multi-hit attack or ability? For example, does the fourth hit from Odysseus' bow apply the lightning effect once for each enemy hit by Izanami's basic attack (potentially dealing a lot of damage to enemy gods standing in a group of minions), or does the effect only apply to the first enemy hit?

My final question is, do effects that require attack/ability hits to gain stacks occur per-tick/hit, once per attack/ability, or something else? For example, if I'm using Ares' fire attack and I hit one god with 2 ticks and another once and I have Soul Gem, how many stacks will I get? And if I'm also using Spear of the Magus will the first god be debuffed once or twice?

I know I can try this stuff out, but it can be hard to tell what's actually happening in the middle of a game. I also tried a forum search but nothing came up, so that's why I'm asking. Thanks for any help!

The Mad Hatter Prestigious Relanah's Avatar
    Level completed: 15%, Points required for next Level: 938
    Achievements:
    Full Profile! 1 year registered 5000 Experience Points Repped! First Class
    Quote Originally Posted by Sylnox3 View Post
    The first is, do item abilities that trigger on god abilities occur once per ability tick, or just once per ability?
    It varies.

There's no consistent behaviour and it all depends on the item in question.

I think the easiest way to convey the mechanics would be to go over all of the proc items individually:

Atlanta's Bow - Will gain a stack per target hit. Allowing multiple stacks to be earned with cleave attacks.

Brawler's Beat Stick - Will apply the debuff on every instance of damage. Allowing DoT effects to prolong the duration.

Divine Ruin - Will apply the debuff on every instance of damage. Allowing DoT effects to prolong the duration.

Ethereal Staff - Will only occur once per ability usage, irregardless of the number of targets hit.

Frostbound Hammer - Will debuff every target hit. Allowing cleave attacks to debuff multiple targets.

Gem of Isolation
    - Will apply the debuff on every instance of damage. Allowing DoT effects to prolong the duration.

Heartseeker
    - Will gain a stack per target hit. Allowing multiple stacks to be earned with cleave attacks. Damage will only occur once per ability usage, irregardless of the number of targets hit.

Ichaival
    - Will gain a stack per target hit. Allowing multiple stacks to be earned with cleave attacks.

Odysseus' Bow - Will only gain one stack per basic attack, irregardless of the number of targets hit. Damage will only occur once per basic attack, irregardless of the number of targets hit.

Qin's Sais
    - Will deal damage on every target hit. Allowing cleave attacks to deal damage to multiple targets.

Shaman's Ring - Will apply the debuff on every instance of damage. Allowing DoT effects to prolong the duration.

Soul Gem - Will only gain one stack per ability usage, irregardless of the number of targets hit. Damage will occur on the next instance of ability damage, meaning that an AoE ability can cause a proc on multiple people if they're hit simultaneously (Otherwise, it will proc only on the first target hit, even if the skill then proceeds to hit other targets). The heal will occur only once irregardless of the number of targets hit.

Soul Reaver - Damage will occur once per target, per ability usage. Meaning that AoE skills can proc the damage on multiple targets, though it does not benefit from DoT/multi-hit abilities.

Spear of Desolation - Will apply the debuff on every instance of damage. Allowing DoT and multi-hit effects to build multiple stacks.

Stone Cutting Sword - Will debuff every target hit. Allowing cleave attacks to debuff multiple targets. Also builds a stack per target hit, allowing cleave attacks to build multiple stacks.

Stone of Binding
    - Will proc only once per ability usage, irregardless of the number of hits or number of targets hit. Side note: It can proc off Gem of Isolation being applied (Will still only proc once per ability usage though)

Toxic Blade - Will debuff every target hit. Allowing cleave attacks to debuff multiple targets.

I believe that's all the items with procs... Let me know if there's one I missed that you're curious about.

*Sigh* Consistency, thy name is Lo-Rez...
    Preferred Gods:
    Aphrodite, Awilix, BAEllona, Da Ji, Discordia, Fenrir, Janus, Jing Bae, Nike, Nox, Skadi, Sol and The Morrigan.

We need more kawaii skins!

Senior Member Chosen RockerBaby's Avatar
    Level completed: 27%, Points required for next Level: 807
    Achievements:
    Repped! Third Class Full Profile! 5000 Experience Points Veteran
    Gem of iso can be nice on ares, he can also work with spear of magus.

Odysseus is an item I started picking up some lately. It doesn't multi proc of izanami but it does add some aoe dmg which for some games is so good, feelsgood when someone gets out of range only to get killed when their teammate rotates in and starts taking hits. Izanami has so much AS in her steroid though and if you already have exec and qins chances are you overcap AS.

BTW I have a build for Kali that is Odysseus + Golden blade (rest power items and exec) and it shreds teamfights in some scenarios. I only got to build it once but when I did in an assault game it made us win (assault clumps up ppl more then other modes).
    Rocking the boat

Level completed: 5%, Points required for next Level: 382
    @Relanah Great, thank you very much for the list! I was hoping there was some consistent behavior across items that I just wasn't finding on the wiki, but this is next best thing.

@RockerBaby Thanks for the tips! I just got Izanami and she's pretty cool. I've usually been starting with Ninja Tabi, then Odysseus followed by a couple of crit/power items (for Arena, as that's what I've been playing). It seems to work pretty well when I actually manage to aim, and being able to shred any group of minions in seconds is a nice plus.

The Mad Hatter Prestigious Relanah's Avatar
    Level completed: 15%, Points required for next Level: 938
    Achievements:
    Full Profile! 1 year registered 5000 Experience Points Repped! First Class
    I just got Izanami and she's pretty cool. I've usually been starting with Ninja Tabi, then Odysseus followed by a couple of crit/power items (for Arena, as that's what I've been playing). It seems to work pretty well when I actually manage to aim, and being able to shred any group of minions in seconds is a nice plus.
    Izanami is pretty cool. If you can get the hang of her basics she's very strong.

I still remember this one arena game where I was playing Izanami and was full build, and then the enemy Athena dash taunted me... Towards her team... Then I walked away with a Quadra kill because I just flung my Kama through the enemy team due to the taunt and was critting like heck on all the squishies xD

Everyone always forgets about the piercing basic attacks
    Preferred Gods:
    Aphrodite, Awilix, BAEllona, Da Ji, Discordia, Fenrir, Janus, Jing Bae, Nike, Nox, Skadi, Sol and The Morrigan.

We need more kawaii skins!

Senior Member Chosen RockerBaby's Avatar
    Level completed: 27%, Points required for next Level: 807
    Achievements:
    Repped! Third Class Full Profile! 5000 Experience Points Veteran
    @Relanah Great, thank you very much for the list! I was hoping there was some consistent behavior across items that I just wasn't finding on the wiki, but this is next best thing.

@RockerBaby Thanks for the tips! I just got Izanami and she's pretty cool. I've usually been starting with Ninja Tabi, then Odysseus followed by a couple of crit/power items (for Arena, as that's what I've been playing). It seems to work pretty well when I actually manage to aim, and being able to shred any group of minions in seconds is a nice plus.
    Np, if you build that lot of AS do not forget to get power items, especially with crit. Trans, Soul eater, Bloodforge (and even shifters shield) give good power in one item. I usually have trans in build when getting Oddy as trans lack as and oddy bonus dmg works of power which trans give a ton of.

If you can get a trans as 2nd item and then oddy or well get trans 3rd item if you fancy oddy 2nd, should be stacked up in no time with iza clear. Then for last 3 slots you can get crit or whatever you like.

When I play Iza arena I really like crits, nothing better then hitting a clump of enemies and critting them all (remember to not press ure 1 in times like that as you loose ure pierce). Like warrior, exec, wind, poison, deathbringer, bloodforge.

Keep in mind that what makes executioner so good is that the prot shred not only gives you more dmg on follow up spells and basics it also allows your warrior and assassin to deal more dmg to the target you are hitting, which in arena is pretty good, but if you face only squishies and you don't trust team to work with you, you can skip exec.
    Rocking the boat

Guide Senior Cupidhead MuffinMan17's Avatar
    Level completed: 23%, Points required for next Level: 694
    Achievements:
    Tagger Third Class 1000 Experience Points Repped! Third Class Veteran
    In general, if you do decide to go with crits, try to avoid items that have 0 power, such as Odysseus' Bow or Asi. Crits scale off of basic attack damage, and that's enhanced by power and pen. There are plenty of items that have power + AS, and depending on the god, you may not need too much AS, if they have a good steroid.

The time you can get the items with 0 power (but good AS) is when you're going with Qin's Sais as your main damage source, since you're relying on its passive proc for your main damage boost. More hits there = more procs. Qin's is also often a better choice when you're using a god that doesn't have a steroid. This allows you to build high base AS, and not worry about losing efficiency by hitting (and passing) the AS cap of 2.5.