Thread: Papa Rodins impressions on Arthur

Senior Member Infamous PapaRodin's Avatar
    Level completed: 69%, Points required for next Level: 543
    Achievements:
    Repped! Third Class Repped! First Class Party Person Tagger Third Class Full Profile!

Papa Rodins impressions on Arthur

Yes, yes, I still exist, much to the bane of some people.

Missed the patch notes yesterday because I was busy doing Karaoke with some asians, so that was fun. Had the opportunity to play the Arthur on the PTS today though, so that was good. Was waiting for Arthur for quite a while and had high hopes for him.

First of all, you don't need me to tell me that he is super strong. But I will tell you anyway. Arthur is very strong.

1. The basic attacks
    His basic attacks are special in more than one way. As his passive tells you, Arthur does not benefit from Attack Speed in the typical way. This means that his attacks will always come at a rather slow pace. They do have a lot of unique quirks about them.

A. They cleave.
    His basic attacks cleave closeby targets. We have a lot of gods who have this, the only thing that is special about Arthur in this regard is that secondary targets don't suffer from the full damage. It's only 33% of the regular damage. Still, a cleave is a cleave and thus it is gratefully accepted.

B. The dash.
    His basic attacks are unique to him in that they are the only ones that actually move him. Using his basic abilities causes Arthur to dash forward. I measured it in jungle practise and the BA dash has a length of about 12.5 units. It is noticable and makes using basic attacks with him quite entertaining. I sadly wasn't able to test if he can use them while crippled, but I hope that I will be able to do that anytime soon. Or someone else does, I don't mind outsourcing.

What is important to know is that any form of backpaddling causes Arthur to basic attack without dashing forward, so keep that in mind.

C. Cancels.
    He has them on some of his abilities. Some can cancel into basics, some can cancel out of them. The 2 in both stances and the 89 Energy ult were the best ones imo because those abilities are among the fastest in Arthurs kit. More on that later.

The combo system.
    All of Arthurs abilities move him in and out of his base and combo form. The form change lasts until you use the next ability, so you are free to use abilities in your free time so that you can start a fight in whatever way you see fit. The only exception to this is the ultimate, but more on that later.

The 1.
    The closest thing one can describe as Arthurs bread and butter move. His abilities are all fairly close in importance and usage, but this is one of the biggest hitters and influencers while also being the first one you probably want to rank up. I won't bore you about the damage numbers, they are high overall and that is all you need to know for the most part. Now for the interesting things.

A. Overhead Slash
    This ability hits pretty hard and if you are close to your target, it hits even harder. The peculiarities about this ability are that similiar to the basic attacks, this ability forces Arthur to move in a certain way. While he wounds up, he moves forward by about 10 units. He can pass through enemies while doing this, which may end up positioning you behind your target. The damage still seems to hit enemies even if they are behind you when it happens, so there may be some opportunity for cute dodges with this, but I wouldn't stress too much about it. After Arthur made his swing and shot the shockwave, he will also take a step BACK. This step back will only be 5 units and, depending on how movement heavy the encounter is, can also move you through the enemy back in front of them. The wound up is fairly long. When I tried it in Jungle practise, I wasn't able to re-align my aiming the way I could with Ullrs Axe throw for example. In an actual game, it seemed to work, but the game was laggy and buggy, so I wouldn't take either of these for granted. The targeter is rather narrow, but it does reach far.

Mind that you can be CC'd out of the winding animation quite easily, but it won't take away your CD.

B. Hamstring
    This is a wide cleave hit that hits for great damage. The wind up for this is again a bit slow, but still faster than Overhead Smash. I can see why this ability cripples, giving the name, but Arthur really did not need this 1.25 second cripple on it. Alas, he has it, so you might as well make good use of it. Because the wound up is rather slow, you can't punish movement with it much less than being able to prevent it in most cases, so time this move wisely and keep track of enemy movement abilities to make the most out of this.

The 2.
    This is in most cases the last ability Arthur will rank up and also his least damaging ability, maxing at 140 in both variants at max rank. I would also go as far and say that this is one of Arthurs most important abilities to use and understand.

Battle Stomp
    Arthur will be stomping soon, so it is only natural that he has a stomping move in his kit. This ability deals AOE splash damage in a smallish circle around him and slows targets. The slow becomes potent at higher ranks, so that is good. Contrary to the 1., this ability is rather fast in comparison and you can cancel into and out basics with this ability just nicely, so keep that in mind.

Uppercut
    In my opinion Arthus best and most important move. This is a dash that also knocks up targets that you hit. What makes this ability so great is how fast it is. It goes off almost immediatly as soon as you hit the button (or let go of it, depending on your settings). The damage is nothing to write home about, but the mobility this provides paired with the easy to apply CC is a huge boon in Arthurs kit and set's up a lot of plays for him and others. Add to that that this ability is predestined for in and out BA cancels and you can have yourself a ball.

The 3.
    This ability will be what you max after your 1 (and your 4, naturally). The variants of this ability combine a strong mix of high damage, utility and mobility.

Twin Cleave
    Usually your bread and butter when it comes to closing gaps. A typical dash that has two instances of dealing damage throughout its course. The damage prot shreds for 7%. I forgot to check if there is a sweet spot where you can hit one enemy twice with this and if the debuff stacks, so that is a question for later. The dash is rather broad, so you can get a lot of goodness out of that in a teamfight.

Bladestorm
    One of Arthurs hardest hitting abilities by far, but also one with interesting utility. Arthur spends quite a while, spinning around and is knock up immune while doing it, so that will allow you to counter some annoyances. Because the ability takes quite a while, your other ability CDs have some time to keep ticking while you use this, so that is good too. The damage, if you hit all attacks, will rack up to very high amounts. Keep in mind that this ability can be countered by stuns and silences which makes the entire damage potencial and the cooldown fizzle. The range is good, so you will get a lot of millage in a teamfight with this.

This is another ability that forces Arthur to move in a certain way. He will automatically move forward, so you will have to stir him. Think of Guan Yus ultimate, but without the added MS. And the horse. You can spin around an enemy and confirm all hits that way.

The 4.
    This ability got me hyped as a gamer if only for the visuals. All abilities and Arthurs passive let him gather energy which you can spend on the two variants of this ability exclusively. The base version costs 35 energy, the other one 80. This ability is different from the others because the combo system does not apply to it. You will always have the ability available that is in concordance with your current energy level. If you have 80 or more, it will be Excaliburs Wrath. If you have less that 80 energy OR Excaliburs Wrath is on Cooldown, it will be Sundering Strike. The other way around as well.

Sundering Strike
    Remember Devil May Cry? If so, you will join me in a moment of gleeful recognition when you see this move for the first time. We are looking at Dantes signature move "Stinger" here. A dash forward, piercing enemies with your sword. Unlike Dante, Arthur does not send his enemies flying but instead stuns them. This move was a bit buggy whenever I used it in heated situations, so I hope that they will work out the kinks about this soon. Overall, you won't use this move as much as you would think because in most cases you will find yourself able to use this, it will be because either don't have the Energy for it or because you already have enough Energy to use.....

Excaliburs Wrath
    or, as I like to call it, Great Aether. Because it is Ikes Final Smash from Super Smash Bros. This ability can best be described as a variant of Ne Zhas ultimate. The dash is broader but not as long and less fast. No button input is required in between and there is no crit damage involved, BUT.....it deals a mix of regular physical damage and damage based on the targets maximum health. There is no reason for true damage on this, yet it is here. As far as I can tell, the enemy is banished when Arthur uses this and both him and his target can't be targeted by others while he slashes away, so there are a lot of useful ways for this gem in general. Arthur is also completely CC Immune when he dashes even if he does not hit a target, so he has this big advantage over Ne Zha going on for him too. A very satisfying ability to use and your kit has a lot of ways for setting this up.

The passive
    The passive is surprisingly simple. Arthur can't increase his Attack Speed. AS he gains instead increases his energy regeneration from abilities. I don't find this to be particularly useful and can live without it just nicely, so you won't have to pay much attention to this factor. The stacking damage mitigation and energy regeneration increase you get from an ongoing barrage of attack is another matter of course. Damage mitigation is always welcome and while Energy isn't as crucial as one might think, the CD on the 4. is low, so you will find ways to make use of the extra energy, especially if CDR becomes involved.

Noteworthy Items
    Given how we are looking at a god with 8 damaging abilities, it is clear to see that some Items will be highly interesting in some way, shape or form on him. I will give you my thoughts on some of those.

Gladiator Shield
    8 damaging abilities, some of them having very wide targeters mean that you will get a lot of health and mana out of this, especially as soon as teamfights start and you will have more than one target to hit. The CDR is also nice to have.

Crusher
    The other end of the spectrum. Instead of healing yourself with each of your 8 abilities, all of these 8 abilities get extra damage, so that is huge and will quickly add up as a game progresses. The AS will translate into higher energy rate, so that is cute too, I guess.

Soul Eater
    Similiar to Glad Shield, this Item paired with the high ability damage Arthur has on almost all of his abilities will allow him to gain a big amount of sustain as well. Soul Eater is an Item that is being slept on, so keep in mind that this exists.

Hydras Lament
    As I mentioned before, a lot of abilities cancel in and out of basics quite easily, so you can get a lot of millage out of Hydras if you want to. It is definitively worth to note.

General Observations
    From my playtesting this far, I find that Glad Shield and Crusher are way too good to pass up. That aside, Arthur is in the weird situation where he does not need a lot of anything and benefits greatly from it. He makes next to no use out of AS Items, so not having to bother about that is a blessing. One would think that having huge amounts of CDR would be necessary on him. And one would be wrong. You can fly around with him just pretty with 10 to 30 percent most of the time, so you are sitting pretty in that regard as well. That leaves a lot of free Item Space you can spend into more damage, utility or protective measures.

As strong as Arthur is, he is not without his weaknesses. As I said, a lot of his abilities have quite long wind up animations, so well timed/prepared CC can ruin your day. Especially Cripples have a potencial for disaster given how dash heavy his kit is, but I would actually have to test in detail how strong cripples counter some of his moves.

Most people won't be bothering about this small detail, but Arthur is not the god that will be big in business when it comes to killing towers. No AS is a hindrance in that regard, but you have teammates for that, right?

Mana costs on his abilities are overall on the low side, but with how much time you will spend spamming, especially in longer encounters, the strain can still be noticable. Of course, this is being off-set to a great degree by Gladiators Shield, so there is that.

Final Verdict
    Arthur is super strong and fun to play, so expect him to be nerfed soon. There are a lot of things in his kit that are there just to be there even though they have no business being there. We could get rid of the cripple, the prot shred, the increasing slow, the damage mitigation and the percentage damage and Arthur would still be super strong.

Given how he is the only god in the game with 8 damaging abilities, it is inevitible that Glad Shield and Crusher will be looked at because whenever we have an overpowered god that can abuse certain Items/mechanics, said Items and mechanics will get nerfed to keep the new god shiny, OP and interesting until he gets nerfed months later anyway while the rest of the playerbase can enjoy playing with broken and underwhelming Items.

That aside, I am looking forward to playing a lot of Arthur as soon as he hits life. I will be having a good time. Enemies probably less so.

If anyone has some kind of question of interesting idea to consider, post them below and maybe we will find out something else that is new and interesting.
    Last edited by PapaRodin; 12-22-2018 at 07:10 AM.
    Papa Rodins Words of Wisdom
    An Index Page for threads created by me for you.

Last Update: Let's fix this God: Nu Wa!

Banned Follower
    Level completed: 21%, Points required for next Level: 559
    Achievements:
    1 year registered 1000 Experience Points
    Yes Arthur is strong. However, he is not op. I really like his kit. A majority of people will find him difficult to play because all of his abilities and ult are quick cast. Most people in smite don't use quick cast ( at least the ones I've asked) so they won't be used to it nor imo do well on Arthur.

Senior Member Chosen RockerBaby's Avatar
    Level completed: 48%, Points required for next Level: 580
    Achievements:
    Repped! Third Class Full Profile! 5000 Experience Points Veteran
    From what little I've seen so far.

Great clear for conq, he can clear whole wave with 1 skill which is nice.

He has good aoe dmg.

He has almost no CC, and no teamfight presence other then dmg. A 0.5sec knockup and a slow can't compare to what most other warriors have. And then there is his ult, compare bellona on demand long range aoe stun with his line stun (under 75 energy), not even close. At full energy sure deals nice dmg, but that is also all he has, dmg.

So great lane bully but I think he will fall off a lot late game in conq, a lot of other warriors just brings more to the table especially on demand, like chuchu ult, bellona ult, tyr push etc.

From what little I've seen in arena so far he is a non factor, he has nothing to really setup for team. I used knockup and got teammate nox silence and they run out off it cause nox missed her root. Point is the cc doesn't last long enough to get a lot of worth out of it.

I didn't even notice the cripple effect on his 1 yet but maybe after some more games.

His mobility for a warrior is also kinda bad.

To early to make a good call on him as he seems kinda intense to really get and learn to play well.

I can safely say its not a push buttons lol I win noob God like (release) Baron though, Baron still OP btw.

edit: I think he might need a buff, but only gave conquest one game today so I might be wrong in saying that. Buffing his CC seems iffy, maybe that works otherwise I actually think they need to buff his base dmg as his kit really doesnt allow to play around with cc buffs/nerfs a lot.
    Last edited by RockerBaby; 01-07-2019 at 09:06 PM.
    Rocking the boat

Banned Follower
    Level completed: 21%, Points required for next Level: 559
    Achievements:
    1 year registered 1000 Experience Points
    Well after playing him, he is very lackluster. His cc durations do dick. He is easily cc'ed out of any combo. His ult has a bug. Not as mobile as other warriors. I don't like how every AA is a lunge forward, if you're nit careful aaing you can get yourself into some shit.

His damage is really good though. I would still rather play Bellona or cu chu. Their ults actually have team fight impact.

Just my thoughts

Senior Member Honoured VlentisFlyheightis's Avatar
    Level completed: 99%, Points required for next Level: 15
    Achievements:
    1000 Experience Points 1 year registered Full Profile!
    He needs a lot of work.
    His base HP feels pretty low for no natural kit sustain, and he's slow as hell.
    His lurching basics are buggy as hell, imo take out the tracking and just give gim 50% faster auto attacks, he cant use hastened or frostbound or increase his base attack speed anyway.
    His CC doesn't do jack in a team fight, the fact you have to use your knock up to confirm his overhand slash half the time doesn't help. He needs at least like, a root on his stomp.
    My final thought is he needs CC immunity on one of his spins, probably the blue one for fairness sake, as he cant get out of a colapse at all.
    Ares stole Aphrodite from Hephaestus
    Ares killed Poseidon's son for rape and was aquited for murder
    Ares is both the Father AND Grandfather of the Amazons. Feel free to "EWWW"
    Ares turned a guard that failed to anounce Helios into a rooster
    Ares supported Trojans. Ares has a ton of kids

Senior Member Honoured SquireAngel's Avatar
    Level completed: 2%, Points required for next Level: 888
    Achievements:
    Repped! Third Class Full Profile! 1000 Experience Points Veteran
    I feel like some aggressive items similar to glad shield are probably coming in season 6 to help promote lane bully warriors, as the meta does currently love them much. If he can turn lane bully into actual map pressure, I can easily see him having staying power on the roster

Achievements:
    Im still shit on arthur but I think an interesting approach is trying him without boots, his range with skills is not tied to ms.

Also he can move around decently with just his melee jump thing.
    In arena I could hold middle by jumping in and out with just melee swings and no boots. But if they move the fight very long to sides you will be late, which can be offset with a blink of course.

For conq I'm not sure but if there ever was a God that could be played without boots it might just be Arthur.

I have 3 or 4 games with Arthur and I haven't "gotten" him yet so maybe its just a super bad suggestion. But someone good with him should try it out.

Alternatively you can go something that just packs more punch then boots stat wise for the late late game, say a masamune and not skimp totally on the ms.
    Rocking the boat

Senior Member Honoured Diamondrainn's Avatar
    Level completed: 39%, Points required for next Level: 552
    Achievements:
    1000 Experience Points Full Profile! Veteran
    I'm even going to bother playing him. And his ult really looks strange LOL. I just never seen or read Arthur jumping in the air and slashing and hacking like that. I wish they could have just kept that in the ground oppose to the air but to each their own I suppose.
    Last edited by Diamondrainn; 01-09-2019 at 09:29 PM.
    Diva Aphro, "Gurl bye!"
    That means Bye Biach!

Achievements:
    After playing him some more I think he is decent. Not great but ok. Wouldn't hurt to give him a little buff somehow though.

Maybe a bit more dmg on his 2? Especially the orange colored one. Its skillshot and mostly single target so it wont be a huge buff. I could see that having a bit higher base and also a bit higher scaling to reward power a bit more.
    Rocking the boat

Senior Member Honoured VlentisFlyheightis's Avatar
    Level completed: 99%, Points required for next Level: 15
    Achievements:
    1000 Experience Points 1 year registered Full Profile!
    Quote Originally Posted by Diamondrainn View Post
    I'm even going to bother playing him. And his ult really looks strange LOL. I just never seen or read Arthur jumping in the air and slashing and hacking like that. I wish they could have just kept that in the ground oppose to the air but to each their own I suppose.
    It's literally an homage to Omni-Slash from Final Fantasy 7, the main characters final Limit Break. FF7's highest damage ability was the Summon Knights of the Round, literally having the full Round table each take a shot at the enemy finishing with Arthur.
    Ares stole Aphrodite from Hephaestus
    Ares killed Poseidon's son for rape and was aquited for murder
    Ares is both the Father AND Grandfather of the Amazons. Feel free to "EWWW"
    Ares turned a guard that failed to anounce Helios into a rooster
    Ares supported Trojans. Ares has a ton of kids